OK, just how bad is STB M&A? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OK, just how bad is STB M&A?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:00 pm

Leaning towards Simpson but I keep seeing TLSers posting that the firm’s M&A team is awful. No one I’ve talked to at the firm has echoed this, so I really don’t know if this TLS vibe is dated or still applies.

And HOW is it awful? E.g., are there no pleasant partners to work with in M&A and the vibe is super toxic…or is it more like the hours are just really bad (bc of a small team, etc.)? Would appreciate any insight!

Anonymous User

Re: OK, just how bad is STB M&A?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:07 pm

I didn't work in that group but my understanding was that M&A was bad the same way that other V10 M&A practices are bad, i.e. tons or work and no boundaries.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:47 pm

I'm at STB (in corporate) but not in M&A. I think STB M&A is rough, but not in a unique way. I've seen the "STB M&A is bad" meme on TLS a few times, but it all seems to stem from one or two disgruntled posters who made it a vendetta to turn that into a meme. Not to say STB M&A isn't awful - it is. But this is because M&A is awful everywhere, and I have no idea why anyone would choose to do it as a career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:02 pm

I’ve heard this directly from associates/echoed what I’ve heard - its not really any worse than any other V10 M&A group. People say the same stuff about XYZ V10 all of the time - the reality is that all of these firms have insane volume right now (for better and worse) and associates are billing way more than normal.

If you’re going to do M&A, it’s not *really* gonna matter work-life wise if you do it at STB or DPW or Kirkland etc etc etc.

also to the above poster - probably for the exit ops that are allegedly more prevalent in M&A. I know that’s why I’m looking to go into it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:54 pm

OP. Appreciate the responses! Sounds like it’s just “bad” because of the awful hours for M&A in general. I was worried there are screamers in the partnership or a particularly toxic environment, neither of which seems to be the case 😅

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:54 pm
OP. Appreciate the responses! Sounds like it’s just “bad” because of the awful hours for M&A in general. I was worried there are screamers in the partnership or a particularly toxic environment, neither of which seems to be the case 😅
I mean there def are screamers in the group… again not unique to STB but want to be 100% clear on this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:38 pm

Associates at STB have told me that there are screamers, people cry, and that you could be yelled at if not in the office even after midnight...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:05 pm

All top M&A groups in NY biglaw (actually in Asian offices as well) are terrible sweatshops where you have very little work-life balance, if any. As a midlevel, I only manage to get 7 hours of sleep once a week on average. You cannot even really take vacations at my V20 Asian office due to a combination of a strict billable hour requirement, small team size, and never ending deal flow. I used to at least be able to take vacations when I was in NY. Those things matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I mean there def are screamers in the group… again not unique to STB but want to be 100% clear on this.
As a non-STB v10 m&a associate, our hours are also brutal, but I’ve never encountered a screamer is my group and our pre-pandemic face time requirement is pretty loose. Based on what I heard from my other V10 friends, it’s not true that all top m&a practices have the same bad culture.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Who are the screamers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Oh yikes...any partners to watch out for? What about those who are particularly pleasant (relatively speaking) to work with?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:00 pm
Leaning towards Simpson but I keep seeing TLSers posting that the firm’s M&A team is awful. No one I’ve talked to at the firm has echoed this, so I really don’t know if this TLS vibe is dated or still applies.

And HOW is it awful? E.g., are there no pleasant partners to work with in M&A and the vibe is super toxic…or is it more like the hours are just really bad (bc of a small team, etc.)? Would appreciate any insight!
Anecdotal but in my group of ls friends people went to do m&a at skadden, stb, cravath, dpw, and wachtell. STB and wachtell had it materially worse than the rest (and these people are all masochists that affirmatively chose m&a after/during rotations for the firms where that’s applicable), but only one got paid properly for the hell. The “all v10 m&a is the same” meme seems mostly true except for Simpson. And leads people to make foolish lateral decisions (either to Simpson or rationalizing a decision to stay at Simpson).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Anecdotal but in my group of ls friends people went to do m&a at skadden, stb, cravath, dpw, and wachtell. STB and wachtell had it materially worse than the rest (and these people are all masochists that affirmatively chose m&a after/during rotations for the firms where that’s applicable), but only one got paid properly for the hell. The “all v10 m&a is the same” meme seems mostly true except for Simpson. And leads people to make foolish lateral decisions (either to Simpson or rationalizing a decision to stay at Simpson).
Any info on S&C?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Uhh...I've never ran into a screamer in any practice group at my V10 or even know of any partner that has a reputation for being a screamer. That shit is a relic of the past.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:01 pm

I did a stint in STB M&A.

