Current State of the London Market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Current State of the London Market

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:23 am

My girlfriend is a US/UK citizen and dual-qualified attorney. I am currently a junior associate in transactional practice at a top west coast firm. We are exploring a lateral move to London so we can be closer to her family as we enter the next chapter of life.

Does anyone have a pulse on the market for US attorneys in London? Are firms generally busy and in need of bodies? Are COLAs still a thing? I've searched loads, but TLS London threads are generally dated. Thanks in advance for any info.

Anonymous User

Re: Current State of the London Market

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:26 am

I’m a capital markets associate at a US firm in London. There’s lot of good info on here if you search around a bit.

Most of the work here for US qualified attorneys is high-yield debt, though you will likely work on other types of capital markets transactions (IPOs, EMTN programmes, etc.) as well. Check Chambers for the rankings. Most of these firms are hiring and/or willing to review the CV of someone coming from a good firm in the US.

COLAs still exist. Lowest I’ve heard of is $50k at one of the magic circle firms and highest is $100k at Kirkland. Most firms fall somewhere in between.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:10 pm

Not OP, but also really interested in this. I appreciate both OP's question and the response.

Question with regard to COLA: do firms tend to have one single COLA figure across the board for all class years, or separate COLA figures depending on seniority?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:10 pm
Not OP, but also really interested in this. I appreciate both OP's question and the response.

Question with regard to COLA: do firms tend to have one single COLA figure across the board for all class years, or separate COLA figures depending on seniority?
I’m the anon above. COLA is the same across class years but note that it’s usually phased out after a certain number of years, which will vary depending on firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:53 am

How does this work, is it 100K COLA per annum for a few years or is it 100K spread out over a number of years?
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:26 am
I’m a capital markets associate at a US firm in London. There’s lot of good info on here if you search around a bit.

Most of the work here for US qualified attorneys is high-yield debt, though you will likely work on other types of capital markets transactions (IPOs, EMTN programmes, etc.) as well. Check Chambers for the rankings. Most of these firms are hiring and/or willing to review the CV of someone coming from a good firm in the US.

COLAs still exist. Lowest I’ve heard of is $50k at one of the magic circle firms and highest is $100k at Kirkland. Most firms fall somewhere in between.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:18 am

OP here - thanks all. Most of the London offices of US firms just have an email drop for applying rather than specific job postings. Is the best way to work with a recruiter? Or apply directly? Or reach out to partners?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:09 pm

Junior transactional associate about to move to London, too. Super interested in this topic and would appreciate any info/insight on hours expectation in London, and exit options for US JDs working in big law's London office.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”