Culture at STB vs. Davis Polk vs. Latham (NYC) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Culture at STB vs. Davis Polk vs. Latham (NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:12 pm

Pre-OCI offers from STB, Davis Polk and Latham all in NYC. Interested in corporate but wanted to learn about the culture at each of these firms. Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Culture at STB vs. Davis Polk vs. Latham (NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:42 pm

Piggybacking to see if anyone has info on STB lit. Seems like a smaller practice group, which I'm not opposed to tbh. Is it as insanely overbusy as STB corporate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:42 pm
Piggybacking to see if anyone has info on STB lit. Seems like a smaller practice group, which I'm not opposed to tbh. Is it as insanely overbusy as STB corporate?
Don't go to STB for lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:42 pm
Don't go to STB for lit.
Ok, why?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:36 pm

Disclaimer: I’m an associate at LW

DPW and STB are traditional stuffy white shoe firms, although I would give the edge to DPW as being a better place to work as I have heard horrible things about STB corporate and have even seen some of this working across from them.

Latham is quite different from either of the above as they are a much more laid back and social firm. You’ll certainly be working very hard but from talking to my peers at the above firms, my time feels much more appreciated and supervisors/leadership very much understands we are stretched too thin, whereas friends at these firms are expected to take their 90 hour weeks with a smile on their face. I also place a premium on working with people who I would also like spending time with outside of work, which is a common shared point among people at Latham, but that’s certainly not a consideration for everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:36 pm
Disclaimer: I’m an associate at LW

DPW and STB are traditional stuffy white shoe firms, although I would give the edge to DPW as being a better place to work as I have heard horrible things about STB corporate and have even seen some of this working across from them.

Latham is quite different from either of the above as they are a much more laid back and social firm. You’ll certainly be working very hard but from talking to my peers at the above firms, my time feels much more appreciated and supervisors/leadership very much understands we are stretched too thin, whereas friends at these firms are expected to take their 90 hour weeks with a smile on their face. I also place a premium on working with people who I would also like spending time with outside of work, which is a common shared point among people at Latham, but that’s certainly not a consideration for everyone.
agree that LW is a more social firm although not all ppl want to socialize at work. Another consideration is rotation vs unassigned. DPW has more structured rotation system for juniors, whereas LW is mostly unassigned for 18 months. DPW has a larger presence in NYC than LW, I think they are ~800 ppl in NYC

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:23 pm

NY LW mid level here. Agree with poster above. Consensus at LW is that it’s as good as biglaw can get. People all are normal (for the most part), no one screams, your work is appreciated and you feel more than just a robot churning out work for someone that doesn’t care for you. Flexible about working from home whenever (even pre-covid). Associates committee is nice as there is a ton of transparency about the way things are done. High quality work and plenty of it to go around. You can get away with coasting for a bit if you want, but also have the opportunity to make a name for yourself early along if you’re motivated to do that. Associates for the most part drink the LW koolaid. Would rather gouge my eye out than leave here for STB or DPW—ny friends at those firms have a significantly lower quality of life than we do IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”