Summer Associates v. First Year Associates : Social Events Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FutureisFintech

New

Summer Associates v. First Year Associates : Social Events

Post by FutureisFintech » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:46 pm

Do firms hold class wide social events, similarly to the ones they hold for Summer Associates, for junior associates (like Yrs, 1 & 2). Obviously, they probably don't happen as often as they do for the summers (if they happen at all) and are probably not as "grandiose". I'm more so speaking along the lines of the firm renting out a bar or holding a firm sponsored happy hour/celebratory event, just to keep morale up or something.

Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associates v. First Year Associates : Social Events

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:41 pm

I left BigLaw as a 5th year and don't remember any "class-year" specific events.

Dahl

New

Post by Dahl » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:05 am

We had a weekly happy hour, in the office, but not many people attended. There were a lot more practice group specific forced social events that I remember and none were fun.

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:41 pm
I left BigLaw as a 5th year and don't remember any "class-year" specific events.
Those would get pretty depressing around 3rd year

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:37 am

Dahl wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:05 am
We had a weekly happy hour, in the office, but not many people attended. There were a lot more practice group specific forced social events that I remember and none were fun.
The magic really leaves the air entirely the moment first year orientation week is over

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Idontwanttomakeaname

New

Post by Idontwanttomakeaname » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:44 am

Definitely Not North wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:37 am
Dahl wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:05 am
The magic really leaves the air entirely the moment first year orientation week is over
OP is in for a rude awakening. I was one of those people who thought I “got” it and was shocked at how truly different being a first year was

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:10 pm

first years this year are probably going to get more social events than normal though because they missed them during their SA due to COVID. some partners actually want to get to know the incoming classes for some reason

almostperfectt

Bronze

Post by almostperfectt » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:09 pm

Ironically this is a great way to figure out the culture/vibe of your firm. Ask the associates in the group you're in if they get together for happy hours/events (whether formal or informal) and whether the firm bankrolls it.

If they all say no, then these people don't like each other and LMAO good luck with your firm choice.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:51 am

can someone confirm that K&E NY took a bunch of juniors to the Nike store and told them to buy themselves swag. like the "treat yourself" episodes in Parks & Rec. (I realize this sounds like a parody of a Kirkland event, but I was told this by a friend who works there.)

if this is true, there's that, OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mardash

Bronze

Post by mardash » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:33 pm

almostperfectt wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:09 pm
Ironically this is a great way to figure out the culture/vibe of your firm. Ask the associates in the group you're in if they get together for happy hours/events (whether formal or informal) and whether the firm bankrolls it.

If they all say no, then these people don't like each other and LMAO good luck with your firm choice.
Agreed as to the first point, but everyone saying no can also be a sign people like spending time with their families—to which I also say good luck with your firm choice!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:28 pm

Definitely Not North wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:34 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:41 pm
Those would get pretty depressing around 3rd year
We had these in my 3rd and 4th year and it was depressing (everyone is always tired and most of your friends are long gone) but also hilarious (because it's for "morale" but just involves people shitting on the firm and various people loudly enough for HR/prof dev to hear, getting angrier and angrier in proportion to the alcohol).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:09 pm

We had these until the class got senior enough and small enough that it was hard to find a time that guaranteed a good turnout. I didn't personally find the transition "depressing," we just all eventually got more integrated with our work teams and their schedules than our class year.

I think, more than class year events, practice group or all attorney events are more common. My firm, prepandemic, would do at least one all attorney happy hour event a month, and some seasonal social events like around the holidays, the new partner admissions, a legal conference gala we sponsored, aniversary events, stuff like that. We would also do at least some "happy hour" versions of practice group meetings. I might be a sucker, but I always really liked them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”