Boston litigation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Boston litigation

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:48 am

Wanted to know the top firms in the market for litigation. Seems to be a very corporate centric market around life sciences but didn’t know if RG, GP, or WH litigation were highly recognized.

Anonymous User

Re: Boston litigation

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:48 am
Wanted to know the top firms in the market for litigation. Seems to be a very corporate centric market around life sciences but didn’t know if RG, GP, or WH litigation were highly recognized.
Choate is also strong in IP lit and white collar/government enforcement. I have some friends there that are really happy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:27 am

Bumping this. Any insight on Boston lit departments that are particularly good or bad to work for? I know it'll even vary between groups within a firm, but just general strokes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:32 pm

For most litigation, it is WilmerHale then everyone else. WH Boston is a very lit-heavy office. It’s one of the reasons I didn’t like being a transactional associate there.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:27 am
Bumping this. Any insight on Boston lit departments that are particularly good or bad to work for? I know it'll even vary between groups within a firm, but just general strokes.
Crane, Poole and Schmidt is a good one, alternatively, Cage, Fish & McBeal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:39 pm

None of that matters, honestly.

Here’s what you want to do to have good QOL and quality of experience in lit, but this might also apply to other practices as well:

1. Get a list of market-paying biglaw firms that have offices in boston (or any other non nyc city, for that matter) that exist but aren’t that big.

2. Join one of those.

If you end up at a massive boston office like ropes or Wilmer or goodwin or Choate your experience likely just won’t be as good as (off top of head, and in no particular order) white and case, Orrick, foley and Lardner, Dla piper, mofo.

That list is by no means exhaustive but it’s a sample of firms that I believe are market with small-ish offices in boston. They have the fortune 100 clients and do bet-the-company lit as well, but you won’t be competing with a billion lit associates in your class for the choice work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:32 pm
For most litigation, it is WilmerHale then everyone else. WH Boston is a very lit-heavy office. It’s one of the reasons I didn’t like being a transactional associate there.
+1. WH is a lit-centered firm in general with deep trial experience, and the Boston office is no exception. The Boston office has a lot of IP and Sec lit, but you can find other stuff as well (appellate, general lit, etc.), especially with cases out of the DC office. There's also a lot of good pro bono opportunities. The IP lit group is known for working associates a bit hard, but I know plenty in general lit who put in their 2k hours, pass go, collect their bonus, and repeat. Exit options are good too.

Don't get me wrong - other Boston firms have decent litigation groups. But WH is by far the biggest name in litigation here.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:53 pm

malibustacy wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
+1 just for the lol. Working for Denny Crane would likely be a nightmare and hilarious at the same time. Alan Shore too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:55 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:39 pm
None of that matters, honestly.

Here’s what you want to do to have good QOL and quality of experience in lit, but this might also apply to other practices as well:

1. Get a list of market-paying biglaw firms that have offices in boston (or any other non nyc city, for that matter) that exist but aren’t that big.

2. Join one of those.

If you end up at a massive boston office like ropes or Wilmer or goodwin or Choate your experience likely just won’t be as good as (off top of head, and in no particular order) white and case, Orrick, foley and Lardner, Dla piper, mofo.

That list is by no means exhaustive but it’s a sample of firms that I believe are market with small-ish offices in boston. They have the fortune 100 clients and do bet-the-company lit as well, but you won’t be competing with a billion lit associates in your class for the choice work.
Work at one of the big Boston firms and I don’t know where you’re getting “a billion lit associates in your class” from. My office has maybe 10 lit first years, if that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Post by SamuelDanforth » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:37 am

hangtime813 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:53 pm
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1 just for the lol. Working for Denny Crane would likely be a nightmare and hilarious at the same time. Alan Shore too.
Looking at the Crane, Poole and Schmidt website I can't tell if it is a gag or not. Is this a real firm?!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:56 am

SamuelDanforth wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:37 am
hangtime813 wrote:
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Looking at the Crane, Poole and Schmidt website I can't tell if it is a gag or not. Is this a real firm?!
No… it’s from Boston Legal. You found an actual website?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:08 am

SamuelDanforth wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:37 am
hangtime813 wrote:
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Denny Crane really bears a striking resemblance to William Shatner...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 02, 2022 9:57 pm

Necro but does WH hire CA1 clerks consistently? Even if no ties/not ideal pedigree? Looking for somewhere to land post-clerkship and interested in WH or a lit boutique

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 02, 2022 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:57 pm
Necro but does WH hire CA1 clerks consistently? Even if no ties/not ideal pedigree? Looking for somewhere to land post-clerkship and interested in WH or a lit boutique
What do you mean by not ideal pedigree? Worked at WH and saw a few CA1.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 03, 2022 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Terrible school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Terrible school.
How terrible? I think I’ve seen one or two Suffolk grads (although I think one was valedictorian).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2022 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Terrible school.
How terrible? I think I’ve seen one or two Suffolk grads (although I think one was valedictorian).
Around there (and similar stats) so that’s a good benchmark for me. Just wondering what doors the clerkship will realistically open up for me if I’m looking for lit in Boston.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2022 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Terrible school.
Around there (and similar stats) so that’s a good benchmark for me. Just wondering what doors the clerkship will realistically open up for me if I’m looking for lit in Boston.
WH associate here. If you have such a terrible pedigree how did you land the CA1 clerkship? If you graduated at the top of your class from a lower ranked school I would think you'd have a chance. As the previous poster mentioned, we normally pick a couple from the top of the class at Suffolk in any given year. A good reco from your judge wouldn't hurt either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2022 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Terrible school.
WH associate here. If you have such a terrible pedigree how did you land the CA1 clerkship? If you graduated at the top of your class from a lower ranked school I would think you'd have a chance. As the previous poster mentioned, we normally pick a couple from the top of the class at Suffolk in any given year. A good reco from your judge wouldn't hurt either.
I’ve probably outed myself already, but that’s good to know. I’ll go into this much more optimistically. It’s always hard to gauge how much school rank weighs you down if you have other “shiny” accolades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 06, 2022 10:32 am

In my experience (not Boston), a Circuit clerkship makes up for a lot, including a less-than-great law school. You had to get that clerkship somehow, right? And it's harder for a grad from a low-ranked schooler to land a Circuit clerkship than it is for the same person to land a biglaw job, so there must be something compelling about you. That's how they think, and I don't think it's wrong.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”