H-1Bs and Green Cards Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

H-1Bs and Green Cards

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:17 pm

I'm an international student with a full-time offer from a NY V20, and I want to see what's on the table for me when it comes to possibly staying in the US long-term.

I know that many firms have H-1B policies in which they will sponsor/apply for the H-1B Visa at least twice: once during the OPT period, and, if that fails, once again while posting you to an international office. Green card policies seem to vary more -- in general, it looks like firms will begin sponsoring once you enter your third year with them.

It's been really hard to find information about this stuff, so I was wondering if any posters could chime in with their stories about how they navigated this process, and how they raised the green card conversation -- it seems like such a taboo subject.

Woods&Hills

New

Re: H-1Bs and Green Cards

Post by Woods&Hills » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:55 pm

Kind of in the same boat. Please PM if you want to discuss more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:09 am

Latham will apply for H1-B twice as you described and will make an effort to move you to their London / Hong Kong / Singapore office if you can't work in the US while waiting for an H1-B.

Latham also will start your green card application in January of your third year if you're in good standing (i.e. not about to be fired so practically guaranteed). I have heard of laterals negotiating green card sponsorship shortly after joining but have less info on that.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:39 am

This is definitely an important consideration for international students. Here's a chart that was put together in an attempt to aggregate as much info on firms' practices as possible. Still highly incomplete, so all help anyone else has to offer is appreciated, but it should be a decent start:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”