Was horrible and I think you're stupid for considering M&A generally especially at a v10. Was the worst group of people I ever encountered at the firm and as a rule of thumb M&A groups draw in the worst people (but maybe you'll fit into the vibe, it works for some). Like there shouldn't be an illusion that its just some tough hours that people can't take, its just a horrible working environment with people who don't care if you haven't slept in days, it was never enough. I frankly won't socialize with attorneys who say they practice in an M&A group because I just assume they're kind of shitty; I know that is extreme and its not ubiquitous, but that is the level of hate I had after my time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Any info on S&C?
not for corporate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:01 pm

Was horrible and I think you're stupid for considering M&A generally especially at a v10. Was the worst group of people I ever encountered at the firm and as a rule of thumb M&A groups draw in the worst people (but maybe you'll fit into the vibe, it works for some). Like there shouldn't be an illusion that its just some tough hours that people can't take, its just a horrible working environment with people who don't care if you haven't slept in days, it was never enough. I frankly won't socialize with attorneys who say they practice in an M&A group because I just assume they're kind of shitty; I know that is extreme and its not ubiquitous, but that is the level of hate I had after my time.

OK yikes. Appreciate you sharing this. Are other groups you interacted with at STB markedly better (e.g., Capital Markets, Funds, Tax)? I'm guessing M&A is an anomaly (???), since the vibe I've gotten from the firm throughout this entire OCI process has been very pleasant :shock:

You're really making me reconsider Simpson...but then again, I'd be choosing from other V10 M&A teams and you make all of them sound miserable LOL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

OK yikes. Appreciate you sharing this. Are other groups you interacted with at STB markedly better (e.g., Capital Markets, Funds, Tax)? I'm guessing M&A is an anomaly (???), since the vibe I've gotten from the firm throughout this entire OCI process has been very pleasant :shock:

You're really making me reconsider Simpson...but then again, I'd be choosing from other V10 M&A teams and you make all of them sound miserable LOL.
Why do you want to be in M&A so badly? Confirmed that M&A is the worst group IMO and other groups are better but your response kind of grosses me out but I guess I'm just that jaded. Pretty rare to get a realistic look at firms from interviews, the firm is selling you on it just as much if not more than you selling yourself to firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why do you want to be in M&A so badly? Confirmed that M&A is the worst group IMO and other groups are better but your response kind of grosses me out but I guess I'm just that jaded. Pretty rare to get a realistic look at firms from interviews, the firm is selling you on it just as much if not more than you selling yourself to firm.

Lol, I’ve heard that, in general, exit opps are the best for M&A. I doubt I’ll survive BigLaw for more than a couple of years, so I really want to position myself for a decent in-house gig down the road.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:30 pm

FWIW, the STB M&A people I've met and talked to during OCI have been pretty chill. They kept emphasizing that hours are bad at any V10 firm and admitted that STB M&A deal teams are leaner than most peer firms (except Wachtell and maybe Cravath), resulting in a bit more work per associate. But no one has been as jaded as the above poster lol. It's rough, no doubt, but it's rough everywhere.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:33 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lol, I’ve heard that, in general, exit opps are the best for M&A. I doubt I’ll survive BigLaw for more than a couple of years, so I really want to position myself for a decent in-house gig down the road.
but like...why the laser-focus on in-house?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:43 pm

jotarokujo wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lol wdym? Better lifestyle. Where else would I go? No interest in government or PI and academia is impossible. I suppose I could lateral down to another firm, but that’s still the BigLaw billable hours model…which I assume I’d be trying to run away from after a few years of grinding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:43 pm
jotarokujo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lol wdym? Better lifestyle. Where else would I go? No interest in government or PI and academia is impossible. I suppose I could lateral down to another firm, but that’s still the BigLaw billable hours model…which I assume I’d be trying to run away from after a few years of grinding.
Yeah, I recently went in house and don't understand the question.

Other corporate practices might have a slightly better lifestyle than M&A, with the key word being "might", but they still have for most normal people unsustainably bad lifestyles.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jotarokujo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

why not just...do what you have substantive interest in? if you have none and just want to maximize money+free time and minimize work, why did you go into law at all?

this is why they warn people not to go to law school for no reason/substantive interest in the law. 3 years of 0 income and stress is not good unless you actually want to be a lawyer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:43 pm

jotarokujo wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
jotarokujo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

why not just...do what you have substantive interest in? if you have none and just want to maximize money+free time and minimize work, why did you go into law at all?

this is why they warn people not to go to law school for no reason/substantive interest in the law. 3 years of 0 income and stress is not good unless you actually want to be a lawyer

Not sure I get your point. I never said I don't have substantive interest in an area of law. And, I mean, in-house folks are still lawyers...

Plenty of people leave the V10, or BigLaw in general, because the hours are just unsustainable. Seems pretty sensible imo. It doesn't mean they aren't interested in the law. Also, I'm not looking to minimize work per se, at lease not in absolute terms - I'm fully aware that even in-house roles might still demand 50+ hour weeks, depending on the company. But that's manageable, compared with the 80-90+ hour weeks at a firm like STB.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”