Edelson PC? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Edelson PC?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:27 pm

Extremely interested in privacy litigation and wanted to get some more info on this firm. Originally from the West Coast but have a lot of family in the Chicago area. Only other firm I know that has such a focus on privacy litigation is maybe KamberLaw but they don’t hire juniors.

Anonymous User

Re: Edelson PC?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:31 pm

They do unconventional interviews, have a "fun" office and I think a casual dress code, etc. If you've seen any of Jay Edelson's public stuff, like the notorious ATL thing on the sweatpants interview, it's just like you'd expect from that from what I've heard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:52 pm

not a big fan tbh BUT they pay well, give their juniors a ton of responsibility, and people who work there stick around and appear to love it. their hiring criteria is similar to biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:52 pm
not a big fan tbh BUT they pay well, give their juniors a ton of responsibility, and people who work there stick around and appear to love it. their hiring criteria is similar to biglaw.
With that said, if you have big law privacy options, would probably go there. Edelson is still a plaintiffs firm (lots of market "research" on who you can sue), and it does pay below market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Does anyone know more about their bonus structure? I know it's 130K flat plus bonuses, but I've never seen more info than that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:01 pm
Does anyone know more about their bonus structure? I know it's 130K flat plus bonuses, but I've never seen more info than that.
I think it's actually 150K flat as of 2016. Don't know about bonuses, but it's possible the base has gone up in 5+ years. https://abovethelaw.com/2016/06/cravath ... onus-time/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:50 am

I had two interviews with them whilst in law school (and don't work there now, so take this for what it's worth). I gathered from their public persona they're really focused on being a bit quirky and fun. Now I'm actually in biglaw, that sounds exhausting as hell, to entertain all the "fun" stuff the firm does.

That being said, during the interviews I gathered they pushed back against that representation. I, implicitly, got called "lazy" because during my interview I focused on the firm's culture and what sets it apart. From the interviewers, I gathered that apparently Edelson had to be seen as a firm where you had to work. Hard. To which I thought "well yeah, duh, it's a law firm, but isn't your whole angle that you do things slightly different than your standard law firm?" The two associates that interviewed me were laterals, so unsure if they already got axed because they didn't get with the program or if it's all just a front. In another interview, however, the story was the same: they wanted to talk about how hard work was at Edelson and nothing about how they present themselves to the public and how it was a great place to work.

So my idea is that their whole funloving, chill public persona is just a bit fake and they're just another biglaw-esque firm where a burnout is on the horizon. But they're highly regarded, so I think it could be a nice prestige-booster. But don't think they're as "fun," as they like to present themselves.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:50 am
I had two interviews with them whilst in law school (and don't work there now, so take this for what it's worth). I gathered from their public persona they're really focused on being a bit quirky and fun. Now I'm actually in biglaw, that sounds exhausting as hell, to entertain all the "fun" stuff the firm does.

That being said, during the interviews I gathered they pushed back against that representation. I, implicitly, got called "lazy" because during my interview I focused on the firm's culture and what sets it apart. From the interviewers, I gathered that apparently Edelson had to be seen as a firm where you had to work. Hard. To which I thought "well yeah, duh, it's a law firm, but isn't your whole angle that you do things slightly different than your standard law firm?" The two associates that interviewed me were laterals, so unsure if they already got axed because they didn't get with the program or if it's all just a front. In another interview, however, the story was the same: they wanted to talk about how hard work was at Edelson and nothing about how they present themselves to the public and how it was a great place to work.

So my idea is that their whole funloving, chill public persona is just a bit fake and they're just another biglaw-esque firm where a burnout is on the horizon. But they're highly regarded, so I think it could be a nice prestige-booster. But don't think they're as "fun," as they like to present themselves.
Very interesting, thanks. I think with some new leadership they're trying to present themselves as basically the same as biglaw in terms of your opportunity and compensation, with the added bonus of a better culture. So maybe their messaging is still a little internally contradictory.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:16 pm

Anyone have any insight on the massive bonuses they like to brag about?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:16 pm
Anyone have any insight on the massive bonuses they like to brag about?
I've been asking this off and on for about six months, and I can't seem to get a number with a dollar sign attached, just "lots."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:29 pm

I interviewed with these dudes in law school about 9 years ago. They were literally doing work during my screener and would keep saying "hold on one second" while replying to emails. One guy had shirt on with about 4 buttons undone, no shirt underneath and one hell of a hairy chest. I was also like top 10% of my T-14, so it wasn't like I was somebody hilariously below their cut off. It was one of the weirdest professional experiences I have had.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:29 pm
I interviewed with these dudes in law school about 9 years ago. They were literally doing work during my screener and would keep saying "hold on one second" while replying to emails. One guy had shirt on with about 4 buttons undone, no shirt underneath and one hell of a hairy chest. I was also like top 10% of my T-14, so it wasn't like I was somebody hilariously below their cut off. It was one of the weirdest professional experiences I have had.
I saw Jay Edelson at a grocery store in Chicago yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:04 pm

Genuinely just want to get a solid number on what one could expect from these “massive” bonuses

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:12 pm

Interviewed there a few years back. Most of the attorneys seemed nice and talked highly of the job. One of the senior associates kept on stroking his beard in a creepy way while talking down my credentials. Jay himself seemed very uninterested and I knew immediately I wasn’t being hired which was frustrating because he was the last half hour of a three or four hour interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:04 pm
Genuinely just want to get a solid number on what one could expect from these “massive” bonuses
Honestly, at this point I think the only rational explanation is that the bonuses are not really "massive." I've been asking for years and no one will give me a number.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:00 am

Does Edelson work crazy hours? What would be a firm in the same space that’s a cut below on the hours expectation (and on money, I guess) but still does sophisticated plaintiff consumer protection work? Cohen Milstein comes to mind, but other ideas are welcome.

MergerQueen

New

Post by MergerQueen » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:36 pm

FWIW, I hear that hiring requirements are similar to that of a V30 firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:21 pm

Does anyone know anything about their pay scale? That 150K number is like five years old.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:21 pm
Does anyone know anything about their pay scale? That 150K number is like five years old.
The last number I heard was $170k. It is definitely below Big Law market before bonuses. As mentioned, they argue their bonuses make up for that difference. However, I never heard a firm $ number on those bonuses. My understanding is that it's mostly merit based, unlike the standard Big Law bonus.

Source: someone who summered there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:00 am
Does Edelson work crazy hours? What would be a firm in the same space that’s a cut below on the hours expectation (and on money, I guess) but still does sophisticated plaintiff consumer protection work? Cohen Milstein comes to mind, but other ideas are welcome.
They seemed long, but not say "crazy." Culture seemed flexible, which likely helped that perception.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”