office near grand central: live in murray hill or east village? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

east village vs murray hill

east village
73%
murray hill
27%

Total votes: 62

Anonymous User

office near grand central: live in murray hill or east village?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:22 pm

working at a firm near grand central
Murray hill is in walking distance, but east village has a lot more fun stuff nearby and is pretty easy to get to midtown from (not talking about alphabet city). Where would you live?

tlsguy2020

New

Re: office near grand central: live in murray hill or east village?

Post by tlsguy2020 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:43 pm

East Village within close walking distance of Astor Place or Union Square is an easy and short commute to Grand Central and a preferable place to live than Murray Hill imo

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:49 pm

tlsguy2020 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:43 pm
East Village within close walking distance of Astor Place or Union Square is an easy and short commute to Grand Central and a preferable place to live than Murray Hill imo
This. Murray Hill generally sucks and is only worth considering, in my opinion, if you have to be able to walk to work (but then why not UES?) or want a luxury building. The 6 train should make it 20 minutes door-to-door from the East Village, which still has some life in it and much better food and drink options than Murray Hill.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:27 pm

East Village is a great neighborhood but the new apartments are super expensive and the cheaper places are pretty small/old. Not a lot of middle ground unfortunately. If you are fine with either paying a lot of money or living in a smaller/older apartment, EV is absolutely the move.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:22 pm
Murray hill is in walking distance, but east village has a lot more fun stuff nearby and is pretty easy to get to midtown from (not talking about alphabet city). Where would you live?
Probably unpopular opinion: particularly if you're at DPW/STB, save the money and time and try to live within a ten block radius of the office. There are some nice places in the late 30s to mid 40s between 2nd and Lex that are likely quieter than the places in the EV. The ability to sleep peacefully for an extra 45 minutes most days is definitely worth more to my sanity and health than having to take the 6 train on the odd Tuesday/Thursday night I made it out or the one weekend in six when I was not working, in town, and didn't want to go to Williamsburg or the West Village.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:30 am

How come UES isn’t on the table here?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:05 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Probably unpopular opinion: particularly if you're at DPW/STB, save the money and time and try to live within a ten block radius of the office. There are some nice places in the late 30s to mid 40s between 2nd and Lex that are likely quieter than the places in the EV. The ability to sleep peacefully for an extra 45 minutes most days is definitely worth more to my sanity and health than having to take the 6 train on the odd Tuesday/Thursday night I made it out or the one weekend in six when I was not working, in town, and didn't want to go to Williamsburg or the West Village.
Do not listen to this person. This is the kind of person who thinks that they are required to identify themselves as a lawyer above all else, and believe that this preserves their sanity. This is offensive to anyone's sense of self as it exists apart from their job. Also, c'mon man‚ don't pretend that taking the subway is some monstrous horror show while also trying to pretend that living in Midtown of all places is somehow "nice," let alone affordable. The entire population of the city uses the train every single day without fail, and you can get basically anywhere you need to be in under 45 minutes. Commuting is a part of life.

I guess if you really are this devoid of personality outside of your job, you could choose to actively make yourself even more miserable and choose to live in Midtown. You can enjoy the food and culture that has made New York famous, like Sbarro's and the M&Ms Store, or if you're feeling really fancy, an Au Bon Pain. Or better yet, just ask HR if anyone minds if you sleep at the office. You can save a ton in rent, it's guaranteed to be quieter than Midtown, and you would be even more available for work!

No one is under the illusion that you don't work obscene hours at these places, or that they don't dominate your entire life. I would ask anyone moving here for the first time in their lives to carefully consider why the limited free time you do have should be spent in the worst neighborhood in the entire city. I would argue that the choice to live a reasonable distance from the office is more important when your time is more limited. Living somewhere away from the office will force you to at least see different restaurants, coffee shops, bars, galleries, museums, and parks and remind you that there is life outside of this profession. Living near any of these offices is guaranteed to isolate you further from any friends or family you have outside of the law, and will make you feel even more alone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:05 am
Anonymous User wrote:
if you like going out in EV or LES though, it seems like a slam dunk to do EV. also, you're often taking a car home anyways from work
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:04 pm

As someone who enjoys walking to and from work (even on late nights in the office) I like living in Murray Hill while opting to walk/subway/cab to EV or LES when I'm out socializing on Fridays/Weekends, but two big caveats:

1) I'm not single, if I was trying to meet new people / date I think I would care a lot more about being really close to a more social area to make use of my limited free time.

2) The benefits of Murray Hill really only apply when going into the office, and living in Murray Hill while WFH for 18+ months was a bit of a bummer. I'm going back into the office more often now so it is less of a concern, but if you are planning to/able to WFH a lot then EV might be better.

To those asking about UES. I personally think it combines the negatives of the EV and Murray Hill without the positives (less social and less convenient for getting to work) but YMMV.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:46 pm

I'm a bit of a Murray Hill-stan, as I think it gets an unfair rep. Here's my two cents:

1. Rent: Murray Hill wins hands down. Bigger and cheaper apartments, newer residences that are cleanlier/more comfortable. Quiet areas that don't have a ton of rats/garbage.

2. Transportation: Like you said, you'll be walking distance to work. You'll also be one stop away from both Union Square and Grand Central, which are two hubs that can take you anywhere in NYC. EV is also perfectly fine for transportation, so I think this is a wash and shouldn't really factor too much into your decision.

