Will RTO be pushed to January? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Will return to office be pushed to January (or later)?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:09 pm

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 107

Anonymous User

Will RTO be pushed to January?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:09 pm

?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Will RTO be pushed to January?

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:10 pm

Good question to Google.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:39 am

CanadianWolf wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:10 pm
Good question to Google.
You seem to misunderstand what the OP is going for by using a Poll. Let me help!

A "poll" is defined by Meriam-Webster as "a questioning or canvassing of persons selected at random or by quota to obtain information or opinions to be analyzed." It is a useful tool for getting the opinions of a selected sample of the population, such as for example lawyers and law students who might review this website

A "google search" is designed to search for existing information. It's only useful in identifying the opinion of a segment of the population if a poll already exists to have acumulated that information. While a google search might identify what law firms are saying they will do, it would be less useful than a poll on TLS at identifiying what people who are on TLS think they will actually do.

Hope that helps.

(I might be in a bit of a cheeky mood)

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:35 pm

woah surprised at the >20% no

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:52 pm

I work for Weil in their Restructuring Group (used to be called BFR). I pray to God I don’t have to go back to that god-awful shithole. Cheers to hoping they push out the RTO to January.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:53 am

Bosque wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:39 am
CanadianWolf wrote:
Good question to Google.
You seem to misunderstand what the OP is going for by using a Poll. Let me help!

A "poll" is defined by Meriam-Webster as "a questioning or canvassing of persons selected at random or by quota to obtain information or opinions to be analyzed." It is a useful tool for getting the opinions of a selected sample of the population, such as for example lawyers and law students who might review this website

A "google search" is designed to search for existing information. It's only useful in identifying the opinion of a segment of the population if a poll already exists to have acumulated that information. While a google search might identify what law firms are saying they will do, it would be less useful than a poll on TLS at identifiying what people who are on TLS think they will actually do.

Hope that helps.

You missed the point of my post. Google had just announced that employees would not be required to return to the office until January 10, 2022 at the earliest.

https://zdnet.com/article/google-delays ... uary-2022/

Hope that helps.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:13 am

CanadianWolf wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:53 am
Bosque wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:
Good question to Google.

Hope that helps.

You missed the point of my post. Google had just announced that employees would not be required to return to the office until January 10, 2022 at the earliest.

Hope that helps.
Lol ok sure. Still doesn't answer OP's actual question.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:19 am

On topic, I am getting to be of the opinion that the "return to office" dates might not move, but they are just going to be toothless for at least a year. So the firms with October dates might keep them, but it won't really be much different than it is now, where you have the option to go in but don't need to.

Also, as much as I don't want to give up my personal office, I am still thinking sometime in 2022 we see some large AMLAW 100 firm whose lease is up make the jump to a shrunken floorplan. Don't know precisely what they will land on (i.e., smaller offices, hoteling, all staff remote that can be, stipends for having no office), but someone is going to go for it. Too much cost savings not to, and it clearly works.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:59 am

Bosque wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:13 am
CanadianWolf wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:53 am
Bosque wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:
Good question to Google.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.
Lol ok sure. Still doesn't answer OP's actual question.
LOL Some folks can extrapolate from other known facts. Since you are from New Mexico, I will assist you--the answer to OP's question appears to be "yes". LOL

Hope that helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:10 am

CanadianWolf wrote:
Good question to Google.
I mean, to be fair, this reads as “Google the answer,” not “look at what Google is doing.”

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:14 am

nixy wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:10 am
CanadianWolf wrote:
Good question to Google.
I mean, to be fair, this reads as “Google the answer,” not “look at what Google is doing.”
I was just trying to have a bit of fun with the double meaning. Nevertheless, googling the question will provide a lot of answers for specific companies & firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:52 pm
I work for Weil in their Restructuring Group (used to be called BFR). I pray to God I don’t have to go back to that god-awful shithole. Cheers to hoping they push out the RTO to January.
I'm set for a rotation in Restructuring when I start. Does not a single person tolerate it? Should I just stick with corporate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 pm

Any other skadden associates internally raging at being forced back to the office next week by boomer partners with no lives who evidently hate their families?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 pm
Any other skadden associates internally raging at being forced back to the office next week by boomer partners with no lives who evidently hate their families?
I have asked this in several threads and am not getting an answer: why don't you just.. not comply? If you're in transactional, Skadden isn't going to fire you. I bet a bunch of the partners don't show up either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:58 pm

Skadden pushed back RTO another month?

TheBlueDevil

New

Post by TheBlueDevil » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:58 pm
Are you just asking or are you suggesting they did? It would definitely be the prudent thing to do.

I checked ATL and the only article today on a big law firm's RTO policy was about Reed Smith canceling their September 13 RTO plans without setting a new RTO date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:34 pm

TheBlueDevil wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Are you just asking or are you suggesting they did? It would definitely be the prudent thing to do.

I checked ATL and the only article today on a big law firm's RTO policy was about Reed Smith canceling their September 13 RTO plans without setting a new RTO date.
I heard management sent out an updated memo that the new return date is in October

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:34 pm
TheBlueDevil wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I heard management sent out an updated memo that the new return date is in October
If you are junior and therefore have office mates, they are requesting that you schedule with your officemate such that you aren't in office at same time. If you are in office at same time, you each need to have a mask on the whole time. Absolute satire-level rubbish.

They still have Sept 13 as the "in office" date, but now it's "a transition period until Oct 18 -- let us know if you intend to transition back more slowly". So the pressure is still there for Sept 13 (that's the official "cafeteria is re-open, and need to clear it by your practice leader if you plan to come back in October instead" date)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:26 pm

Skadden is rubbish

forthelols

New

Post by forthelols » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:52 pm
Can you PM me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:32 pm

Bump. Have any firms pushed RTO past October?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:32 pm
Bump. Have any firms pushed RTO past October?
Mine has pushed to November but word on the street is that we're unlikely to go back in November, so really it'll be January.

MrLions

New

Post by MrLions » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:22 pm

https://www.reuters.com/legal/legalindu ... 021-09-20/

TLDR: Ropes & Gray and Holland & Knight delaying their October return dates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:45 pm

What’s the significance of January in particular, though? Is the idea that a large chunk of people in the right age groups will have received boosters at that point in time? Or come January will we all be worrying about a new set of vax-resistant variants and waning booster efficacy?

If we accept that COVID will become endemic — which I think is the scientific consensus — it then seems like the current rationale for delaying RTO right now (“there’s too much uncertainty; the risk to the vaccinated is low but still non-zero”) proves too much. Since that rationale is really an argument for delaying RTO permanently/indefinitely.

(To be clear, I personally am not against reaching that conclusion but it seems like most law firms wouldn’t like that.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:51 pm

STB is going ahead with an October reopening but is “encouraging” coming into the office at least 1-2 days a week. Tbh feels like what’s the point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”