S&C vs. DPW vs. STB vs. Skadden Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

S&C vs. DPW vs. STB vs. Skadden

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:19 pm

Have offers from all of the above firms. I'm interested in pursuing Corporate work and maybe Tax. It's hard to tell where I'd fit in best, but from speaking to attorneys, STB seems like the best fit culturally (they seem more laid back and not competitive). I also like that they handle PE clients as Funds work seems like it will only continue to grow. Thoughts on where I should go? Are S&C and DPW considered more prestigious or should I follow my gut?

Anonymous User

Re: S&C vs. DPW vs. STB vs. Skadden

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:39 pm

fwiw I went to skadden with similar options. I wouldn't say I regret it, and I'm not like looking to leave or anything, but if I had to do it over again I'd have gone with any of the other three over Skadden.'

Skadden's tax people seem to enjoy their life and work. Make sure you do tax stuff as a summer if you want to break into it though --- Skadden has a rotation system for first years within corporate, but you generally can't do tax as one of the rotations.

Bogajoga

New

Post by Bogajoga » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:39 pm
fwiw I went to skadden with similar options. I wouldn't say I regret it, and I'm not like looking to leave or anything, but if I had to do it over again I'd have gone with any of the other three over Skadden.'

Skadden's tax people seem to enjoy their life and work. Make sure you do tax stuff as a summer if you want to break into it though --- Skadden has a rotation system for first years within corporate, but you generally can't do tax as one of the rotations.
Could you PM me? I was the anon above. Would love to hear more about what Corp. group you're in and why would choose the other 3.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

FWIW, I’m pretty sure this is true at DPW as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

DPW corporate has 2 eight month rotations with (apparently) the possibility of a 3rd rotation but thats not common at all. Cannot speak to whether tax is available but can confirm that you can rotate into specialty groups (although it is harder to get placed into them)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:42 pm

None of these firms will let you rotate between tax and a corporate group. I know that, but still interested in what people would choose. Hopefully by the end of next summer, I’ll know if I want to be a tax lawyer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

DPW corporate has 2 eight month rotations with (apparently) the possibility of a 3rd rotation but thats not common at all. Cannot speak to whether tax is available but can confirm that you can rotate into specialty groups (although it is harder to get placed into them)
Right, my point was tax-specific; it’s not under the DPW corporate umbrella, so you cannot rotate through tax and [whatever corporate group], if that’s something OP was hoping to do.

Bogajoga

New

Post by Bogajoga » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:00 pm

All of these firms will require me to decide on Tax by the end of my summer, which is fine. My question is more about how these firms compare on a broader cultural level. What would you all choose with a similar choice and why?

milkisforbabies

New

Post by milkisforbabies » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:55 am

Can’t speak to the other firms (only interviewed with them and didn’t have any close friends work at them). But I wouldn’t really describe any of Simpson’s core corporate groups as laid back - maybe kinda sorta Funds, but I basically never interacted with them, so ymmv.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bogajoga

New

Post by Bogajoga » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:49 am

milkisforbabies wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:55 am
Can’t speak to the other firms (only interviewed with them and didn’t have any close friends work at them). But I wouldn’t really describe any of Simpson’s core corporate groups as laid back - maybe kinda sorta Funds, but I basically never interacted with them, so ymmv.
where did you end up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:05 pm

All the tax associates at Skadden seem to really enjoy their work/lives. My fellow CM/M&A associates on the other hand are getting wrecked with work and are dropping like flies (tho in fairness, it's pretty much the same for those at DPW, S&C and STB).

milkisforbabies

New

Post by milkisforbabies » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:44 pm

Bogajoga wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:49 am
milkisforbabies wrote:
where did you end up?
STB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:32 pm

milkisforbabies wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:44 pm
Bogajoga wrote:
milkisforbabies wrote:
where did you end up?
STB
Any chance you would be open to PM or sharing more about your experience at STB, culture-wise? For example: what's the real expectation on face time these days (STB seems to have a reputation for this) and how brutal is it (are we really talking avg. 2600 hours for everyone?) in the M&A group?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

milkisforbabies

New

Post by milkisforbabies » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:32 pm
milkisforbabies wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:44 pm
Bogajoga wrote:
milkisforbabies wrote:
where did you end up?
STB
Any chance you would be open to PM or sharing more about your experience at STB, culture-wise? For example: what's the real expectation on face time these days (STB seems to have a reputation for this) and how brutal is it (are we really talking avg. 2600 hours for everyone?) in the M&A group?
Sure, but I’ve since left (pre-pre-COVID), so my info might be outdated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Current STB associate.

It's not 2600 average a year for everyone, but 2000-2200 will get you comments about your hours and told to bring your hours up in the current very busy environment. Will 2200 get you fired junior? Not that alone, but there is an expectation that if you are hungry to advance you'll be billing more in most groups if the work is there. If someone was hungry to stand out and have the best job security if a down turn, I would assume they would be billing between 2500-3000 a year.

Right now its particularly brutal but that is true of all of the firms you list. It seems like every day I hear about some 2nd to 6th year leaving and I dread it every time I see the departure email because I worry its more work for me as STB, like most of the V10, are not replacing associates fast enough.

Facetime expectations historically were high and WFH very frowned on. Seems like there is a desire to return to the old days of everyone eventually always in office; time will tell.

Bogajoga

New

Post by Bogajoga » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:21 pm
Current STB associate.

It's not 2600 average a year for everyone, but 2000-2200 will get you comments about your hours and told to bring your hours up in the current very busy environment. Will 2200 get you fired junior? Not that alone, but there is an expectation that if you are hungry to advance you'll be billing more in most groups if the work is there. If someone was hungry to stand out and have the best job security if a down turn, I would assume they would be billing between 2500-3000 a year.

Right now its particularly brutal but that is true of all of the firms you list. It seems like every day I hear about some 2nd to 6th year leaving and I dread it every time I see the departure email because I worry its more work for me as STB, like most of the V10, are not replacing associates fast enough.

Facetime expectations historically were high and WFH very frowned on. Seems like there is a desire to return to the old days of everyone eventually always in office; time will tell.
What practice group are you in? M&A? Could you PM me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:19 pm

Bogajoga wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:21 pm
Current STB associate.

What practice group are you in? M&A? Could you PM me?

Don't think anything to PM about; all four of these places are grueling, whatever you pick will be a challenge and think its largely unproductive when law students try to find some hidden difference that will lead to happiness at one over the other. No matter which you pick, buckle up for long hours and a demanding and challenging work environment. I'm not in M&A and while M&A is often worse than other groups at big firms, there shouldn't be an assumption the lifestyle of any other group is somehow work-life friendly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”