Reapplying to a firm you declined? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reapplying to a firm you declined?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:08 pm

I received several offers during pre-OCI and have accepted one, but it was a close call between that firm and another one. The one I declined emailed me today to let me know that I would be “welcome to reapply” if I want to be reconsidered for an associate position in the future. Has anyone ever done this? Would that firm give me priority in a future application? I’m happy with my decision but am curious, just in case things change…

Anonymous User

Re: Reapplying to a firm you declined?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:23 pm

I interviewed with 3 firms in a city during OCI and received offers at all three. I choose one, summered there, and then clerked for a year. I then decided that I wanted to change practice areas, and the firm I summered at didn't have much in my new practice area. I re-applied to both of the firms that I had received offers at and ended up with offers at both firms. I didn't mention that I had received an offer before and no one mentioned it during the interview process. I think it probably helped that I was changing practice areas, and so didn't interview with any of the same people. If a firm has need in an area and believes you'd be a good fit, then I don't think it's an issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm

When I moved firms I received offers from firms that I had declined and which had previously declined me. I don't think firms hold grudges about this stuff at all. If they need to hire for the position (like all firms seem to be doing at the moment) none of this backstory stuff matters.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:41 pm

FWIW I am aware of a recent hire in Wash DC who turned down the NYC office about 4 years earlier. In fact,I was told that it was an interview question with this firm. Answering in the affirmative that one had been offered a position with one of their other offices was considered to be a positive factor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”