Is Dirty Sexy Money Complete Fiction or are there really lawyers who directly work for old money families? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Inhousefuture

New

Is Dirty Sexy Money Complete Fiction or are there really lawyers who directly work for old money families?

Post by Inhousefuture » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:14 pm

Hello, I am not sure if any of you remember the show Dirty Sexy Money. This show resolves around a man who became the general counsel to an old money aristocratic family. In the series, he is deeply involved with their lives, is their direct employee, and works at the family office I think.

That sounded like an interesting job, working around and directly for an old money aristocratic family at their actual office. In doing some research, YES there are plenty of lawyers in who who have old money aristocratic clients. However, they almost all seem to work for law firms. Maybe the two or three largest family foundations (Gates, Rockefeller) might have a few lawyers in the building. But, they are several levels down in reporting directly to the principals.

So, is Dirty Sexy Money fiction or are has anyone seen any lawyers who actually WORK DIRECTLY for old money aristocratic families as employees at the Family Office, Foundation, Operating business, etc?

Thanks

jhett

Bronze

Re: Is Dirty Sexy Money Complete Fiction or are there really lawyers who directly work for old money families?

Post by jhett » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:32 pm

Inhousefuture wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:14 pm
So, is Dirty Sexy Money fiction or are has anyone seen any lawyers who actually WORK DIRECTLY for old money aristocratic families as employees at the Family Office, Foundation, Operating business, etc?

Yes, there are. Donald Trump is one very famous example - see Michael Cohen (lawyer in Trump Organization) and Rudy Guiliani (personal lawyer). Although I'm not sure I'd characterize Trump as aristocratic or old money.

el madrileno

New

Re: Is Dirty Sexy Money Complete Fiction or are there really lawyers who directly work for old money families?

Post by el madrileno » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:53 pm

This type of character is my favorite recurring character in media. Tom Hagen is the best, but the current title belt holder is Gerri from Succession. I guess she's not counsel for the family, but she might as well be.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:41 pm

Inhousefuture wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:14 pm
Hello, I am not sure if any of you remember the show Dirty Sexy Money. This show resolves around a man who became the general counsel to an old money aristocratic family. In the series, he is deeply involved with their lives, is their direct employee, and works at the family office I think.

That sounded like an interesting job, working around and directly for an old money aristocratic family at their actual office. In doing some research, YES there are plenty of lawyers in who who have old money aristocratic clients. However, they almost all seem to work for law firms. Maybe the two or three largest family foundations (Gates, Rockefeller) might have a few lawyers in the building. But, they are several levels down in reporting directly to the principals.

Thanks
I know several people who have exited biglaw into this role (GC of a family office) but they seem to have less involvement with the actual family than you’d expect (or that is portrayed on a tv show) from talking with them.

ConfusedNYer

New

Post by ConfusedNYer » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:04 am

This is basically how Milbank originally started - but I think it is much less of a thing / not really a career goal you can have (best way to get it would be to have some sort of actual social relationship with the family, I guess?)

Closest thing I can think of that is kind of a regular attorney position is a small/solo T&E lawyer with a handful of old rich clients, but that's not really the same thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:22 am

Working for a family office is a thing. I know someone who did it for a billionaire family.

At the end of the day, it tends to be more like working for a mid-size business enterprise. The amount of professional distance will depend on the specifics of the family and their business affairs. For the person I know, it was more or less as professional corporate-type job that nobody would make a TV show about without some pretty serious embellishment. I think someone who is involved like Michael Cohen is the exception.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:40 pm

I have 3 degrees of separation from someone who worked for a major family office (you’ve definitely heard of the family) at STB and subsequently went “in-house” to work for the family office full time. Apparently he now runs it, though I don’t know personally what his degree of involvement is.

Most of the elite NY firms have private clients/T&E groups too, though they’re usually small and designed to service the personal needs of business clients.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:40 pm
I have 3 degrees of separation from someone who worked for a major family office (you’ve definitely heard of the family) at STB and subsequently went “in-house” to work for the family office full time. Apparently he now runs it, though I don’t know personally what his degree of involvement is.

Most of the elite NY firms have private clients/T&E groups too, though they’re usually small and designed to service the personal needs of business clients.
What group was that person in at STB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:54 pm

I interviewed for a family office of a billionaire before withdrawing. The role was straight up being a Swiss Army knife lawyer for a wealthy family. Like they wanted to know if I was familiar with helicopter, jet and yacht leases, large vendor contracts, investment funds, trusts and estates, litigation, general criminal law (in case anyone in the family got a DUI or arrested), etc. Very interesting in the abstract and it sounded like the lawyer got the perk of using some of the families’ amenities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:54 pm
I interviewed for a family office of a billionaire before withdrawing. The role was straight up being a Swiss Army knife lawyer for a wealthy family. Like they wanted to know if I was familiar with helicopter, jet and yacht leases, large vendor contracts, investment funds, trusts and estates, litigation, general criminal law (in case anyone in the family got a DUI or arrested), etc. Very interesting in the abstract and it sounded like the lawyer got the perk of using some of the families’ amenities.
That’s sounds like a cool gig, could you give a ballpark on comp?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:54 pm
That’s sounds like a cool gig, could you give a ballpark on comp?
Think something like $250k + 25% bonus and a serious revisiting of comp after the first year to see what was appropriate in light of value added.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:34 am

