Biglaw Visa Policy for International Student Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw Visa Policy for International Student

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:02 pm

Can anyone confirm that US JDs who are in overseas office for visa reasons don't get COLA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:02 pm
Can anyone confirm that US JDs who are in overseas office for visa reasons don't get COLA?
Bump!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump!
almost certainly varies by firm and can maybe even be negotiated at an individual level so I'd ask people you know at X Firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:29 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:11 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump!
almost certainly varies by firm and can maybe even be negotiated at an individual level so I'd ask people you know at X Firm
Thank you. Trying to identify and reach out to those folks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:44 pm

We need an update on this.

I would love it if someone could comment more on Covington's policy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soleilhawk

New

Post by soleilhawk » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:14 pm

I saw in the visa/gc policy document on Gibson's website that they do sponsor GC on a case-by-case scenario after your second year. Does the Google sheet need update? Or is what they say simply not true?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:59 pm

Weil will relocate you to an overseas office for visa issues, but don't expect COLA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:59 pm
Weil will relocate you to an overseas office for visa issues, but don't expect COLA.
Did you hear this from Weil's HR?

GoBigOrGoHome88

New

Do Canadians actually need a visa?

Post by GoBigOrGoHome88 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:52 am

As a Canadian it isn’t clear to me whether I check off that I need a visa sponsorship when applying. I hate doing this because I feel like it reduces my chances at getting a job.

I need a J1 for a summer position and just need a form DS-2019 that I show up to the border with. It seems like I can just pay intrax for that after getting the offer.

When done school, I just need to show up at the border for a TN visa. So don’t necessarily need visa sponsorship.

What have you fellow Canadians done?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Re: Do Canadians actually need a visa?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:04 pm

GoBigOrGoHome88 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:52 am
As a Canadian it isn’t clear to me whether I check off that I need a visa sponsorship when applying. I hate doing this because I feel like it reduces my chances at getting a job.

I need a J1 for a summer position and just need a form DS-2019 that I show up to the border with. It seems like I can just pay intrax for that after getting the offer.

When done school, I just need to show up at the border for a TN visa. So don’t necessarily need visa sponsorship.

I did not check off the box. However, most firms will apply for the H1B after you receive and accept an offer if you request for it. That's what I did (although I haven't won one yet). However, I also made it perfectly clear that I was willing to work under a TN, so I wasn't lying when I indicated that I didn't need visa sponsorship when I was applying.

I did go to an American school and got my job through the OCI process. Maybe your considerations would be different.

njdevils2626

Silver

Re: Do Canadians actually need a visa?

Post by njdevils2626 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:02 am

GoBigOrGoHome88 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:52 am

The firm still needs to put in an application and go through certain procedures, including letters regarding your qualifications and their reasons for hiring you and you need to bring all that with you to the border. They are sponsoring you for the TN. Up to you whether or not you check the box on your application, there's nothing that will be needed for the summer and you can talk to them about the process at that time since it's very easy and predictable, but in my opinion (and as someone who went through it myself) the correct answer to that question is yes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:54 pm

Do we have any info on DPW's policy on L visa or how many lotteries the firm will do after relocating away?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:59 am

DPW told me they prefer h1b to L.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:59 am
Of course they do - all firms want an option on you without needing to make a commitment, while also not wanting you to be too free to leave. (Plus their immigration law firms prefer H1Bs because it means at least one more round of application fees in three years if you're still there.) Push for the L1 if you can - means you can come back and get a green card much more easily if you want it. And if you can move away from relying on your firm for immigration/residence - especially a firm like DPW/STB/Cravath/Cleary/S&C - all the better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
That's very helpful! Then it probably means the door on L is not completely closed. Given the prediction on H1B this year, I'm barely keeping a nominal hope on getting the lottery.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Of course they do - all firms want an option on you without needing to make a commitment, while also not wanting you to be too free to leave. (Plus their immigration law firms prefer H1Bs because it means at least one more round of application fees in three years if you're still there.) Push for the L1 if you can - means you can come back and get a green card much more easily if you want it. And if you can move away from relying on your firm for immigration/residence - especially a firm like DPW/STB/Cravath/Cleary/S&C - all the better.
I ended up accepting Kirkland instead. They do an L1b in a year if you don’t get the h1b. So you’re more likely to be back in the US after a year. L1b to eb1 is doable although not as straightforward as L1a to eb1. Also, you can’t change employers when on l1. Not saying h1b is better than l1, just sharing facts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:20 pm

Has anyone relocated to a foreign market and moved back to the states?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:29 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I ended up accepting Kirkland instead. They do an L1b in a year if you don’t get the h1b. So you’re more likely to be back in the US after a year. L1b to eb1 is doable although not as straightforward as L1a to eb1. Also, you can’t change employers when on l1. Not saying h1b is better than l1, just sharing facts.
Do you know if Kirkland’s relocations & L1 is almost an automatic thing or do you have to fight & pray for it? Are they still doing it this year under this market? Goodwin allegedly let go all first years who did not win the lottery which is freaking scary. At the meantime have lost hope for winning the lottery looking at the slimmer and slimmer chances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you know if Kirkland’s relocations & L1 is almost an automatic thing or do you have to fight & pray for it? Are they still doing it this year under this market? Goodwin allegedly let go all first years who did not win the lottery which is freaking scary. At the meantime have lost hope for winning the lottery looking at the slimmer and slimmer chances.
I'm also curious about this. I'm just finishing up 3L and will be starting at Kirkland. Not sure whether I got my H1B this time around (should know in the next few days), but seems doubtful. I have about a year of OPT, but what should I expect after that? Are they still generous to internationals?

Durant123

New

Post by Durant123 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:20 pm
Has anyone relocated to a foreign market and moved back to the states?
Yes. Sent to London cap markets (18 months). Came back on L1. Married American gf, now green card holder. Back then firm had blanket L status, was told no longer the case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm also curious about this. I'm just finishing up 3L and will be starting at Kirkland. Not sure whether I got my H1B this time around (should know in the next few days), but seems doubtful. I have about a year of OPT, but what should I expect after that? Are they still generous to internationals?

I wouldn't plan on more than a year at Kirkland with what's going on now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:33 am

Can confirm Kirkland is not transferring folks who didn’t get the h1b to overseas offices this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:32 am

FWIW Latham is transferring those who didn’t get H1Bs to overseas offices this year (personally know more than 1).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:30 am

Is the above post about Kirkland not transferring people to their foreign offices confirmed? That is truly shocking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:31 am

That’s what I wrote above. News about Kirkland is confirmed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”