Seamless Budgets Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Seamless Budgets

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:53 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:23 pm
Kirkland is $40.

More importantly, someone tell me what is the highest reimbursement amount someone has submitted at Latham and been approved for under the no limit policy.
Kirkland also has weird, office-specific strings to the money (but they are rarely enforced). You are technically supposed to bill 9+ hours to be eligible in some offices including NY/Chi, and 9.5+ hours in DC/Houston. Same is true of getting reimbursed for an Uber/cab home.

If I am in the office past 7 PM I am ordering dinner and probably getting an Uber, and I have never once had it rejected - I also do not make sure that I billed enough hours. So like I said I think this is rarely enforced and the firm will process the $40 reimbursement for dinners ordered around dinner time pretty much pro forma.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:02 pm
At Ropes there's no limit, and I usually spend about $50. I also get an above market bonus. But the DPW bros get prestige, and you can't quantify that.
What's the timing for Food/Uber at Ropes, is it 8:00pm? Also has the 9hr/$45 food policy changed anything for you?

And could you shed some light on the incremental bonus comp %'s above 1900? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:32 pm

WSGR is $25, but only if you're in the office after 8 pm. lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:20 am

Any intel on Gibson Dunn?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:22 am

[/quote]

This is probably better overall, but it also potentially screws over the associate who has nothing to do until 4/5pm and then all of a sudden gets an assignment that keeps them in the office until 10/11. Would that person get dinner at Dechert?

Agreed that the Deb policy seems ridiculous. For rising 2Ls on the margins of what firm to choose, seemingly little things like this actually have a real impact on your firm experience.
[/quote]

Good Point - I'm in lit so I basically never have a schedule like that but would be pretty pissed in the scenario you described.

That being said, with the state of the lateral market for corporate (where I feel like that schedule is more realistic? just guessing) I think you could basically bill for dinner whenever you want/for as much as you want at any firm right now.

Are you really going to bitch to an associate because they spent $60 on dinner when they only billed 6 hours when chances are they're billing a ton most days, you desperately need bodies, and the associate can just bounce with a huge lateral bonus anyway?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:59 am

SRZ is $35 but moved over to giving you a credit applied to the seamless website so now you have to pay even a cent over $35 yourself. I have ordered as early as 530pm so long as I'm staying past around 730pm without issue. No billable requirement though I second guess myself if I will bill less than 5 hours that day.

They also have staff which bring the food from downstairs to your desk which is actually a huge perk I didn't know I wanted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:23 pm

Goodwin offers $20 (but for the subtotal, so any taxes, tip, delivery fees, etc. on top of that are covered) past 7:30 pm. You originally needed to be in the office for this policy but they recently changed it so you can be anywhere to accommodate remote folks and as long as you're billing 8+ hours in a given day, you can order and expense something. So for folks in essentially all corporate practices, it's essentially free dinner every night.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:23 pm
Goodwin offers $20 (but for the subtotal, so any taxes, tip, delivery fees, etc. on top of that are covered) past 7:30 pm. You originally needed to be in the office for this policy but they recently changed it so you can be anywhere to accommodate remote folks and as long as you're billing 8+ hours in a given day, you can order and expense something. So for folks in essentially all corporate practices, it's essentially free dinner every night.
I can't believe they haven't bumped this up for us yet. You can basically seamless a number 1 meal from McDonalds...

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Just a reminder that it’s not free as we have to pay taxes on all of it. It took me a while to realize that lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:00 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:23 pm
Kirkland is $40.

More importantly, someone tell me what is the highest reimbursement amount someone has submitted at Latham and been approved for under the no limit policy.
I submitted $60 and had no issue, but I did it because I was pissed at the client. I generally keep it to $35-40.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:15 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Just a reminder that it’s not free as we have to pay taxes on all of it. It took me a while to realize that lol.
Wouldn’t this be a reimbursed business expense which gets excluded from tax returns?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
At Ropes there's no limit, and I usually spend about $50. I also get an above market bonus. But the DPW bros get prestige, and you can't quantify that.
What's the timing for Food/Uber at Ropes, is it 8:00pm? Also has the 9hr/$45 food policy changed anything for you?

And could you shed some light on the incremental bonus comp %'s above 1900? Thanks!
my meals get approved and I order as early as 630 in the office sometimes. for the 45$ at home yes because I'll order my food at 5 or 6 pm as long as I know I will hit 9 hrs by end of day. And since I'm at home I can order 2 or 3 meals worth of food, eat 1 meal, and put the rest in the fridge.

