What are mid-level signing bonuses for corp these days? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What are mid-level signing bonuses for corp these days?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:24 pm

Does the TLS hive mind know what a mid-level (i.e. 3rd or 4th year) V20 M&A associate could get as a signing bonus these days?

I'm actually pretty happy with my team overall, as far as biglaw goes. The hours are still pretty brutal right now, but obviously that won't improve at a new firm. I've always taken the position that having a decent relationship with the team was worth more than marginal extra dollars from moving around. That said, I'm really not sure I'm going to stick around biglaw more than another year before I'm too burnt out to go on (I need my weekends back), and it sounds like in the current market one can be pretty confident about being made whole on the mid-year and annual bonuses PLUS a decent signing bonus?

I'm not sure what to expect. It wouldn't be worth it for 10K. It would be worth it for 100K. Maybe I'm secretly hoping everyone will say the juicy bonus period is over and then I can stop worrying I should still be considering this.

Anonymous User

Re: What are mid-level signing bonuses for corp these days?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:34 pm

Not only is the juicy bonus period not over, I think 100k for a 4th year going to KE--especially KE Houston--is a bit too low. Of course, you'll get the full EOY bonus, special bonus, probably a promise to pay any other bonuses that might spring up for the rest of the year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:11 pm

If a firm decides to pay, let's say 100k, retention bonuses -- do you think the market will move to retention bonuses, and then signing bonuses will increase even higher to compensate or will it just cool the lateral market down altogether?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:41 am

Not directly responsive but CSM/DPW/S&C M&A 2nd year: recruiters keep emailing me about and I have one friend who has received a 100k + bonus and I know (more anecdotally) of 3rd and 4th years receiving significantly more. No clue if that’s firm specific or just the market now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:54 pm

Anyone have anecdotal experience of what V10's are doing if their mid-level M&A associates come to them with an offer from another firm that is offering a $100k+ signing bonus? Would the firm match the bonus to keep that associate around?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:54 pm
Anyone have anecdotal experience of what V10's are doing if their mid-level M&A associates come to them with an offer from another firm that is offering a $100k+ signing bonus? Would the firm match the bonus to keep that associate around?
It seems very individualized. I've seen people get a full match (with some kind of retention requirement - seems like it's mostly one year?), get a partial match, get told "what a great opportunity for you." Definitely would shop the offer to your firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:29 am

$100k definitely realistic if applying to a V10 firm. Normally would not suggest shopping it to your current place to match, but given your plans to leave BL soon, can't see much downside.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:11 am

I know multiple 4th and 5th years who lateraled to various firms in the V20 region. Signing bonuses for their level are $150k to $250k.

lawyer098

New

Post by lawyer098 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:54 pm
It seems very individualized. I've seen people get a full match (with some kind of retention requirement - seems like it's mostly one year?), get a partial match, get told "what a great opportunity for you." Definitely would shop the offer to your firm.
What is the process for shopping an offer to your current firm? Do you go directly to a partner you work with often or do you run it through the recruiting team?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”