3. Food: Hot take - Murray Hill has better restaurants than EV. Yes, I know about all the hip and cool restaurants in EV. First, most of those EV restaurants are actually in LES and not EV, so you'll still need to take subway/cab. Second, Murray Hill has awesome gems in Curry Hill and way better quick bite options (which you'll be doing more often than sit-down restaurant eating). If you're single, second and first ave has some great low-key date options. EV and West Village date spots will always be crowded and loud - personally, not a great vibe for a first date. Basically, there's more to Murray Hill than 3rd ave.

4. Nightlife: EV is without a doubt better. However, you spend a lot more time working/living than you do going out. Additionally, Murray Hill is super close to EV (literally 5-10 minute cab ride or just walk). Most people hate on Murray Hill because a bunch of 22 year olds college kids live there. You are not forced to interact with your neighbors or join them on a night out to Joshua Tree or wherever. Most people go out in several different neighborhoods and very few people consistently go out in the neighborhood they live in. As long as you're within 15 minutes of the neighborhood you want to go out in most frequently, you're okay.

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:46 pm
3. Food: Hot take - Murray Hill has better restaurants than EV. Yes, I know about all the hip and cool restaurants in EV. First, most of those EV restaurants are actually in LES and not EV, so you'll still need to take subway/cab. Second, Murray Hill has awesome gems in Curry Hill and way better quick bite options (which you'll be doing more often than sit-down restaurant eating). If you're single, second and first ave has some great low-key date options. EV and West Village date spots will always be crowded and loud - personally, not a great vibe for a first date. Basically, there's more to Murray Hill than 3rd ave.
This is a very hot take, and also wrong. The East Village has the highest concentration of varied, interesting, diverse, good restaurants in a single neighborhood in the city, imho. It's also weird that you're acting as though people mix up the LES and EV. LES has some good restaurants, but the EV stands on its own.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:11 pm

aren't there negatives from living THAT close to work as well? i feel like some separation is good. obviously dont want a long commute, but 20 minutes might be the sweet spot

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:40 pm

thisismytlsuername wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
This is a very hot take, and also wrong. The East Village has the highest concentration of varied, interesting, diverse, good restaurants in a single neighborhood in the city, imho. It's also weird that you're acting as though people mix up the LES and EV. LES has some good restaurants, but the EV stands on its own.
OP with the hot take here. EV food options are overrated, but you're probably right that I overexaggerated. Either way, I think for me it goes WV>GV>Hells Kitchen>Chelsea>Chinatown>LES>EV for Manhattan. Throwing Queens into the mix is a whole different element where I gotta figure out where to stack up Flushing, Jackson Heights and Astoria which are all power hitters on par with Hells Kitchen and better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:52 pm

If you really care about food, Jackson Heights hands down has the best, most varied cuisine. It’s not even close.

That said, I live walking distance to work and it has been amazing, and would choose proximity over hipness for the very real benefits it has wrought in my daily life (can work out in the am without worrying because I am 15 min walk to work, for example).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:23 am

bretby wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:52 pm
If you really care about food, Jackson Heights hands down has the best, most varied cuisine. It’s not even close.

That said, I live walking distance to work and it has been amazing, and would choose proximity over hipness for the very real benefits it has wrought in my daily life (can work out in the am without worrying because I am 15 min walk to work, for example).
yeah this is all personal. if you regularly go out to ev/les (1-2 a week) then it's EV. if you dont go there, then don't live there

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:40 pm
thisismytlsuername wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
OP with the hot take here. EV food options are overrated, but you're probably right that I overexaggerated. Either way, I think for me it goes WV>GV>Hells Kitchen>Chelsea>Chinatown>LES>EV for Manhattan. Throwing Queens into the mix is a whole different element where I gotta figure out where to stack up Flushing, Jackson Heights and Astoria which are all power hitters on par with Hells Kitchen and better.
Wtf do you eat?! The West Village has the most overrated and overpriced restaurants in the city (and this is coming from someone who lived in the West Village for 5+ years). It's mostly very expensive Italian food. And Hell's Kitchen?! I lived there as well, and loved it, and there are some great places (and my favorite cheap Mexican in the city), but it doesn't compare at all to the variety, quality, and volume of the EV.

Off the top of my head, WV and Hell's Kitchen have no places that can compare to Ko, Yellow Rose, Foxface, Superiority Burger, Cafe Himalaya, Casa Adela, Mala Project, or CheLi. I can't think of good examples of any of those types of food in either WV or HK, whereas the good Italian in the WV and the good Thai in HK all have comparables in the EV.

Why do you say the EV is overrated?
Last edited by thisismytlsuername on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:17 am

To OP, one thing that people underrate in the city is living on a quiet, tree-lined street without huge buildings. Murray Hill is too much like midtown for me. Tons of cars, concrete, and tall buildings, not as many trees. It makes a difference.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:43 pm

living right next to the office seems like a classic K-JD, first real job trap

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:43 pm
living right next to the office seems like a classic K-JD, first real job trap
Cannot agree more. The poster above is right: go find yourself a quiet, tree-lined side street, between 20-45 minutes from the office. Anywhere worth living in the city is going to be within that time away from the office on the train, by bus, on on foot, so you might as well find somewhere that does not make your teeth and fists clench instinctively on approach. Living close to the office, no matter where your office is, is the only guaranteed way to hate where you live almost as much as you hate where you work, and you're going to work too much to be this angry all the time by choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:18 pm

Upper east side is the move

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:12 am

Damn, I'm now 38 and a v10 equity partner, and this thread takes me way back to when I started as a 1st year in NYC. Enjoy your youth! :D :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”