2L SA interested in 3L recruiting Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L SA interested in 3L recruiting

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:31 pm

I'm 2L summer-ing at a firm but I'm interested in 3L recruiting at the end of this summer.

How feasible is this? Would appreciate stories about you or someone you know who went through this - successful or not.
Are 3L interviews different than 2L interviews? Do employers emphasize 2L grades?
Do people ever accept their return offers, then renege later after 3L recruiting?

Anonymous User

Re: 2L SA interested in 3L recruiting

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:44 pm

A few pieces of advice - it was definitely feasible this past year with the crazy NY market, but I can only speak to that year.

-- Target a specific group and explain how your internship/course experience relates to it.
-- Talk to associates/partners at the firm. Not all 3L positions are listed publicly.
-- There's conflicting advice out there about how much recruiters talk, but be careful with untargeted mass mailing if you already have a post-grad offer in the same city you're targeting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:31 pm
I'm 2L summer-ing at a firm but I'm interested in 3L recruiting at the end of this summer.

How feasible is this? Would appreciate stories about you or someone you know who went through this - successful or not.
Are 3L interviews different than 2L interviews? Do employers emphasize 2L grades?
Do people ever accept their return offers, then renege later after 3L recruiting?
I think you should take the bird in hand and then consider reneging down the road if a better opportunity shows up. Definitely do not turn down the FT offer without another position lined up. Last fall there were very few 3L OCIs, but there were a ton this spring, particularly in corporate. FWIW, I reneged on my summer firm about a month before graduation. Old firm wasn't happy, but ultimately there was no issue. Also, I had the blessing of my career services office b/c I wanted to switch practice groups and/or location.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:43 am

Similar question to OP - How big of a deal is it to accept the offer and then try to apply at a different firm during 3L? I'm overall not that happy with the firm I'm at now in the summer, and I would like to apply to a couple of other firms that specialize in the work I'm interested in doing.

Obviously, I would be burning my bridge with my current firm, but otherwise are there any consequences?
Also, should I not apply to more than one firm at a time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”