Is the corp market still hot for WLRK/S&C/CSM? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is the corp market still hot for WLRK/S&C/CSM?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:05 am

I have seen posts by people saying associates are hemorrhaging like crazy at firms like Kirkland et al. but never hear from associates at these firms? That can't be right surely? Is it because they have more generalist practices?

I get some firms are busier than others but come on, has to be the same with these firms too.

Genuinely curious lol.

Anonymous User

Re: Is the corp market still hot for WLRK/S&C/CSM?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:05 am
I have seen posts by people saying associates are hemorrhaging like crazy at firms like Kirkland et al. but never hear from associates at these firms? That can't be right surely? Is it because they have more generalist practices?

I get some firms are busier than others but come on, has to be the same with these firms too.

Genuinely curious lol.
No I think it's more that Kirkland attorneys are more likely to post here. You can guess as to why that is

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:13 am

I can confirm that CSM and S&C are very busy and have also been having retention issues. More anecdotally, I heard that WLRK has been offering very significant retention bonuses due to attrition but I heard that 3rd hand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:13 am
I can confirm that CSM and S&C are very busy and have also been having retention issues. More anecdotally, I heard that WLRK has been offering very significant retention bonuses due to attrition but I heard that 3rd hand.
Sorry to highjack the thread, but any idea how their lit groups are doing?

Joachim2017

Bronze

Post by Joachim2017 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 am

I wonder how much of this "hemorrhaging" rhetoric is overblown. There aren't THAT many in-house or GC or other jobs available that SO many lawyers can be fleeing towards. Where are all these people leaving all these places going?

My guess is that the burnout/exodus is worse at some places than others, and is also not as bad as these boards make it seem. (That doesn't mean it's worse than it's been in the past, of course).

If so, it would be interesting if there's a pattern to where the burnout is worst and where it's not as bad. Presumably places like Cravath, WLRK, and S&C have a longer, stronger culture and a more thoughtful approach to how to handle associate peaks and valleys, and so can better manage trends. But maybe not. It's a conjecture.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:07 am

I'm a sixth year (not corp). I didn't have loans (I know, fortunate) and now have just cleared a million in savings. For the first time, I've toyed in my head with just leaving law entirely.

I'm not actually going to do that, but even just the thought would not have occurred to me a couple years ago. It's possible some people are doing that. Biglaw has been so lucrative for midlevels these past few years that some might just be buying their freedom, finally.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:24 am

Joachim2017 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 am
Presumably places like Cravath, WLRK, and S&C have a longer, stronger culture and a more thoughtful approach to how to handle associate peaks and valleys, and so can better manage trends.
lol what? This is first time I'm hearing about this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to highjack the thread, but any idea how their lit groups are doing?
Lit summer at CSM/S&C and it's v busy - tons of client advisory work and a few big lit matters going on seem to have people with enough work. Corporate is a whole nother level tho.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I am hearing the same re WLRK retention bonuses.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:47 am

Joachim2017 wrote:
I wonder how much of this "hemorrhaging" rhetoric is overblown. There aren't THAT many in-house or GC or other jobs available that SO many lawyers can be fleeing towards. Where are all these people leaving all these places going?

My guess is that the burnout/exodus is worse at some places than others, and is also not as bad as these boards make it seem. (That doesn't mean it's worse than it's been in the past, of course).

If so, it would be interesting if there's a pattern to where the burnout is worst and where it's not as bad. Presumably places like Cravath, WLRK, and S&C have a longer, stronger culture and a more thoughtful approach to how to handle associate peaks and valleys, and so can better manage trends. But maybe not. It's a conjecture.
they're also going to government and PI

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I am hearing the same re WLRK retention bonuses.
My V10 just took on a WLRK and Cravath lateral, and we are one of the firms frequently mentioned in "hemorrhaging" conversations, so things can't be all peachy up at the tippy top either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:34 pm

Wait, these super lockstep-y firms are paying individualized retention bonuses??

