Deleted Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Deleted

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2021 10:39 pm

Mods, would appreciate it if you deleted this. Thanks everyone for their replies.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat May 15, 2021 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Silver

Re: I accepted an offer without doing enough research. Just found out there was a mass defection last year.

Post by 2013 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:31 pm

Take a deep breath and exhale.

You clearly don’t want to be at your public sector gig, and this job seems like a good opportunity to at least break into private practice.

The firm may have jumped the gun during covid last year, when a lot of firms started trimming fat in order to survive.

Worst case scenario, you have to start looking again sooner rather than later. The alternative would’ve been staying at a job you couldn’t really stay at.

nixy

Gold

Re: I accepted an offer without doing enough research. Just found out there was a mass defection last year.

Post by nixy » Sat May 15, 2021 1:12 am

I think small firms can reconfigure themselves for all kinds of reasons, often personality driven. There could have been internal conflict (rather than just finances), and splitting up solved the conflict/eliminated any toxicity in the culture if those who remain are simpatico. It’s also entirely possible that the people who left to start their own firm wanted more control than they had at this firm, and/or wanted to take the practice in a different direction, but that doesn’t mean that you will be miserable.

In any case, I agree with the comment above that it sounds like you couldn’t stay at your current gig. This one will give you the chance to make some money and will give you private sector experience to help get you better options in the future. I also think that coming in new gives you some breathing room - even if it ultimately turns out to be a disaster (which is not at all inevitable), it will take a little time to get you integrated into everything and for problems to develop (if they do). So even if it doesn’t end up being the last job you ever take (which was pretty unlikely from the start), it doesn’t mean it won’t help you advance in your career.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat May 15, 2021 1:38 am

At this point, it's too late to go backwards. Gotta move forwards. I wouldn't sweat it. Give it a chance. You might end up liking it. If not, you can always figure out your next steps. It's a lot easier to do that with a job than without one.

Iowahawk

Bronze

Post by Iowahawk » Sat May 15, 2021 2:34 am

+1 to small firms breaking up for lots of reasons. And the nature of the beast is that any departure will be proportionally bigger. As long as they still have work for you, and good attorneys you want to work with, I don't think recent departures are necessarily a red flag. And tbh I doubt a reputable small firm in dire financial straits would be hiring associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 15, 2021 11:16 am

Thanks everyone. I think I've just been on such high alert at my current job that I panicked too quickly. Will delete post due to potentially identifying info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”