What practice areas are expected to become seriously in demand in the near future? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Anonymous User

Re: What practice areas are expected to become seriously in demand in the near future?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:08 am
Title says it all.
Also interested. Any insight on demand in litigation?

jotarokujo

Bronze

Re: What practice areas are expected to become seriously in demand in the near future?

Post by jotarokujo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Title says it all.
broadly speaking, litigation is countercyclical. it doesn't go up like corporate during a boom, but doesn't go down or even goes up during a recession

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Title says it all.
Litigation has generally faded a bit as far as biglaw revenue earners are concerned. Companies are increasingly willing to pay 7 figure legal fees on an 9 figure transaction, but they aren't willing to pay 7 figure legal fees on a 7 or 8 figure dispute. And there aren't nearly as many 9+ figure disputes as there are 9 figure transactions. Increased automation in discovery has stopped the mass doc review gravy train to a large extent.

That said, legal disputes will exist as long as there is a legal system. As trials become more rare in large corporate matters, those who actually know their way around a courtroom but can plausibly handle a complex commercial dispute will be in high demand. There are more and more biglaw litigation partners out there that have never handled a real trial.

dyemond

Bronze

Post by dyemond » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:48 pm

As a non-tax lawyer, if I could do it all over again I'd do tax, doesn't matter where the economy is, you need solid tax lawyers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:12 pm

Anything regulatory is always a solid bet since the federal government is not going anywhere.

Space and weed are two areas that seem emerging, although the former is a little speculative.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:18 pm

dyemond wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:48 pm
As a non-tax lawyer, if I could do it all over again I'd do tax, doesn't matter where the economy is, you need solid tax lawyers.
As a tax lawyer, I'm a bit more ambivalent about that statement. Biglaw tax is mostly about deal work. There's some planning that is purely internal (no underlying deal), and some controversy, but it's the deal work that really brings home the bacon. That's just a cyclical as corporate. On the other hand, firms tend to hang onto their tax folks more readily as their specialized expertise is harder to replace, and their high billing rates mean they can be profitable even with lower billables.

dyemond

Bronze

Post by dyemond » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:08 pm

nealric wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:18 pm
dyemond wrote:
As a tax lawyer, I'm a bit more ambivalent about that statement. Biglaw tax is mostly about deal work. There's some planning that is purely internal (no underlying deal), and some controversy, but it's the deal work that really brings home the bacon. That's just a cyclical as corporate. On the other hand, firms tend to hang onto their tax folks more readily as their specialized expertise is harder to replace, and their high billing rates mean they can be profitable even with lower billables.
Yep, I don't disagree with that in a vacuum--I am thinking of the shops with top-tier BK/distressed depts that heat up during the countercycle, when the tax teams are just in demand then to walk through all the angles of the BK plan. If you're at certain shops whose corporate practices are just limited to pubco/strategic M&A, then yeah, your tax teams will slow down during the other side of the cycle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:34 pm

Exec comp. Even in downtimes, companies need to pay their employees or figure out creative ways to restructure existing comp arrangements. For transactions, boom is more M&A and offerings and recessions bring more bankruptcies. Either way, there is always something to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

giganto67

New

Post by giganto67 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:21 pm

With renewables becoming a bigger deal would project finance be seen as a growing area?

diglaw

New

Post by diglaw » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:56 pm

giganto67 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:21 pm
With renewables becoming a bigger deal would project finance be seen as a growing area?
I would imagine so, yes. Anything related to renewables/sustainability is here to stay/grow

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:58 am

dyemond wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:08 pm
nealric wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:18 pm
dyemond wrote:
Yep, I don't disagree with that in a vacuum--I am thinking of the shops with top-tier BK/distressed depts that heat up during the countercycle, when the tax teams are just in demand then to walk through all the angles of the BK plan. If you're at certain shops whose corporate practices are just limited to pubco/strategic M&A, then yeah, your tax teams will slow down during the other side of the cycle.
Even if you have a big BK shop, few firms have a BK side that rivals the corporate side in scale. My old firm had a decent BK shop, but things were still slow in tax back in 2009-10.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”