Torn between DPW & STB Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Torn between DPW & STB

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:12 am

Have offers at Davis Polk and Simpson and I’m completely torn between the two.

Liked the people at both a lot. Simpson I might have liked them a touch more but they also took a lot longer to give me an offer. I’m also a little more inclined to PE and hedge fund clients so that may tilt Simpson.

But for some reason Davis Polk is stuck in my head — might be the fact they’ve been comp leaders lately.

Is there any benefit of DPW over STB?

Ideal possible practice would be cap markets, real estate or finance

Anonymous User

Re: Torn between DPW & STB

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:18 am

DPW has the edge on capital markets. DPW also has the edge on finance as lender's counsel. DPW is making strides in PE but STB is ahead at this point. For real estate, most (75%) of STB's work focuses on one client: Blackstone. DPW has a smaller Real Estate practice so it might be tough to get that as a preferred rotation full time. In terms of comp, seems likely that DPW will keep pushing as the leader for the foreseeable future, but since nearly all the top firms match the top scales, I think comp leader only matters if you're choosing between two firms where one may not be able to match in the future.

I think you should probably see if you can get a 2nd look and speak to some more people at both firms and get a better view.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:16 am

Taking longer to give you an offer means nothing. Being a comp leader means nothing (same pay at the end of the day). The two are basically interchangeable for finance unless you're talking finer points. Ignoring how well you clicked with people (scoping out personalities is basically impossible even with a second look because everyone is on their guard with you), I'd pick DPW unless you're a hardcore RE gunner. DPW is better for CapM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:42 pm

BrainsyK wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:16 am
Taking longer to give you an offer means nothing. Being a comp leader means nothing (same pay at the end of the day). The two are basically interchangeable for finance unless you're talking finer points. Ignoring how well you clicked with people (scoping out personalities is basically impossible even with a second look because everyone is on their guard with you), I'd pick DPW unless you're a hardcore RE gunner. DPW is better for CapM.
DPW is an elite lender credit shop and STB is a PE-reliant borrower-side shop. Prestige-wise they're about the same but they're not interchangeable in the slightest.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:42 pm
DPW is an elite lender credit shop and STB is a PE-reliant borrower-side shop. Prestige-wise they're about the same but they're not interchangeable in the slightest.
I would consider that a finer point for law students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”