Getting into big law firm from big 4 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Getting into big law firm from big 4

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:41 am

Feeling a bit dejected and would like some honest input. Graduated from a good law school with a 3.2 GPA. Have been working for a big 4 (as that was all I could enter at that point when law firms were very hard to get into even for soemone with a good GPA) for 6 years, will be promoted to manager in a few months. It was always my dream to do big law. I understand now is a good time to try to make the switch to big law but I have not been having success... had one promising 2 step interview that they dinged after 4 weeks with no feedback. The other law firms are either not going past the first screener or not even looking at my blind profile at all. Would like input as to how I can make this switch at this point, is it better if I wait until I am manager to start looking etc. if anyone has been there and has tips I would really appreciate it. Any ideas of firms in the NY area who would consider a lateral hire with this profile that would not be so selective?

walking-paradox

New

Re: Getting into big law firm from big 4

Post by walking-paradox » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:41 am
Feeling a bit dejected and would like some honest input. Graduated from a good law school with a 3.2 GPA. Have been working for a big 4 (as that was all I could enter at that point when law firms were very hard to get into even for soemone with a good GPA) for 6 years, will be promoted to manager in a few months. It was always my dream to do big law. I understand now is a good time to try to make the switch to big law but I have not been having success... had one promising 2 step interview that they dinged after 4 weeks with no feedback. The other law firms are either not going past the first screener or not even looking at my blind profile at all. Would like input as to how I can make this switch at this point, is it better if I wait until I am manager to start looking etc. if anyone has been there and has tips I would really appreciate it. Any ideas of firms in the NY area who would consider a lateral hire with this profile that would not be so selective?
I’m not sure if being promoted is going to make a difference. Biglaw cares a lot of about grades at this point because you aren’t coming in as a lateral (you’d most likely start as a first year because you have 6 years of experience as an accountant, not as a laywer). That means you’re competing against an excess of fresh law students who may have better grades and competing against the traditional hiring system (i.e. Summer associate —> full time associate). You’ll probably have a hard time coming in the traditional path and may have to look into networking and getting someone to essentially vouch for you or possibly trying to get a clerkship and enter the legal field that way (which may be impossible given grades and timing but someone else with more experience can comment on that). Aside from that, you can try to get actual legal experience at a small/mid law firm and try to lateral that way. That’s probably going to be an easier sell than starting as a first year 6 years out from law school with seemingly below median grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:06 pm

Are you doing tax at big 4? That can make it easier, assuming you are interested in tax in big law. If not, six years of experience is a fairly senior level to move across at, and you will likely start as a first year associate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:36 pm

OP here- yes I am doing tax with a specialty in Comps and benefits

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:59 pm

Are you in consulting /advisory or tax ?

What is your specialty within your division ?

Are you seeking a position in tax,M&A,or ? with law firms ?

What do you mean by "a good law school" ? Top 20 ? First Tier ?

Difficult to help without more specific information ?

Major law firms are selective based upon your specialty & work experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:02 pm

Unfortunately, even in this busy market, firms are not really looking at big4, especially at your level.

I spoke to a recruiter I’ve worked with recently, and she said that partners at some firms want to exhaust all biglaw options before settling for a big4 person. Is it unfair and elitist? Yes. But it’s the reality of it.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:40 pm

While this may be the sentiment at many law firms, it is not universal. I know 2 individuals (one east coast & the other west coast) who have recently moved from Big 4 accounting firms to biglaw. But, it may or may not be much of an option for the OP depending upon OP's current specialty area and upon which practice area that OP is seeking in biglaw.

There are major law firms in DC & NYC which specify in their ads that candidates with accounting firm experience are welcome / encouraged to apply. But this is for certain practice areas such as the specialty areas within tax law and with respect to tax controversy.

Nevertheless,many biglaw firms do state specifically that they are seeking only applicants with law firm experience.

Hopefully, OP will return and share more detailed information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:06 pm

op here- Currently working in tax in exec comps and benefits (6 years)

would rather not share my exact school but its along the lines of Fordham/Cornell.

where can I go from here to get into Big Law?

chruck

New

Post by chruck » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:05 pm

OP - you may have the best luck finding former big four people that went to big law and reaching out directly. My SOs firm has a specific practice area where a senior associate had big four experience before moving to big law and likes hiring people with big four experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:33 am

chruck wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:05 pm
OP - you may have the best luck finding former big four people that went to big law and reaching out directly. My SOs firm has a specific practice area where a senior associate had big four experience before moving to big law and likes hiring people with big four experience.
Which practice area ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:06 pm
op here- Currently working in tax in exec comps and benefits (6 years)

would rather not share my exact school but its along the lines of Fordham/Cornell.

where can I go from here to get into Big Law?
Keep applying.In your case, there may be a bit of reluctance from law firms as you are not yet a manager and,therefore, lack that stamp of accomplishment.

Another hold-up may be bar membership in the relevant jurisdiction. If you are a member of the New York state bar & are applying to New York firms, then it should come after you are promoted to manager. (DC membership is usually not as an issue as it is fairly easy to be admitted based on one's current bar membership.)

Some firms do not hire from Big 4, while others state in their ads that those with accounting firm experience are welcome or encouraged to apply.

Making the move into biglaw from Big 4 is easier for those with National Tax Office experience due to extensive research & writing experience as well as deal structuring knowledge. Plus, the caliber of individuals who work in Big 4 National Tax Offices is excellent as many have very significant federal government experience & many gave up biglaw partnerships to move to Big 4 NTO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:21 am

CanadianWolf wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:33 am
chruck wrote:
Which practice area ?
International tax

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:21 am
CanadianWolf wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:33 am
chruck wrote:
Which practice area ?
International tax
Thank you for responding. International Tax makes sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Miss-Bubbled

New

Post by Miss-Bubbled » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:58 am

I know people who have transitioned from accounting firms to big law by doing a tax llm, but that is quite costly and they started over as first years.

If you go to NYU and maybe Gtown you might be able to do that. Since you’re looking at benefits and not tax, I’d be surprised if you didn’t get something and they may give you some credit for your work experience, but not as much as you would probably want.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:41 am
Just reread this thread and would like to comment further.

My first impression was that a significant roadblock in your attempt to move from a Big 4 accounting firm to a NYC biglaw firm is that after 6 years with the Big 4 that you had not yet been promoted to manager. My impression remains.

Currently you work in "executive compensation & benefits" at your Big 4 firm. How long have you been in this specialty ? To what type of specialty positions / practice areas are you applying at law firms ? Tax ? M&A ? Corporate ? Executive Compensation ?

For example; If you are applying to just Executive Compensation positions, then it is important to share how long you have been in that specialty practice area with the Big 4 accounting firm and it would be helpful to know which area you practiced in before switching to Executive Compensation.

If you are applying to biglaw positions that are not specifically seeking one for Executive Compensation, then you have a problem regarding relevant work experience.

If you are concerned about posting additional information publicly, then feel free to PM / DM.

Also, regarding earning an LLM in taxation at Georgetown or NYU, it would be costly in terms of lost income for 10 months if you attend full-time,but many earn tax LLM degrees on a part-time basis while continuing to work full-time. Your Big 4 may offer some amount of tuition reimbursement. If you attend full-time, then both NYU & Georgetown offer partial tuition scholarships for which you may qualify / be offered.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”