Told to leave - how & when to ask for more time Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Told to leave - how & when to ask for more time

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2021 1:39 pm

Hi - I'm a midlevel big law associate and was told at my last review that I should look for another job. (the reason was that i'm not passionate enough about it, or some BS, while also saying that I was capable of some of the best work product they'd seen from an associate. my hours were also very low this year.)

they gave a very vague timeline at that time, but more recently gave a date (now about a month away). I'm putting a lot of time and effort into applying, networking, etc. but am changing into a different practice area and also moving to a different state, where my long-term girlfriend took a job several months before I got the talk. I'm getting a few interviews, but the process is moving very slowly and I'm worried I won't be able to land something within a month.

Any advice for how to ask for more time and when to do so? Does it make sense to ask now or wait until closer to the deadline? I'm experiencing pretty extreme anxiety and trouble sleeping, focusing, etc. and i really think if i had another month or so, I'd be able to find something that I would like, rather than feeling like i need to take whatever job i can find in order to avoid completely ruining my career.

Also, I'm still getting a decent amount of work...nothing crazy by big law standards, but getting substantive assignments from cases that I've been on for a long time (including from the person who gave me the scathing review...who has given me only glowing feedback on everything I've done for them and has told me they're giving me certain assignments bc i'm such a good writer and will do a good job...). While I'm not drowning in work, it is taking up some chunk of my time and focus (and is also rather infuriating and confusing). Is this something I should bring up that might help get more time? or would it sound like i expected to be paid a big law salary to do nothing for months at a time?

Thanks so much for any insight that anyone can provide. Please no harsh criticisms or rude comments - I realize that I'm in a fortunate place all things considered but am feeling pretty crushed by the past year and really just need some advice. thanks!!

papermateflair

Bronze

Re: Told to leave - how & when to ask for more time

Post by papermateflair » Thu May 13, 2021 2:03 pm

If you're a month out, I think now is the time to talk to whoever it is that gave you the talk and let them know that you have a few interviews lined up but the process is moving pretty slowly (through no fault of your own) and you will need some extra time. Don't wait until like, the week before (I'm surprised they haven't wanted an update on your search throughout this time). I've seen associates switch to "contract" work for the firm and keep their associate title when their job search takes longer than expected, and I've also seen firms just straight up give extra time (and also...folks get no extra time). It usually depends on the person and what's going on/what the associate asks for/how "nice" the partners involved are. At the very least get them to agree to keep you on the website and provide the references you need to land a new job regardless of how long that takes. I'm not sure the best way to negotiate it - if it's just asking what your options are to make sure you have time to land one of the new jobs you're interviewing for, and seeing what they say, or if it's better to just straight up ask for the extra time or what, but maybe others here will have advice on that.

Edit to add: I'm sorry this is happening, that's super rough. I've seen this happen to a bunch of my peers and they've all bounced back just fine, and I know that may be hard to see right now, but focus on taking care of yourself and doing the things within your control. I'm confident you're going to land something great!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2021 2:20 pm

papermateflair wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:03 pm
Edit to add: I'm sorry this is happening, that's super rough. I've seen this happen to a bunch of my peers and they've all bounced back just fine, and I know that may be hard to see right now, but focus on taking care of yourself and doing the things within your control. I'm confident you're going to land something great!
Sorry to go a bit off topic, but how often does this happen? As a new associate stuff like this is terrifying.

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Thu May 13, 2021 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:20 pm
papermateflair wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:03 pm
Sorry to go a bit off topic, but how often does this happen? As a new associate stuff like this is terrifying.
Oh no, sorry to make you panic! Don't. It happened a lot at my old firm, but purely for economic reasons - lost a big client, then the entire group had to slowly get rid of associates who didn't have enough work, but obviously the partners would never have admitted that it was anything except the fault of associates, so it was more of a slow drip out over a couple of years. But I'm also pretty senior so I've seen associates come and go across my two firms for various reasons, not just getting pushed out. I think more than half of the associates I've known who have left leave because they just don't want to work in big law any more, but obviously unless someone tells you they were pushed out you can never know for sure. Often mid-levels leave when they can see they aren't going to get promoted two or three years down the line, so they get proactive about making sure they end up in a place that has a future for them, and I think that type of lateral move is way more common than someone actually sitting you down and telling you you have three months to find a new job. It also really depends on your group and how easily replaced you are, and what the economics look like at your firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2021 5:07 pm

papermateflair wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:09 pm
but obviously the partners would never have admitted that it was anything except the fault of associates
This is the worst aspect of it, the gaslighting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”