Thoughts on Jones Day NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
almostperfectt

Bronze

Re: Thoughts on Jones Day NY

Post by almostperfectt » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:10 pm

People on this forum are not a fan of the Jones Day system. Probably due to black box.

You'll get more traction if you explain why you're not bothered by the black box system

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:41 pm
I am unbothered by the blackbox comp.
you might wanna elaborate, because what blackbox means for 99% of people is ...the firm is paying them less than their (purported) peers in NY. it's an open secret at this point, check the various Jones Day threads on here

are you a midlevel or coming off a clerkship, so they're offering a multi-year guarantee or something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:57 am

Jones Day anywhere ain’t great.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:48 am

Every JD thread goes the same way. Most ppl here hate the place because of the black box (aka below market) comp, with some added spice for political reasons. Then a group of people who are definitely not JD shills pop up defending the place. And nothing new is added. Personally I don't understand how a firm that doesn't pay market is V50 or even higher; buying a handful of SCOTUS clerks shouldn't overcome that for the rest of us. But I understand that in smaller markets it's top dog.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:08 pm

JD Associate. Blackbox means most people getting paid a little less to a lot less than market. I like working here, people are nice, work is interesting, etc. But truly, I can’t imagine my experience differs much from peers at places like Mayer Brown or White & Case, other than the fact that I make $5k-$10kish less. As such, the reasons to go to JD NY are (1) no other market paying offers and (2) market paying offers are at places with notorious culture issues or with very clear stability problems.

ETA: I can give more solid insight beyond Blackbox if your questions are a little more specific other than a general “how’s Jones Day”?

Edit 2: also want to be clear that I make $5-10k less than market depending on how you control for hours reqs, but I’m pretty sure I’m on the higher end

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:08 pm
JD Associate. Blackbox means most people getting paid a little less to a lot less than market. I like working here, people are nice, work is interesting, etc. But truly, I can’t imagine my experience differs much from peers at places like Mayer Brown or White & Case, other than the fact that I make $5k-$10kish less. As such, the reasons to go to JD NY are (1) no other market paying offers and (2) market paying offers are at places with notorious culture issues or with very clear stability problems.

ETA: I can give more solid insight beyond Blackbox if your questions are a little more specific other than a general “how’s Jones Day”?

Edit 2: also want to be clear that I make $5-10k less than market depending on how you control for hours reqs, but I’m pretty sure I’m on the higher end
Also a JD associate; also happy to chime in if you'll give more information. JD NY has some strong practice groups and some weak practice groups. Overall, it's not a bad place to work. Where else do you have offers from?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:22 pm

It's located inside a posh mall by the waterfront. You can take long sunny walks and enjoy happy hour oysters and martinis every day.

sy_k

New

Post by sy_k » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Also a JD associate; also happy to chime in if you'll give more information. JD NY has some strong practice groups and some weak practice groups. Overall, it's not a bad place to work. Where else do you have offers from?

I'm interested in mainly corporate and am considering DLA and Blank Rome as well. I am not too troubled by the 5-10k difference at JD and am more concerned about work cultures, training, mentorship, and, to some extent, exit options. If you could touch on that, I'd appreciate it.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:40 pm

sy_k wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm interested in mainly corporate and am considering DLA and Blank Rome as well. I am not too troubled by the 5-10k difference at JD and am more concerned about work cultures, training, mentorship, and, to some extent, exit options. If you could touch on that, I'd appreciate it.
Honestly I'd actually consider taking JD and then trying to lateral to a market-paying firm. Jones Day seems to be pretty substantially better at corporate work in NY than either of those other two options.

I could see the argument for DLA in that you could probably lateral to a better firm from there anyway and you'd likely at least make market in the meantime.

I wouldn't really consider Blank Rome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:27 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:40 pm
sy_k wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Honestly I'd actually consider taking JD and then trying to lateral to a market-paying firm. Jones Day seems to be pretty substantially better at corporate work in NY than either of those other two options.

I could see the argument for DLA in that you could probably lateral to a better firm from there anyway and you'd likely at least make market in the meantime.

I wouldn't really consider Blank Rome.
I think this is credited. I'd add that JD NY corporate associates generally get treated well by the blackbox. Some make at or near market and a few make above market. But don't count on that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:17 am

FYI: It is my experience that most JD midlevel and senior associates are underpaid $50k or more, not $10k.

publius365

New

Post by publius365 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:57 am

The cream does not go to Jones Day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:47 am

Very funny to hear that the cream doesn’t go there—they have 100+ SCOTUS clerks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

publius365

New

Post by publius365 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:47 am
1. It's a meme.

2. If you're a SCOTUS clerk, you're probably not straw-polling TLS. Anyways, while it's great that the firm buys SCOTUS clerks, for the other 99.99% of law students...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:13 pm

My point is just that the actual cream does go to Jones Day, although I agree that some people below that do not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:02 pm

publius365 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:47 am
1. It's a meme.

2. If you're a SCOTUS clerk, you're probably not straw-polling TLS. Anyways, while it's great that the firm buys SCOTUS clerks, for the other 99.99% of law students...
Like most firms, JD has a mix of good and bad resumes. Some offices have major talent, especially current HQ (DC) and former HQ (Ohio). Other offices don't have much at all. JD NY is middle of the road. It has great partners and gets V15 laterals, but it struggles somewhat during on-campus recruiting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”