End of summer gifts as a SA appropriate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

End of summer gifts as a SA appropriate?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:46 pm

I've come across conflicted sentiments and was wondering if this is okay or weird. We would not know whether we had offers on the last day, but I would like to get my supervising attorneys and secretary a small gift as a gesture of my thanks. Nothing fancy, probably snacks.

cavalier1138

Re: End of summer gifts as a SA appropriate?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:25 pm

Objectively, no.

If you worked for me, then please send snacks.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:34 pm

Caveat that if your firm has different expectations go with whatever they do, but generally, gifts are supposed to flow down the chain of command but not up. So a gift for your secretary would be cool, but not as appropriate for your supervising attorneys. You could just give them each a thank-you card if you feel compelled to mark the occasion (no one will expect it though).

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:37 pm

Supervising attorneys, no. Secretary, sure, but not necessary.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:46 pm
I've come across conflicted sentiments and was wondering if this is okay or weird. We would not know whether we had offers on the last day, but I would like to get my supervising attorneys and secretary a small gift as a gesture of my thanks. Nothing fancy, probably snacks.
I wouldnt get the attorneys anything, but a gift to the assistants/admin people would be a nice gesture

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawSk3WW

New

Post by LawSk3WW » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Maybe this was wrong but my entire class got gifts for our mentors and supervising attorneys when I was a summer. Nothing fancy, but we got them wine, starbucks gift cards, etc.

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:38 pm

The only answer is to ask current first years who were SAs at your office what the convention was during their summer, then do that.

For my SA class, the convention was for the SA class to pool some cash and get the recruiting coordinator who dealt with our bullshit all summer a decent sized gift card, thank you note and some flowers, and then individually like a $20 gift card and thank you note for the secretary they assigned you for the summer

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:09 pm

I think snacks are totally fine.
I'm in a secondary market and my folks live on a small farm/orchard out in the country, so I took stuff that was homemade to the firm and just put it in one of the breakrooms and told everyone, lol. May have been the wrong move but people seemed to enjoy it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”