Biglaw vs. lit boutique for skill development Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw vs. lit boutique for skill development

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:05 pm

Sorry if this is covered already and anon because the information would probably identify me. I'm a current lit midlevel/senior at a large mostly corporate firm in major market -- the work I'm doing is essentially the exact same that I'm doing as a junior and I feel like I'm not given any meaningful or substantive development opportunities. I'm not even really looped in or involved in strategy, so I'd really describe myself as an overpaid scribe.

I'm pretty miserable and am looking to leave as soon as possible -- among other things, I'm considering litigation boutiques (thinking in the 10-30 range or thereabouts). Fellow biglaw lit refugees who have gone to smaller firms for more substantive experience/skill development, what has your experience been? Do you regret it?

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw vs. lit boutique for skill development

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:41 pm

I've litigated against one Chicago boutique, Lovey, and I know that they have 3rd and possibly 2nd years taking deps and writing dispositive motions. However, they pay about half of biglaw and are just as competitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 pm

If you are willing to take a pay cut, you can do some real litigating. Obviously there are market paying boutiques too, but they are hard to land. I left big law and went to a firm of 25. It is night and day. I used to do the ministerial stuff you are talking about and, when I came here, I immediately was advising clients, making major strategic decisions, and taking depos. But the pay is meh. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. The biglaw lit experience is barely practicing law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 pm
If you are willing to take a pay cut, you can do some real litigating. Obviously there are market paying boutiques too, but they are hard to land. I left big law and went to a firm of 25. It is night and day. I used to do the ministerial stuff you are talking about and, when I came here, I immediately was advising clients, making major strategic decisions, and taking depos. But the pay is meh. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. The biglaw lit experience is barely practicing law.

What sort of pay cut are we talking about? As a 3rd year biglaw associate you're making 300k factoring bonuses in. If you can expect to make 150k+ at a boutique doing real lawyering for less hours, that's pretty good imo.

Relatedly, were the hours actually less or is that a myth?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:18 pm

Few boutiques are going to start someone without any real lit experience $150k. Closer to $100 to $110.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:51 pm

Relatedly: I'm headed to Quinn/Kirkland/GDC next summer, but plan on clerking after school. If I can't get a boutique spot post-clerkship, how long would I need to stay in biglaw to make the jump?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”