Biglaw Visa Policy for International Student Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw Visa Policy for International Student

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:05 pm

While 2L is summering and 1L OCI is approaching, I think it might be useful to start a thread to track firms' visa policy for international students. Some firms are friendly to international students - they promise to relocate if the international associate did not get the H1B lottery. Some firms will just fire the associate if he/she did not win the lottery.

A firm's visa policy is very important in decision-making. If you are an international student and know your firm's visa policy, please add it on the following google excel. Feel free to add the firm name if your firm is not listed on the form.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Please also feel free to comment below with your firm's visa policy.

International students help international students!

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw Visa Policy for International Student

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:22 pm

I don’t think Skadden has available a public policy, but they will relocate for H1B issues (not sure if they will if you are in litigation, but they certainly will for corporate). Also can be talked into GC sponsorships starting in third year, but are sort of hesitant.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:59 am

Thanks for filling out the form.

It would be better if you can add information about whether the firm promises to relocate if the associate did not win the H1B lottery.

Also please feel free to comment on your firm’s policy. I feel it might be more useful to post comments under this post.

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:34 am

I agree that this should be the number 1 concern of any international law student. I have met multiple people joining S&C and DPW because they are higher on Vault and then realizing that, although they sponsor H-1Bs, these firms have case-by-case GC sponsorship policies that will just generate more anxiety than anything else in your life. In my experience, these two firms are at the end of the spectrum (meaning the worst).

Then you have K&E and Weil, who sponsor H-1Bs and have a policy that they only sponsor for GC after you have been at the firm on H-1B for 4 years. I know at least 1 person from each of these firms who was in an emergency situation, needed the firm to sponsor faster, the matter was brought up with the admin leaders/vouched for by heads of practices, with the result that nothing can override this policy. Given the current timelines, 4 years is just too long. I would consider these firms to be middle-of-the-road/not the best options.

Finally, I think that the best policies for international students (H-1B sponsorships, potential relocations to other offices, very early GC sponsorships) are at the more global firms. Those I know about from personal experience/multiple friends are definitely Latham, and then a step below are Skadden, and Linklaters.

I bet there are more firms in each category, but this summarizes what I found out throughout the years. As far as other data points, I know a person that was relocated to London because he/she didn’t win the H-1B lottery, at Ropes & Gray. This was a US-centric practice so that person worked on US time zone on US matters. I hope it helps!

gontid

New

Post by gontid » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:34 am
I agree that this should be the number 1 concern of any international law student. I have met multiple people joining S&C and DPW because they are higher on Vault and then realizing that, although they sponsor H-1Bs, these firms have case-by-case GC sponsorship policies that will just generate more anxiety than anything else in your life. In my experience, these two firms are at the end of the spectrum (meaning the worst).

Then you have K&E and Weil, who sponsor H-1Bs and have a policy that they only sponsor for GC after you have been at the firm on H-1B for 4 years. I know at least 1 person from each of these firms who was in an emergency situation, needed the firm to sponsor faster, the matter was brought up with the admin leaders/vouched for by heads of practices, with the result that nothing can override this policy. Given the current timelines, 4 years is just too long. I would consider these firms to be middle-of-the-road/not the best options.

Finally, I think that the best policies for international students (H-1B sponsorships, potential relocations to other offices, very early GC sponsorships) are at the more global firms. Those I know about from personal experience/multiple friends are definitely Latham, and then a step below are Skadden, and Linklaters.

I bet there are more firms in each category, but this summarizes what I found out throughout the years. As far as other data points, I know a person that was relocated to London because he/she didn’t win the H-1B lottery, at Ropes & Gray. This was a US-centric practice so that person worked on US time zone on US matters. I hope it helps!
Wondering about the timeline at Latham. Also S&C's official policy seems to indicate that they will consider sponsoring at the beginning of the second three-year period, even though it's discretionary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:33 pm

Ugh...as someone who went through this process a couple years back, I'd warn international students to not count on H1B or GC from big law. Also, I suspect that needing H1B visa counts against an int. applicant, especially when applying for the non-V10 firms.

