How's 3L OCI this year? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How's 3L OCI this year?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:58 pm

A lot of people described 2L OCI this past Jan/Feb as a bloodbath and suggested that 3L hiring would be more robust given the heavy corporate workflow and firms underestimating their hiring needs. Curious to see how these predictions unfolded. Have there been more 3L success stories this year?

Anonymous User

Re: How's 3L OCI this year?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:58 pm
A lot of people described 2L OCI this past Jan/Feb as a bloodbath and suggested that 3L hiring would be more robust given the heavy corporate workflow and firms underestimating their hiring needs. Curious to see how these predictions unfolded. Have there been more 3L success stories this year?
Lol those people were wrong. They were trying to find reasoning for their poor OCI performance but most of the V100 firms increased summer classes.

There will be a bit more 3L hiring than usual (majority for transactional roles) but it will not be as robust as some are hoping it will be. As mentioned, firms chose instead to increase their summer classes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:13 pm

heard Debevoise is doing 3L recruiting; Sidley too

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:57 pm

Multiple v20 firms that I received offers from (but didn’t summer at) have reached back out with feelers to see if I’d be interested in switching to their firm, so there’s definitely a few firms that under-hired for class of 2022.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:13 pm
heard Debevoise is doing 3L recruiting; Sidley too
Which offices and practice groups?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Lol those people were wrong. They were trying to find reasoning for their poor OCI performance but most of the V100 firms increased summer classes.

There will be a bit more 3L hiring than usual (majority for transactional roles) but it will not be as robust as some are hoping it will be. As mentioned, firms chose instead to increase their summer classes.
This is false. Multiple firms cut their SA class size.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lmao dude tell me how many V20 firms decreased their class size. 1? 2? The rest increased. This past year was one of the easiest in recent memory for OCI and firms were even more willing to dip down below their grade/school cutoffs to fill their classes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:41 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lmao dude tell me how many V20 firms decreased their class size. 1? 2? The rest increased. This past year was one of the easiest in recent memory for OCI and firms were even more willing to dip down below their grade/school cutoffs to fill their classes.
Again, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Again, tell me what V20 firms decreased their class size. Davis Polk NY hired 157 SAs for crying out loud. Paul Weiss had 123 in NY. Weil had 100 in NY. Debevoise NY had 130. Cooley had their biggest summer class size with 146 SAs (across all offices). Other reputable firms like Milbank NY also increased from their typical 45-50 to 70 this summer.

The fact that you're so insistent on something factual makes me think you're either 1) one of the few who struck out in OCI and hoping to land something in 3L hiring; or 2) you landed at one of the firms that shrunk their sizes and not doing well (e.g. Cadwalader). In either case, best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Again, tell me what V20 firms decreased their class size. Davis Polk NY hired 157 SAs for crying out loud. Paul Weiss had 123 in NY. Weil had 100 in NY. Debevoise NY had 130. Cooley had their biggest summer class size with 146 SAs (across all offices). Other reputable firms like Milbank NY also increased from their typical 45-50 to 70 this summer.

The fact that you're so insistent on something factual makes me think you're either 1) one of the few who struck out in OCI and hoping to land something in 3L hiring; or 2) you landed at one of the firms that shrunk their sizes and not doing well (e.g. Cadwalader). In either case, best of luck!
I can tell you're miserable as hell and overcompensating for something. I wish you the best as well because you sure as hell need it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:10 am

Anyone got offers or CBs? If yes which firms? Thanks!

ohnooooo1234567

New

Post by ohnooooo1234567 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It actually does look like SA hiring (as a whole) was a bit down for summer 2021. Above the Law posted an article on it a couple of weeks ago: https://abovethelaw.com/2021/07/summer- ... -comeback/

If anyone else has any concrete information about numbers for this past summer, that would be great. I would be interested to see which side is right in this.

gontid

New

Post by gontid » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:49 am

ohnooooo1234567 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It actually does look like SA hiring (as a whole) was a bit down for summer 2021. Above the Law posted an article on it a couple of weeks ago: https://abovethelaw.com/2021/07/summer- ... -comeback/

