Incoming Litigation Associate Looking for Tips Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Incoming Litigation Associate Looking for Tips

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:19 pm

Hi y'all:

I'm starting as a litigation associate next week, and I am looking for advice or tips on how to add value as a first year. This has been done before (This thread is a gold mine viewtopic.php?f=23&t=281818), but I am looking for any additional information, especially in the era of remote/hybrid work and remote hearings.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Incoming Litigation Associate Looking for Tips

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:19 am

In terms of adding value as a first-year lit associate:

(1) know the good facts of your assigned case (i.e., those that help you tell your client's side of the story)
(2) know the bad facts of your assigned case (i.e., those that help opposing counsel craft their narrative)
(3) knowing 1 + 2 will lead you to shine in your first years as a junior associate

In terms of longevity as a lit associate:

(a) figure out how long you want to work at a law firm (for most people, it's until they pay off a significant part of their loans, save up for a downpayment, reach a certain net worth, etc)

(b) if you want to gun for partnership in biglaw lit / boutique lit, I can't help there (as I'm in-house now)

(c) if you want to move in-house, DO EMPLOYMENT LITIGATION. Way easier to move in-house as an employment litigator than any other kind of litigator in my experience. FWIW, I was a non-employment lit associate and it look me 3 years to find an in-house job.

Whatislaw

Bronze

Post by Whatislaw » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:47 am

^solid advice. Knowing facts and deadlines are good. Also become familiar with local rules, chamber rules, etc. (or at least have them handy so you can check when asked). Look at jury instructions (e.g., in CA look at CACI) and it'll help you understand what is needed to prove certain claims and you'll identify relevant facts.

tlsguy2020

New

Post by tlsguy2020 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:10 pm

Spend some time looking at docs in your cases’s folder within your firm’s document management system. This can be a goldmine of background into big cases where each of your assignments might not make sense in context.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”