Mental breakdown/quitting job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mental breakdown/quitting job

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:40 pm

Anyone else on the verge of breaking down? I’ve been working at a 3200-4000 hr pace and I have been making dumb fuck ups at work as a result. Idk what to do and I just got into my firm but it’s too much. There’s been people leaving in droves and too few hands to spread the work around. I’ve worked 7 days a week, 15-18 hr days and I am so sleep deprived and stressed.

I just want to know whether I’m an outlier or if other people have been experiencing this during this busy time.

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Re: Mental breakdown/quitting job

Post by Definitely Not North » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:40 pm
3200-4000 hr pace
uhhhh yeah that's definitely an outlier

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone else on the verge of breaking down? I’ve been working at a 3200-4000 hr pace and I have been making dumb fuck ups at work as a result. Idk what to do and I just got into my firm but it’s too much. There’s been people leaving in droves and too few hands to spread the work around. I’ve worked 7 days a week, 15-18 hr days and I am so sleep deprived and stressed.

I just want to know whether I’m an outlier or if other people have been experiencing this during this busy time.
This is insane. Market is too hot to put yourself through that

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Post by Ultramar vistas » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:33 pm

Definitely Not North wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
3200-4000 hr pace
uhhhh yeah that's definitely an outlier
Like, top (bottom?) 0.1%

Surprised your firm hasn’t already made you go on leave.

Most people cease normal human functioning at about 2500 hrs and just become biglaw automatons - I’ve never experienced 3000 and never hope to, but I don’t know how you even find time to eat.

Only advice is to quit and take a break.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:07 pm

OP here. I’ve had some dark thoughts lately. Have been just having panic attacks and feel constantly stressed and anxious. I’m thinking I’m a blink away from having a nervous breakdown.

I think I need to step away from the job but idk how. I haven’t told people at my firm how I’ve been feeling but I don’t know what to say.

I work with a lot of international clients so the time zones are really messing me up. Late night calls. Early morning calls. Waking up to fire drills constantly. I don’t have time to shower. I don’t know what I’m even trying to say at this point. Maybe just a cry for help or a place to rant.

I feel like Rick from Rick and Morty, that one episode where he turns into a teenager and is singing that this isn’t a joke, that he’s in pain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:38 pm

Yeah it is time to either (i) go on medical leave now (like, talk to HR tomorrow) and then work on lateralling or (ii) if you still somehow have stamina (sounds like no, quite understandably), try to lateral ASAP and then go on medical leave if it doesn't happen fast enough, but almost certainly just do (i) based on what you're describing. That pace is not close to acceptable by about another separate entire year's worth of billable hours. Time to GTFO.

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Post by Ultramar vistas » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:07 pm
OP here. I’ve had some dark thoughts lately. Have been just having panic attacks and feel constantly stressed and anxious. I’m thinking I’m a blink away from having a nervous breakdown.

I think I need to step away from the job but idk how. I haven’t told people at my firm how I’ve been feeling but I don’t know what to say.

I work with a lot of international clients so the time zones are really messing me up. Late night calls. Early morning calls. Waking up to fire drills constantly. I don’t have time to shower. I don’t know what I’m even trying to say at this point. Maybe just a cry for help or a place to rant.

I feel like Rick from Rick and Morty, that one episode where he turns into a teenager and is singing that this isn’t a joke, that he’s in pain.
I know it’s hard to appreciate right now, but this job is so not worth it, and so not as high stakes as they make you believe.

The worst case scenario of you chilling out and taking your job less seriously is not worth being afraid of. You will be okay, you will have a job, you will have friends and family.

I hear you on the dark thoughts, but just think how absurd it would be to literally let this job kill you before you just… quit? Don’t do it.

This whole thing is kind of a con job to get you to work harder than you need to, so if you’re too tied to the people you currently work for and too loyal to slow down there, lateral, take a month off, and then set boundaries at the new place.

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:44 am

What is your practice area?

Many firms are now offering low-hours, non-partnership roles to attract talented candidates who want to preserve their mental health.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:47 am

OP here. Cap markets.

I think I’m going to try to move to another firm. What’s been going on is unsustainable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:47 am
I think I’m going to try to move to another firm. What’s been going on is unsustainable.
Great call. You'll probably have another job lined up within 1 month.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:47 am
OP here. Cap markets.