IT companies are much more familiar with H1B and GC sponsorship and their process is more streamlined than big law is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I am an international at DPW. This is not true. If you’re at the firm for 3 years and actually look like you’re going to stay at the firm, they will do the GC. Not really controversial.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:40 pm

gontid wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Wondering about the timeline at Latham. Also S&C's official policy seems to indicate that they will consider sponsoring at the beginning of the second three-year period, even though it's discretionary.
I can't speak for firm policies as a whole, I understand they don't have a strict policy, but as a recent (Canadian) lateral they were willing without any pushing to commit to sponsoring me for H1B in next lottery (initially coming in as TN of course) and sponsor for GC after one year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:32 am

Does anyone have experience asking for a GC sponsorship as a lateral? Is this something you can negotiate for, and if so how much experience do you need to bring to the table?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:19 am

Does anyone know the impact of new visa policy? Will the firm file H1B for first year associate as L3/L4? Does it mean everyone will get an H1B visa?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:32 am
Does anyone have experience asking for a GC sponsorship as a lateral? Is this something you can negotiate for, and if so how much experience do you need to bring to the table?
I was able to get them to commit to GC sponsorship after a year pretty easily as a lateral at Latham. I'm not even sure I asked about it, I asked about H1B (I'm normally on TN) and they volunteered the GC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:23 am

Does anyone know KE's visa policy? Will they relocate asso who didn't get H1B?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:32 am
I was able to get them to commit to GC sponsorship after a year pretty easily as a lateral at Latham. I'm not even sure I asked about it, I asked about H1B (I'm normally on TN) and they volunteered the GC.
I know a couple of laterals who specifically asked and Latham sponsored for GC immediately (not after 1 year).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:47 pm

Thank you so much for this! Saved my life

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:22 pm

Can someone explain the 3l lottery for non stems? I asked about this at my school but no one knew.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:03 pm

Agreed. This is the most helpful spreadsheet I've seen on this stuff, especially the GC policies.

For anyone who has lateraled and successfully negotiated for the firm to apply for a GC for them, what year were you? I'm trying to figure out if I have any leverage with my current firm to try to get them to commit to a GC application earlier than their normal policy (one of the firms listed in the spreadsheet).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:03 pm
For anyone who has lateraled and successfully negotiated for the firm to apply for a GC for them, what year were you? I'm trying to figure out if I have any leverage with my current firm to try to get them to commit to a GC application earlier than their normal policy (one of the firms listed in the spreadsheet).
Also interested in this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

confitdecanard

New

Post by confitdecanard » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:22 pm
Can someone explain the 3l lottery for non stems? I asked about this at my school but no one knew.
The firm can put your name in the lottery in March of your 3L year. You only need to have the degree when filing, not when entering the lottery, so 3Ls can do it as long as you have the degree by the end of June that year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:56 pm

Thanks a lot. Just curious, but is there a reason a firm wouldn't do this? It seems like both sides win if the candidate who summered stays. What's the deal with some firms okaying this and some not?

confitdecanard

New

Post by confitdecanard » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:56 pm
Thanks a lot. Just curious, but is there a reason a firm wouldn't do this? It seems like both sides win if the candidate who summered stays. What's the deal with some firms okaying this and some not?
USCIS changed the filing/lottery entrance sequence only two(?) years ago I believe. It used to be that you needed to have the entire packet filed by April. It's easier now with the new system. From the spreadsheet it looks like most firms allow it these days. Not sure how it was before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:40 pm

Latham is really good about this stuff. They routinely send people whose H1B lottery didn't go well to the London / Hong Kong / Singapore office for a year until the H1B comes through and they sponsor you for a green card starting your third year so long as you're in good standing (as far as I can tell that just means you're not about to get fired so it's basically guaranteed).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:34 pm

Fellow international students, what has your track record with direct applying been like? Totally anecdotal, but I have not had a good return with direct applying which almost always asks about visa needs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:34 pm
Fellow international students, what has your track record with direct applying been like? Totally anecdotal, but I have not had a good return with direct applying which almost always asks about visa needs.
Direct applying is always hard compared to OCI. I feel there is no more difficulty for international students in direct applying. I seldom got asked about visa needs regardless of direct applying or bidding through OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 am

Up.

Anyone knows Sidley Austin?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:22 pm

In a previous thread, someone mentioned that Cleary has a "generous" greencard policy -- does anybody know any specifics?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”