how do bonuses work for laterals Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how do bonuses work for laterals

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:03 pm

I started at my new firm in February of this year. How do bonuses work for laterals? Is it, if you hit your bonus target on a pro-rated basis, you get the full bonus??

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Re: how do bonuses work for laterals

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:03 pm
I started at my new firm in February of this year. How do bonuses work for laterals? Is it, if you hit your bonus target on a pro-rated basis, you get the full bonus??
Is this not something normally negotiated with the new firm before lateralling?

hdr

Bronze

Post by hdr » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:35 pm

You're supposed to negotiate that before you accept, though since you started in February, it would be crazy for them not to give you a pro-rated bonus.

In this market, I would think associates lateraling would be able to negotiate a big signing bonus plus a pro-rated year-end bonus.

Joachim2017

Bronze

Post by Joachim2017 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:11 am

hdr wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:35 pm
You're supposed to negotiate that before you accept, though since you started in February, it would be crazy for them not to give you a pro-rated bonus.

In this market, I would think associates lateraling would be able to negotiate a big signing bonus plus a pro-rated year-end bonus.

I really doubt this applies to just any lateral. I think it really only applies on the transactional side, and even then in certain practice areas, and for seniors. I'd be highly surprised if litigation hires could pull off big signing bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:03 pm
That was what I negotiated when I lateraled. I don't think they even offered a pro-rated bonus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:08 am

At my firm, all laterals get the full year-end bonus regardless of whether they hit pro-rated hours or when they lateraled.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:47 pm

Yeah I recently lateralled as a midlevel. When I started there were like 4.5 months left in the fiscal year, and I was offered a non-prorated bonus (i.e., the full amount) and it's not tied to hours.

Plus a not-huge signing bonus plus the remaining fall COVID retention bonus payment. But yes, I am transactional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:47 pm
Yeah I recently lateralled as a midlevel. When I started there were like 4.5 months left in the fiscal year, and I was offered a non-prorated bonus (i.e., the full amount) and it's not tied to hours.

Plus a not-huge signing bonus plus the remaining fall COVID retention bonus payment. But yes, I am transactional.
How much was the signing? What yr are you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”