As an immediate fix, you need to start saying no to work. Not just new projects/deals but also new assignments from your deal teams. Just tell them you are at capacity and cannot do it. Also, push back on deadlines for any current projects that are jamming you too much. The number of hours you are trying to put in is not sustainable and this job is not worth your health.

If things are really bad and reduced hours won't help, ask to use vacation immediately. Take a couple weeks and do zero work. If that doesn't let you recover, ask for medical leave and take 6-10 weeks. If your group legitimately expects this amount of work from you, you should lateral.

12YrsAnAssociate

Bronze

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:21 pm

I would call in sick for a week man. Your life sounds miserable.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:53 am

You should absolutely stop whatever you are doing now and don't take a single new assignment. Go on leave or call in sick or whatever. Anything over 2200 is stupid. Anything over 1800 is stupid too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:50 am

whats an updog wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:53 am
You should absolutely stop whatever you are doing now and don't take a single new assignment. Go on leave or call in sick or whatever. Anything over 2200 is stupid. Anything over 1800 is stupid too.
Many firms still have the 2000 hour requirement though. Anything over 2200~2300 I really don't want do.

uygiugiyugyugk

New

Post by uygiugiyugyugk » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 am

Biglaw Partner: No. Your suffering must be greater. Only then do you have my permission to die.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:28 pm

So sorry you're going through this. No it's not normal. You have to push back or you will officially burn out. That's kinda the only way to survive. Just say no. Based on what you're saying, there is zero chance they will fire you for doing that. They need you right now.

As for the mistakes, you have to learn to not care. Everyone makes mistakes at every level. I was on a case where a partner made a mistake earlier in the case that essentially made us lose the entire thing. And he took the blame. He's leading a practice group at a firm now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:02 pm

I was in a similar situation, was on pace for about 3200 hours, and I was all around being a miserable human. I lateralled and made it pretty clear that while I was a hard worker, being over worked was big issue for me. Lateralling worked well for me and I have been significantly happier. Doesn't work for everyone, but I'm happy with my decision.

Best of luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

12YrsAnAssociate

Bronze

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:02 pm
I was in a similar situation, was on pace for about 3200 hours, and I was all around being a miserable human. I lateralled and made it pretty clear that while I was a hard worker, being over worked was big issue for me. Lateralling worked well for me and I have been significantly happier. Doesn't work for everyone, but I'm happy with my decision.

Best of luck.
We have some new associates that interviewed with this same reason for why they were leaving their last firm. The partners I work with are treating them with baby gloves. So at least so far it was a good strategy.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:32 pm

Baby gloves!!! Love the image.
(Sorry forgot to quote - don’t know how to edit it in - this is in reference to the post above)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:50 am
whats an updog wrote:
Many firms still have the 2000 hour requirement though. Anything over 2200~2300 I really don't want do.
How many years can you coast not making 2000 hours if you are at a firm that doesn't have an hours requirement but is a notorious sweat shop?

DukeMountain

New

Post by DukeMountain » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
whats an updog wrote:
How many years can you coast not making 2000 hours if you are at a firm that doesn't have an hours requirement but is a notorious sweat shop?
If your work is good, you’re well liked and build solid relationships - potentially forever except for situations completely out of your control. Firms don’t typically fire folks for working 1950 hours to try to hire someone who will do 2050.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:39 pm

DukeMountain wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
whats an updog wrote:
If your work is good, you’re well liked and build solid relationships - potentially forever except for situations completely out of your control. Firms don’t typically fire folks for working 1950 hours to try to hire someone who will do 2050.
Yep if you do good work and are well liked you'll be fine. You're still making them boatloads of cash.

hdr

Bronze

Post by hdr » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:36 am

No one gets fired for billing 1800 hours. As a practical matter, if you pull off 1800 at a sweatshop during a busy year, it probably means you're turning down lots of work and pissing people off. But that's not going to get you fired unless people stop giving you work. At worst you'll be slowly pushed out as a senior associate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:29 am

https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/2018 ... 0624022813

OP, you read this? A job is a job. How can this be more important than your well-being? You won't take your money with you when you go in the ground.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”