On the hand, like duh, yes, it’s clearly the smart move. On the other hand, seems like a major violation of the lockstep philosophy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:24 am
Joachim2017 wrote:
Presumably places like Cravath, WLRK, and S&C have a longer, stronger culture and a more thoughtful approach to how to handle associate peaks and valleys, and so can better manage trends.
lol what? This is first time I'm hearing about this.
same. what's the basis for this? (bolded)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:02 pm

Joachim2017 wrote:

did you mean to type this or did u have a stroke?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:46 pm

Joachim2017 wrote:

Anecdotal, I know, but my V5 office corp group never had retention issues in the past and had a pretty good retention rate for biglaw, but this year alone we've lost I think 7 associates so far. And it's a not a big group. The last year really fucked with people and they are almost all fleeing in house. Some are relocating, some are not, and some got remote jobs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:46 pm
Joachim2017 wrote:

Anecdotal, I know, but my V5 office corp group never had retention issues in the past and had a pretty good retention rate for biglaw, but this year alone we've lost I think 7 associates so far. And it's a not a big group. The last year really fucked with people and they are almost all fleeing in house. Some are relocating, some are not, and some got remote jobs.
We've lost a ton of corporate associates at my V7 as well, and I haven't seen any corporate laterals in the past few months to make up for the lost bodies. Everyone's getting wrecked with work and a lot are getting ready to dip as soon as their EOY bonuses hit their accounts (including me). If the firm doesn't have a contingency plan in place to deal with the January exodus, it's not gonna be good for the remaining associates (which in turn will lead to more exits).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Joachim2017 wrote:

We've lost a ton of corporate associates at my V7 as well, and I haven't seen any corporate laterals in the past few months to make up for the lost bodies. Everyone's getting wrecked with work and a lot are getting ready to dip as soon as their EOY bonuses hit their accounts (including me). If the firm doesn't have a contingency plan in place to deal with the January exodus, it's not gonna be good for the remaining associates (which in turn will lead to more exits).
Same anon - we've hired a few laterals, but they're juniors...not really helpful for the remaining midlevels and seniors because that is who is leaving.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Supercafe

New

Post by Supercafe » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Joachim2017 wrote:

We've lost a ton of corporate associates at my V7 as well,
wtf is a V7

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:43 pm

Supercafe wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Joachim2017 wrote:

wtf is a V7
Davis Polk I assume… you guys can just say New York based V10 and everyone will get the idea

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Same anon - we've hired a few laterals, but they're juniors...not really helpful for the remaining midlevels and seniors because that is who is leaving.
It's the circle of life - especially at these pay rates. As second and third years we were told that whenever someone senior to us left, we were getting a promotion on any deals we were on with them. I can't imagine firms want to add more $300k+ costs to their bottom line for the next three years if they think someone at 240k can do the same work. And if you lateral beyond about fourth/fifth year into many V10 firms, you risk being next on the chopping block when things slow down again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:44 am

At Latham - I do not know how it is possible but in a personal conversation with one of our staffing coordinators I was told that somehow we have higher retention than usual in the past year. I’m sure if you isolate transactional groups this might not be the case but I still thought that was extremely surprising to hear.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Joachim2017

Bronze

Post by Joachim2017 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:43 pm
Supercafe wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Joachim2017 wrote:

wtf is a V7
Davis Polk I assume… you guys can just say New York based V10 and everyone will get the idea

Uh, this is weird. I never wrote the above that says it quotes me. I assume one of these anons botched the quote function somewhere. Anyway, if I were at DPW, I'd say "V5" whatever the latest Vault rankings might be because I know it is a top 5 Big Law firm, whatever 2Ls or brave anons here might write. (I don't even think that's controversial, to be honest...)

Joachim2017

Bronze

Post by Joachim2017 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:14 pm

^^ It looks like TLS has a bug somewhere in the quote tool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”