Explaining a Gap in Resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Explaining a Gap in Resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2021 1:41 pm

Midlevel biglaw lit associate here. I got the talk this week after about a year at this firm. The severance is only a few months. I was just burnt out, disengaged, and began cruising while aimlessly planning for an exit into government and inhouse gigs. I thought I was doing just enough to stay under the radar but the firm apparently took notice. I can probably snag another biglaw/midlaw gig quickly but I honestly do not want to go back to a firm. This puts me in a precarious situation where after my severance runs out, I might be still looking for that inhouse/govt gig. Assuming the firm doesn't extend my website time, is having a gap a death sentence in the current market? I would think companies and governments would not be too critical considering it's a career pivot as opposed to applying to another firm with a gap in employment, which I can see might be a red flag.

Return to “Legal Employment”