OCI Strategy Given Familial Uncertainity Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLS1234321

New

OCI Strategy Given Familial Uncertainity

Post by TLS1234321 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:19 am

Trying to figure out how to approach OCI. I am undecided on lit v. Corporate. I'm at one of UVA/UM/Duke and in top 10% of class, so should have lots of options. My husband will finish med school and be placed a few years after I graduate. At that time, he will want to take whatever job he can get and we could end up anywhere in the country. Does anyone have any tips on planning for an eventual lateral? Clerking could be an option, but I think I would actually really like deal work. Looking for information on how to think about prepping for a lateral in my 1-3 year at a firm. Should I just shoot for the "best" NYC firm I can grab? We're committed to doing some distance

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Re: OCI Strategy Given Familial Uncertainity

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:02 am

A few years seems like a decent amount of time to build a resume before you lateral to another market or build a good enough reputation to switch offices if necessary so go with whatever you think is best or wherever you want to end up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:28 am

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:02 am
A few years seems like a decent amount of time to build a resume before you lateral to another market or build a good enough reputation to switch offices if necessary so go with whatever you think is best or wherever you want to end up.
Yeah if you're not diehard lit and think deal work might be interesting, I'd say that corporate is probably the option that will bring more flexibility given how hot it is and how broadly it can be applied. Go to any market people give a crap about (NYC/DC/Chicago/Texas/SF/LA/etc) and build up some skills/resume line at a respectable firm. When the time comes to relocate somewhere random for his doctoring, that should hopefully give you the best generalized and desirable profile to lateral.

TLS1234321

New

Post by TLS1234321 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:48 am

Thank you all. Definitely not diehard lit, which makes me think that transactional is the way to go. Will hopefully get to see more when I summer.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:31 pm

You should do what you think you'll have a passion for. But is your significant other guaranteed to be placed in a big city? Transactional will obviously be valuable in any big city. But lit is going to be existent everywhere. I'm not sure transactional is. (Of course, maybe if your big firm likes you enough, they'd let you work remotely. I don't know.) But yeah, I would still recommend doing what you think you'll enjoy. Just food for thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:52 pm

Anon because I am recognizable. I was in a similar situation and we just made a decision for me to take the best option I had (no long-distance while my spouse finished school) and reassess when the time came. A question to consider is whether your spouse will do a residency before a permanent placement. If the residency is short, then clerking could be a good idea and you can reduce the number of additional bar exams.

Has your spouse done research into residency placements? (Mine made it clear he wanted to be in the same state so I wouldn't need to be re-barred. Some phone calls were made but ultimately we ended up in a big city where I could keep my biglaw job.)

NYto202.5

New

Post by NYto202.5 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:18 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:31 pm
You should do what you think you'll have a passion for. But is your significant other guaranteed to be placed in a big city? Transactional will obviously be valuable in any big city. But lit is going to be existent everywhere. I'm not sure transactional is. (Of course, maybe if your big firm likes you enough, they'd let you work remotely. I don't know.) But yeah, I would still recommend doing what you think you'll enjoy. Just food for thought.
This is idiotic. There is transactional work everywhere - including small cities, big towns, et cetera. Just like lit, the smaller the setting, the less significant (and less lucrative) the work. I have a friend who recently had to move from a major market to a small city in the Midwest for family reasons. He was doing public company M&A a year or two ago, and now he is helping a local fruit and vegetable distributor buy the assets of a competitor for $200,000, but it's all transactional work.

OP should start in a major market with a well known firm - ideally one that has national name recognition. It's much, much easier to go from big to small than small to big.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:31 pm

NYto202.5 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:18 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:31 pm
This is idiotic. There is transactional work everywhere - including small cities, big towns, et cetera. Just like lit, the smaller the setting, the less significant (and less lucrative) the work. I have a friend who recently had to move from a major market to a small city in the Midwest for family reasons. He was doing public company M&A a year or two ago, and now he is helping a local fruit and vegetable distributor buy the assets of a competitor for $200,000, but it's all transactional work.

OP should start in a major market with a well known firm - ideally one that has national name recognition. It's much, much easier to go from big to small than small to big.
Okay, I'll take your word for it that there are plenty of transactional jobs available outside of major markets. No reason to be insulting, bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”