Seamless Budgets Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Seamless Budgets

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:43 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:54 pm
jotarokujo wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:48 am

Agreed that the Deb policy seems ridiculous. For rising 2Ls on the margins of what firm to choose, seemingly little things like this actually have a real impact on your firm experience.
these seems down there with "i liked the 4 people out of 500 that i met" in terms of reasons to choose a firm. all other things equal, sure choose based on this. but all other things are not going to be equal
Canary in the coal mine. What do you think the firm who tries to fuck you out of an appetizer is gonna do when it comes to your $100k bonus?

It's a tremendously stupid policy from firms. It's extremely expensive to replace your departures, people leave because they're angry, being hungry is one of the quickest ways someone gets angry, and, outside of obvious cases of abuse, it really costs them next to nothing for people to just order a regular goddamn dinner at dinnertime.
Anecdotal I know, but I’m at a firm with a 20 dollar limit, and I have had an above market bonus the last four years in a row. Last year I only billed an hour above the target.

On the flip side to this, having a $50 limit also sends a message that the firm wants you to miss dinner. Just as much a “canary in the coal mine” as it were. Which is not to say I’m arguing for lower budgets (I’m not, I’d love more), just that you can always fit an individual fact in isolation to your chosen narrative.

Anonymous User

Re: Seamless Budgets

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:00 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:23 pm
Goodwin offers $20 (but for the subtotal, so any taxes, tip, delivery fees, etc. on top of that are covered) past 7:30 pm. You originally needed to be in the office for this policy but they recently changed it so you can be anywhere to accommodate remote folks and as long as you're billing 8+ hours in a given day, you can order and expense something. So for folks in essentially all corporate practices, it's essentially free dinner every night.
Just a reminder that it’s not free as we have to pay taxes on all of it. It took me a while to realize that lol.
I'm a tax associate and this is significantly more complicated than you think. It basically boils down to the accounting philosophy of the firm as to whether they decide it is taxable income or not for the associate. I'm pretty sure we all thought it was taxed as juniors but the accounting people told us it wasn't because it was a de minimis fringe benefit or something.

Also applies to car rides home.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”