M&A Secondments? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

M&A Secondments?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:55 pm

Tl;Dr: Should a PE M&A Junior ask partners at his/her firm whether s/he can take a Secondment with a client? Can TLSers comment on their experiences with PE M&A Secondments for associates?

Junior PE M&A attorney. I'm wrapping up my second year at a certain biglaw firm in a major market. Most of the group's clients are mid-market PE with smaller offices and do not at least formally offer Secondments (not that I'm aware of anyway). But a decent amount of the firm's clients are larger KKR-like size and have offered Secondments to some of the firm's associates in the past. I've been on a few of these deals for one our "large" clients and have a good, but not particularly close, relationship with our client's partners and associates.

In my limited experience, having only been at my firm for two years, I've seen this client in question bring in mid-levels for 6-12 month Secondments, but they are usually at least a 4th year. Too early to ask the partners at the law firm to consider me for a Secondment? Am I too junior to try for a Secondment at a PE client?

And if you've made it this far: Personally, I'm interested in doing something different but I like this practice and the M&A "Industry" enough to keep working in it, I'd just like to try something new for a bit and a Secondment seems like a good way to get some perspective on the business side while continuing to develop legal deal skills.

Return to “Legal Employment”