As for bonuses it's lockstep your first 2 years and then we mostly pay above market. I don't think there's a rigid formula and I think reviews from your supervisors matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:10 pm

Dechert

Seamless $40 (website credit) - can order from 4pm to 11:59pm. Must have worked 9.5hrs (not necessarily bill 9.5). 4hr threshold for weekends. No need to be in the office. You can order seamless from home by hitting the thresholds above, which I think is nice (this is a recent change).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

my meals get approved and I order as early as 630 in the office sometimes. for the 45$ at home yes because I'll order my food at 5 or 6 pm as long as I know I will hit 9 hrs by end of day. And since I'm at home I can order 2 or 3 meals worth of food, eat 1 meal, and put the rest in the fridge.

As for bonuses it's lockstep your first 2 years and then we mostly pay above market. I don't think there's a rigid formula and I think reviews from your supervisors matter.
That's sweet and thanks for the info! What's the food and uber policy when you are in the office? Is it something like any time you stay past 7:00 or 8:00pm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:20 am
Any intel on Gibson Dunn?
Bump! Also gonna be at Gibson !

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I can't believe they haven't bumped this up for us yet. You can basically seamless a number 1 meal from McDonalds...
I actually don't ever use the platform they provide via Seamless. Just DoorDash/UberEats or order anything anywhere really and expense it. Agree that the limit, even with the caveat above on the subtotal, is pretty low and should be upped.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:01 am

I’m ranking every firm on Vault by the Seamless budget. $20 at Goodwin is simply outrageous and deserve to fall.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:01 am
I’m ranking every firm on Vault by the Seamless budget. $20 at Goodwin is simply outrageous and deserve to fall.
Goodwin associate here - I was unaware we even had a budget. I've been assuming the budget was $30 for months and have not once had an issue getting reimbursed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:37 pm

Does any of this depend on which market your office is in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:08 pm

I'm at Kirkland I find our $40 budget kinda oppressive. Taxes, delivery, tipping driver = takes a huge chunk. Dunno how other firms manage; having even lower budgets is crazy.

Note that Kirkland's budget pre-Great Recession was $50 (way more in today's dollars). Need to bring back those times.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:01 am
Goodwin associate here - I was unaware we even had a budget. I've been assuming the budget was $30 for months and have not once had an issue getting reimbursed.
Original Goodwin anon -- I've never had an issue getting reimbursed for more either and don't think it's an issue as long as it's reasonable. $20 is just the official policy.

(Also to be clear, the official budget is $20 without counting delivery fees, taxes and tips, all of which are covered so long as the subtotal is <=$20, which seems to be causing confusion above)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:54 pm

jotarokujo wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:48 am

Agreed that the Deb policy seems ridiculous. For rising 2Ls on the margins of what firm to choose, seemingly little things like this actually have a real impact on your firm experience.
these seems down there with "i liked the 4 people out of 500 that i met" in terms of reasons to choose a firm. all other things equal, sure choose based on this. but all other things are not going to be equal
Canary in the coal mine. What do you think the firm who tries to fuck you out of an appetizer is gonna do when it comes to your $100k bonus?

It's a tremendously stupid policy from firms. It's extremely expensive to replace your departures, people leave because they're angry, being hungry is one of the quickest ways someone gets angry, and, outside of obvious cases of abuse, it really costs them next to nothing for people to just order a regular goddamn dinner at dinnertime.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:45 pm

Anyone who pays taxes on free seamless dinners is being dumb.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:58 pm

Winston NY is $60 when working two hours past business hours (730pm). I order before then and certainly stay in office to get this. Billable, pro Bono, nonvolatile matters all eligible and never any issue. Once I saw my meal crossed out on the bill, so oftentimes the billing partner can scratch it and the form will eat it. Outside of NY I think form gives $40 or $50 - not sure.

RedNewJersey

New

Post by RedNewJersey » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:15 pm
eastcoast_iub wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:56 pm

Wouldn’t this be a reimbursed business expense which gets excluded from tax returns?
No (unless there is some IRS COVID-related exception I'm unaware of). 26 U.S.C. § 119(a) is what usually allows deducting employer-paid meals, but subsection (1) says it must be on-premises.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”