SEC enforcement Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SEC enforcement

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:00 pm

Can anyone talk about this? What would an attorney in the enforcement division do? How much substantive securities experience is needed for the interview? What do attorneys in the regional offices do? Any tips for getting the job?

(Anonymous because I'm pushing pretty hard for this right now, and my post history would probably match up with my resume enough to make the SEC folks I've spoken to realize who I am.)

Anonymous User

Re: SEC enforcement

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:18 am

Figured I'd bump this once.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:00 pm
What would an attorney in the enforcement division do?
Enforce the various securities laws of these United States.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:00 pm
Can anyone talk about this? What would an attorney in the enforcement division do? How much substantive securities experience is needed for the interview? What do attorneys in the regional offices do? Any tips for getting the job?

(Anonymous because I'm pushing pretty hard for this right now, and my post history would probably match up with my resume enough to make the SEC folks I've spoken to realize who I am.)
Enforcement is split into trial attorneys and investigative attorneys. Investigative attorneys can come in more junior, whereas they expect minimum 5-7 years of litigation for trial attorneys. There can be overlap and they work closely together. HQ is more divided than ROs into specialities, but investigative attorneys at ROs are typically in specialized groups as well. Substantive experience is very good but not the only skill required to get there. They prefer at least a few years of experience for investigative attorneys but are more open to hiring closer to entry level with this new administration. Interview process is rigorous, so be prepared for tests and intense hypos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:09 am

I do enforcement at another federal agency. Investigations will involve assessing allegations of violations that come in; coming up with investigative plans (what evidence do you need to collect? Who do you need to speak to?); conducting the actual investigation which will include making document requests and/or sending subpoenas, reviewing the documents collected, and speaking to witnesses informally or formally (in testimony). Once you have enough information you’ll consider what the resolution should be (close it? Sue someone, and if so, who? Can you settle without having to file a complaint?). There will be many many permutations of investigative work depending on the situation (are you investigating in parallel with other criminal or civil agencies? Do you need to collect evidence from or interview people who are outside the US? Are you working with an internal or external expert?). And there will be many points where you need approval from those higher up to make decisions, take certain steps, etc. There’s definitely a bureaucracy involved.

As a trial attorney you will be doing the litigations, and everything that involves (motion practice, discovery, trial if necessary). You may have been involved in the investigation to some extent, and the attorneys who did the investigation may continue to be involved in the litigation. Lots of levels of review here as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am

Different anon. Does anyone have insight into what they look for in hiring? I saw the SK-11 position posted recently, and I wondered if I would be competitive as a junior lit associate without any real securities experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:24 am

diff anon than above or OP, does anyone know the timeline it takes from application to interviews to offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am
Different anon. Does anyone have insight into what they look for in hiring? I saw the SK-11 position posted recently, and I wondered if I would be competitive as a junior lit associate without any real securities experience.
I was just hired as an ENF atty and my sense is that, at least for this most recent round of hiring, they really, REALLY wanted some securities experience and the applicants were either mid-level/senior. I don't say this to dissuade you from throwing your hat in the ring but just be prepared that your application without meaningful securities experience may not make it past the HR screener stage. Again, I say that with the caveat that the hiring requirements may shift every year. But if I were in your shoes, I'd try to get more experience under my belt before applying.

This thread is also helpful: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=308399

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:24 am
diff anon than above or OP, does anyone know the timeline it takes from application to interviews to offer?
Applied late Dec
Reach-out to set up interview in late Feb
First round interview early March
Second round interview late March
Offer ~2 weeks later (contingent on background check)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Applied late Dec
thanks! do you mind me asking which city?

bluecrab5448

New

Post by bluecrab5448 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Applied late Dec
Send me a PM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:45 pm

Hey! Does anyone know how long the background check takes? Full security clearance or something else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:45 pm

bluecrab5448 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Applied late Dec
Send me a PM.
can't send you a pm for some reason, added you as a friend though, maybe that enables you to pm me?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:17 pm

Bumping. I had an interview and the written exam in mid-August (DC position). I have reached out to the HR contact a couple times to see if I can get a status update and as of a couple weeks ago it sounded like they hadn't made a decision. If I was under consideration, however, wouldn't I have had a second interview? On the flip-side, seems cruel to make someone do a 3-hour take home exam to not even make the final round. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:17 pm
Bumping. I had an interview and the written exam in mid-August (DC position). I have reached out to the HR contact a couple times to see if I can get a status update and as of a couple weeks ago it sounded like they hadn't made a decision. If I was under consideration, however, wouldn't I have had a second interview? On the flip-side, seems cruel to make someone do a 3-hour take home exam to not even make the final round. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!
I'm the OP of this thread and posted it right about the time of my interview to see if anyone had any insight I could work in my answers. The interviewers told me they'd probably be back to me in 2 weeks if I made it to the next round and I haven't heard back yet. Based on that, I assume I'm out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!
I was unaware that the interview process included a written exam component?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:06 pm

I did a written exam as well. Anyone here been notified from HR after the written exam?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:06 pm
I did a written exam as well. Anyone here been notified from HR after the written exam?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:05 pm

Yes. I did the first interview and written exam in August, and received an invite for a second round interview a few weeks after. No word since round two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:05 pm
Yes. I did the first interview and written exam in August, and received an invite for a second round interview a few weeks after. No word since round two.
Damn it. Oh well. That makes sense. Seems like the SEC is doing a lot of hiring and I have certainly been applying widely. Annoying that it seems like the only real "ding" you receive is if you were not referred to the hiring manager. Anyways, good luck to everyone!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”