If anyone else has any concrete information about numbers for this past summer, that would be great. I would be interested to see which side is right in this.
Super rich firms with strong corporate practices increased class size while the rest did the opposite

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheGreatestGunner

New

Post by TheGreatestGunner » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:54 am

"Entry-level Law Firm Recruiting Survives Pandemic Interruptions, but Offer Rates, Number of Offers, and Average Summer Class Sizes All Fall" - NALP

https://www.nalp.org/uploads/PressRelea ... ly2021.pdf

There is the answer-- no, it was not easy to get hired last OCI, it was a fairly difficult one where the # of offers, per firm, decreased from 11 to 8. To the hostile party denouncing others-- these are not opinion questions and your contempt does not have a place in answering them. These are fact questions with real and actual answers. Go look at them prior to pontificating.

Thanks,
The Management

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:16 pm

lmao i love when people are confidently wrong

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:01 pm

No one is wrong here. As @gontid pointed out, super rich firms with strong corporate practices (aka a significant number of V100 firms) increased summer class sizes.

But as @TheGreatestGunner pointed out, if you take the aggregate of all entry-level law firm hiring, then yeah, there were slight decreases in class sizes.

I think it's important to remember that not everyone who posts here go to T-14 schools and there are more than V100 firms.

feminist.supporter

New

Post by feminist.supporter » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:11 pm

the discussions in this thread is peak internet fighting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:56 pm

TheGreatestGunner wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:54 am
"Entry-level Law Firm Recruiting Survives Pandemic Interruptions, but Offer Rates, Number of Offers, and Average Summer Class Sizes All Fall" - NALP

https://www.nalp.org/uploads/PressRelea ... ly2021.pdf

There is the answer-- no, it was not easy to get hired last OCI, it was a fairly difficult one where the # of offers, per firm, decreased from 11 to 8. To the hostile party denouncing others-- these are not opinion questions and your contempt does not have a place in answering them. These are fact questions with real and actual answers. Go look at them prior to pontificating.

Thanks,
The Management
Can only speak for CLS, but many firms’ offers by honors rates fell quite a bit. So it seems that at least at CLS, it became a bit easier, but not sure if that’s because of one of the P/F semesters the 1Ls had.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:58 pm

I believe Mayer Brown is doing some 3L hiring. It's been busy and there is definitely a need for associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Can confirm Skadden NYC, DPW, Mayer Brown, Dechert are hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:18 pm

Seems like this year, at least at my T20, if you were transactional leaning and applied to firms just a little early, it was very easy to get offers. It was a bloodbath for litigation students though. I'd echo the above comments that from what I can tell most large firms with busy corporate practices hired more people than in the past. I can say the firms I split with both increased class sizes and are doing 3L recruiting and have said they expect next year's summer class to be even larger

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:20 pm

Covington and Cadwalader I've heard are also looking for 3Ls

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:56 pm

Just going online to some law firms, I'm seeing posts for 3Ls from Cleary and Kirkland on their websites.
With how gangbusters the workload is at most firms, I'm willing to bet almost all V-whatever firms are hiring 3Ls with the right credentials/summer experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:56 pm
Just going online to some law firms, I'm seeing posts for 3Ls from Cleary and Kirkland on their websites.
With how gangbusters the workload is at most firms, I'm willing to bet almost all V-whatever firms are hiring 3Ls with the right credentials/summer experience.
I checked the Kirkland website but didn't find any posts. Is that where you were looking? Also, any idea if their TX offices (Austin, Dallas, Houston) are hiring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:01 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:56 pm
I checked the Kirkland website but didn't find any posts. Is that where you were looking? Also, any idea if their TX offices (Austin, Dallas, Houston) are hiring?
Also don't see any on their career website, but my school had an entry-level posting for Kirkland earlier in the summer that indicated they were hiring across most transactional groups.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”