Chances at big law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chances at big law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:22 pm

I am currently at WUSTL above median but below top third. Is there any realistic shot of big law?

Anonymous User

Re: Chances at big law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:56 pm

Do you have any connections to STL? What market do you want? NYC is possible but not guaranteed. Apply to every single firm in NYC and spam out apps to everyone at OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:22 pm
I am currently at WUSTL above median but below top third. Is there any realistic shot of big law?
Apply to every V100 firm in New York in reverse order (i.e., starting from V100). Express interest in transactional work. Absolutely do not seek lit.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I was in your shoes after 1L and it is possible, but you'll have to work for it. For what it's worth, I had about 10 interviews through OCI but wasn't able to get an offer. Worked at a small local firm my 2L summer, but significantly improved my grades as a 2L and landed big law as a 3L. Wouldn't necessarily recommend my path, and I believe others in similar situations landed big law as a 2L, but best approach right now will be to spray and pray.

ChickenSalad

New

Post by ChickenSalad » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Being in the middle third of the class doesn't really mean a whole lot. I'd focus on large and medium sized firms in St Louis and the region. I guess it can't hurt to throw some applications at NY but you don't really have a leg up on other applicants based on grades or your law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:00 pm

This is a lot more gloom and doom than what I've seen during my time at WashU. Are you in the best position, no, but you're also not in a bad one. What market are you targeting? NYC is definitely possible and so is Chi and the TX markets, DC is going to be tough and nobody from WashU should ever feel like Cali is a for sure thing. Start sending apps out now and also start connecting with alums at firms you're interested in!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”