LW Houston vs. NRF Austin Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

NRF Austin
17%
LW Houston
83%

Total votes: 46

Anonymous User

LW Houston vs. NRF Austin

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:42 pm

Would you choose NRF Austin or LW Houston?

I have a house in Austin and love it more than Houston. But I like Houston okay, and I am willing to do what's best for my career if there is a big enough difference between the firms and opportunities. Interested in transactional work. I got great vibes from the people at both. This would be for a SA.

I know NRF hasn't been doing too hot recently, but would I really limit opportunities or jeopardize job stability by going there over LW?

Anon because of identifying information.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: LW Houston vs. NRF Austin

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:45 pm

I would go to LW Houston for a few years, get that on your resume, and then lateral back to Austin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:42 pm
Would you choose NRF Austin or LW Houston?

I have a house in Austin and love it more than Houston. But I like Houston okay, and I am willing to do what's best for my career if there is a big enough difference between the firms and opportunities. Interested in transactional work. I got great vibes from the people at both. This would be for a SA.

I know NRF hasn't been doing too hot recently, but would I really limit opportunities or jeopardize job stability by going there over LW?

Anon because of identifying information.

0 reason to pick NRF over LW Houston, location notwithstanding.

Plenty of firms to lateral to in Austin in 2-4 years if you want to, the market there is only going to grow and you will likely be able to end up somewhere superior to NRF.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:37 pm

Latham and it’s not close.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:31 pm

Also NRF has a troubling history of no offering summers. A firm like that doesn't deserve someone who can get a LW Houston offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:43 pm

Go to Latham for two years and then lateral back to Austin. You'll have great options. Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:43 pm

I’ll offer a very non-tls opinion. I was between a firm similar to latham, very well respected in its market and a firm more in the nrf range with a smaller presence in its market and I don’t regret choosing the nrf equivalent. Sometimes it’s ok to make a lifestyle decision. That being said it’ll be very easy to go back to Austin after a couple years at latham houston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:43 pm
I’ll offer a very non-tls opinion. I was between a firm similar to latham, very well respected in its market and a firm more in the nrf range with a smaller presence in its market and I don’t regret choosing the nrf equivalent. Sometimes it’s ok to make a lifestyle decision. That being said it’ll be very easy to go back to Austin after a couple years at latham houston.
There is a good argument for going to a mid-market regional for the lifestyle and partnership prospects. However, all of that presupposes that the mid-market regional is otherwise financially stable. In other words, there is a decent argument to go to Haynes & Boone Dallas for corporate, even if you have a Kirkland offer. What you don't do is go to an NRF, which (if Houston and Dallas is anything to go by) is in a downward spiral and has no offered summers too many times.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:35 pm

Similar to the above, going to a lower ranked firm is often very defensible especially when location is involved, but I cannot in good faith recommend going to NRF specifically. Basically any other big firm Austin office I'd say go for it if you want Austin, but in this case I would personally suck it up in the short term for job security and the resume bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:43 pm
There is a good argument for going to a mid-market regional for the lifestyle and partnership prospects. However, all of that presupposes that the mid-market regional is otherwise financially stable. In other words, there is a decent argument to go to Haynes & Boone Dallas for corporate, even if you have a Kirkland offer. What you don't do is go to an NRF, which (if Houston and Dallas is anything to go by) is in a downward spiral and has no offered summers too many times.
Quoted anon. Wasn’t super familiar with NRF’s finances or strong history of no offers. That should definitely factor in. I think the fact that they are in the same state should factor in as well. I just don’t want op to be totally blinded by prestige.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:10 pm

I voted NRF because I think there is such a major difference between living in Austin vs Houston but probably I shouldn’t have voted at all due to inadequate information.

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:50 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:10 pm
I voted NRF because I think there is such a major difference between living in Austin vs Houston but probably I shouldn’t have voted at all due to inadequate information.
Austin will always be open starting at LW Houston - and several national firms, including KE already have offices there (its not hard to lateral to KE in my experience). Lots of other doors in Austin and elsewhere will also be open starting at a place like LW.

The same cannot be said for starting at NRF. Not hating (I have several good friends at NRF), but the reality of the market is what it is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”