I do this. Sorry to be anonymous. Most of these posts are correct. I was a T&E and private funds lawyer which was attractive to the family. I left as a 5th year and am an AGC in the family office (4 years in this role). Very much a swiss army role which is perfect for me. I would say that the work a family office is often driven by the nature of the family's operating business, if they still have one. That said, if the operating business is big enough, sometimes there is no interaction with the family office. I usually represent the family's interests if the opco is making a big decision. The work of each family office also depends on which generation the family is in. Tax or T&E is generally the best way to get in the door, then you just need to be open to anything once you're in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:34 am
I do this. Sorry to be anonymous. Most of these posts are correct. I was a T&E and private funds lawyer which was attractive to the family. I left as a 5th year and am an AGC in the family office (4 years in this role). Very much a swiss army role which is perfect for me. I would say that the work a family office is often driven by the nature of the family's operating business, if they still have one. That said, if the operating business is big enough, sometimes there is no interaction with the family office. I usually represent the family's interests if the opco is making a big decision. The work of each family office also depends on which generation the family is in. Tax or T&E is generally the best way to get in the door, then you just need to be open to anything once you're in.
Would you be willing to ballpark comp as well?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:54 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Comp is generally quite good. Always nice to get a piece of any investment funds, or some phantom shares in the operating business, both of which have become market. If not, generally they will gross up your ordinary income. I've seen that families want to be able to "treat you well" while of course not spending too much more than they would by keeping all legal work external. I was given a bump from my 5th year pay, both base and bonus, essentially putting me near the top of the big law associate scale. I was told not to expect any material changes for at least 5 years, then we'd reassess.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:54 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Comp is generally quite good. Always nice to get a piece of any investment funds, or some phantom shares in the operating business, both of which have become market. If not, generally they will gross up your ordinary income. I've seen that families want to be able to "treat you well" while of course not spending too much more than they would by keeping all legal work external. I was given a bump from my 5th year pay, both base and bonus, essentially putting me near the top of the big law associate scale. I was told not to expect any material changes for at least 5 years, then we'd reassess.
Wow, that sounds like a pretty awesome gig if you can get it!

jagpaw

New

Post by jagpaw » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for this insight. Speaking as a tax attorney who has looked into these exits, do you view T&E exposure as critical? I’ve spoken to one recruiter who suggested T&E would be a better path, but as you know transactional tax and T&E are very different departments in big law firms so it’s tough to get that exposure. Thanks in advance and happy to chat through PM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:50 am

jagpaw wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for this insight. Speaking as a tax attorney who has looked into these exits, do you view T&E exposure as critical? I’ve spoken to one recruiter who suggested T&E would be a better path, but as you know transactional tax and T&E are very different departments in big law firms so it’s tough to get that exposure. Thanks in advance and happy to chat through PM.
Hi, some T&E experience (at least understanding of transfer taxes) is critical if the legal team is small (or maybe if you're the only one) because that type of structuring and planning is core to the function of the office. I honestly think transactional tax is a better skillset in the long run, is harder to learn on the job, and if the family still has an operating company you can provide more immediate value, especially these days with quickly changing tax landscape, than T&E work which is inherently long term planning. Partnership tax experience is essential, and there's really not much difference between the partnership work done by T&E folks vs PIF folks, so I would recommend trying to get some PIF / structuring work in if possible.

jagpaw

New

Post by jagpaw » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:50 am
jagpaw wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Hi, some T&E experience (at least understanding of transfer taxes) is critical if the legal team is small (or maybe if you're the only one) because that type of structuring and planning is core to the function of the office. I honestly think transactional tax is a better skillset in the long run, is harder to learn on the job, and if the family still has an operating company you can provide more immediate value, especially these days with quickly changing tax landscape, than T&E work which is inherently long term planning. Partnership tax experience is essential, and there's really not much difference between the partnership work done by T&E folks vs PIF folks, so I would recommend trying to get some PIF / structuring work in if possible.
Thank you. I’m struggling on whether the T&E shift is worth it given the reasons you’ve mentioned, and I do quite a bit of investment fund formation work currently (assume PIF refers to private investment fund structuring?) on the tax side, though not in the trust context. Interesting to hear you say that transactional tax might be the better skill set - certainly reassuring to hear, but at least from looking on indeed/LinkedIn it does seem like T&E folks have more exit options into varying paths (e.g. wealth management companies. Banks, etc) than we pure tax folks have.

What complicates the decision is transactional tax and T&E don’t have much interaction at my firm so it might be difficult to get that exposure, so I’m wondering whether a stint in a boutique for UHNW individuals might check that box (a more predictable lifestyle vs. transactional tax might prevent burnout as well). I separately might have an opportunity to go in-house in a generalist legal role with a hedge fund so not sure if that would be a good launching pad to work with a family office also. Happy to connect over PM and thanks again for your advice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”