WSGR satellite vs Boston Big Law for IP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

WSGR satellite vs Boston Big Law for IP

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:35 pm

WSGR is the firm I'm thinking of accepting for SA, but Boston is their satellite office. I'm going into IP lit or patent prosecution for life sciences in Boston. How does the satellite office of WSGR as a specialized IP firm compare to an IP group in Big Law like Proskauer or Morgan Lewis? Would I be closing off any big opportunities by not going with the more established firms in Boston?

Anonymous User

Re: WSGR satellite vs Boston Big Law for IP

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:35 pm
WSGR is the firm I'm thinking of accepting for SA, but Boston is their satellite office. I'm going into IP lit or patent prosecution for life sciences in Boston. How does the satellite office of WSGR as a specialized IP firm compare to an IP group in Big Law like Proskauer or Morgan Lewis? Would I be closing off any big opportunities by not going with the more established firms in Boston?
WSGR is equally a Big Law as is Proskauer/MLB; it's not an IP boutique. Also when I think of "more established firm in Boston" I think Ropes & Gray, WilmerHale, and Goodwin, not necessarily Proskauer/MLB, though they do have a decent number of attorneys in their Boston office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:55 pm

I’m biased because I’m at one of Goodwin/Wilmer, but I would not put Proskauer or Morgan Lewis (or WSGR) on the same level as Wilmer or Goodwin in terms of IP, especially litigation, nationally, never mind Boston. If your only three options are Proskauer, Morgan Lewis or WSGR, I’d take the latter, though.

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:49 pm

Big picture, WSGR is a full service firm that is strong in anything related to tech and life sciences. WSGR's Boston office has corporate and tech transactions practices (maybe others, too). Not sure where you got the impression that WSGR only does IP.

WSGR is a great option in any office, and is probably a cushier gig (culturally) than some east coast firms. You can always lateral to a Boston firm from WSGR if you decide you want to later, as most biglaw firms generally draw from the same talent pool. Satellite offices don't really have a stigma, especially with everyone working remotely, but there are often benefits of being in a firm's home office.

That said, I agree that in Boston, WSGR does not have the same roots or deep bench as the top local firms like Goodwin, Ropes, and Wilmer, especially in IP litigation. WSGR leans transactional and is based in Silicon Valley.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:16 am

trmckenz wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:49 pm
Big picture, WSGR is a full service firm that is strong in anything related to tech and life sciences. WSGR's Boston office has corporate and tech transactions practices (maybe others, too). Not sure where you got the impression that WSGR only does IP.

WSGR is a great option in any office, and is probably a cushier gig (culturally) than some east coast firms. You can always lateral to a Boston firm from WSGR if you decide you want to later, as most biglaw firms generally draw from the same talent pool. Satellite offices don't really have a stigma, especially with everyone working remotely, but there are often benefits of being in a firm's home office.

That said, I agree that in Boston, WSGR does not have the same roots or deep bench as the top local firms like Goodwin, Ropes, and Wilmer, especially in IP litigation. WSGR leans transactional and is based in Silicon Valley.
WSGR Boston hasn’t really taken off. I think they want to make a run at life sciences, but they’re still just a satellite that hasn’t gained traction really.

That said, Morgan Lewis Boston and Proskauer are satellites in Boston that have a decent established practice, but are middling firms in the market. Proskauer mostly does fund work I think for a few VC funds, and I rarely see ML on anything notable.

I’d probably take WSGR. It’s got national recognition as a tech firm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”