Need Help Deciding Between Offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bigboybob

New

Need Help Deciding Between Offers

Post by bigboybob » Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 pm

Background: Associate at V20, T14, Clerkship and LR.

Problem: Deciding Between Offers or Staying with Current Firm

Twist: Can't Decide Between Corporate or Litigation (Maybe Both are Just Terrible?)

Story: So basically I am trying to decide between several offers and staying with my current firm. At my current firm, I am a litigation associate. At these other firms, I would be a corporate associate. I have a mild interest in the work at both firms generally though if I stay with my current firm, I will be transferring offices post pandemic and have been told that I shouldn't expect to do the work that interests me more, that I will have to work with the partners physically present in said office--which is of less interest to me. These other corporate offers include a 50k signing bonus and the option to WFH for at-least a year if not permanently after.

I've done a little corporate work, it was ok, definitely things I didn't like about it (like firedrills and the constant flow of emails) but I'm starting to think that I can't necessarily escape this in litigation. I'm starting to think Biglaw sucks in general and that maybe I should just try and take as much money as possible. The hard thing is that at my current firm, a lot of the litigation matters seem interesting, but as mentioned above, I will be transferring offices post pandemic (no desire to be in NYC at all) and was told explicitly not to expect to work on the matters that interest me. So that obviously is concerning. Furthermore, I think I am fantasying these litigation matters. Like wow "X" sounds so cool, but in the end, its still pretty menial tasks (I'm a junior). Additionally, I'm not confident in what I want to do post Biglaw which makes this decision even harder, or if I even want to be a lawyer, I simply don't know. I really have no idea and my offers with these firms expire soon.

What should I do? If I take an offer and decide I don't like it, would it be hard as a corporate associate to then lateral back to a different firm as a litigation associate? Or should I ride it out at this firm, see how I like litigation, forgo the 50k and WFH at these other firms, and if I don't like it, try again to lateral to be a corporate associate? I know these are first world problems, but choices can suck nonetheless when you don't have a clear direction for what you want to do with your life.

attorney589753

Bronze

Re: Need Help Deciding Between Offers

Post by attorney589753 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:56 pm

Obviously the main factor in your decision is whether you'd rather be doing corporate or lit. It seems like you have no idea. I think most people here will tell you that lit is better. Junior kind of sucks no matter what group. I would try and look ahead to what tasks is it that third years are doing, fourth years are doing...where would I rather be. Overall I am a bit believer in keep trying new things until you find something that sticks — sounds like you know you don't like lit that much -- so would probably make the switch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 8:12 pm

OP here.

Its not so much that I don't like lit, its more that if I transfer to this other office (really don't want to live in NYC) then I won't get NYC based work (which I think interests me more). I have to say, I think its absolutely mind boggling that in a post pandemic world a firm is forcing associates to be staffed on matters where a partner is physically present, but that's the world we live in I guess. So it really is a question of, do I go to X office thinking I can somehow out maneuver the firm and get the work I want? Forgoing the 50k signing bonus and WFH flexibility or take the offer and stick it out a year doing corporate work (which can be equally as tedious and boring) and see if that is interesting for me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 12, 2021 12:30 am

Corp. associate here - if you don’t like constant emails and fire drills do NOT go to corporate. Your life will be that, especially during this economy hence the $50k signing bonuses. It’s truly a constant hamster wheel and you will not have a life during Q4. I have spent every Thanksgiving through NYE working deals to close by end of tax year.

I know that while firms are all about being remote, my firm won’t have a certain practice’s associates in an office where there isn’t a partner from that practice in that office. I imagine that matters more for litigation due to court appearances that won’t be via Zoom, local rules, being barred, etc.? I don’t know much about that but yeah.

Can you lateral to another firm that is in your new market and has litigation work that you’re interested in?

attorney589753

Bronze

Post by attorney589753 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:12 pm
OP here.

Its not so much that I don't like lit, its more that if I transfer to this other office (really don't want to live in NYC) then I won't get NYC based work (which I think interests me more). I have to say, I think its absolutely mind boggling that in a post pandemic world a firm is forcing associates to be staffed on matters where a partner is physically present, but that's the world we live in I guess. So it really is a question of, do I go to X office thinking I can somehow out maneuver the firm and get the work I want? Forgoing the 50k signing bonus and WFH flexibility or take the offer and stick it out a year doing corporate work (which can be equally as tedious and boring) and see if that is interesting for me?
I think in the longterm, if you are good associate, you can generally find the work you want. But harder to pull that off as a first or second year and you may have to move firms to do it. Sounds like you should stay in lit but [1] try to find a new firm that will let you do work you want in non-NYC office; [2] build up more experience and leverage in NYC for a couple years and then move or [3] transfer office and see if you can maneuver it. Pursuing #1 seems to have little downside. You could talk to other associates at the firm about odds of success for #3.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:56 pm

I think it’ll be difficult going back to litigation. Because saying “oops, I made a mistake” is probably not going to go over well. But you have good credentials, so I wouldn’t say it’s impossible. However, it may be at a “lower” firm.

bigboybob

New

Post by bigboybob » Wed May 12, 2021 2:22 pm

OP here.

Yes, my worry is that if I take the corporate offer, it will be harder actually to switch back to litigation after a year if I didn't think it was a good fit--despite the recruiter saying it wouldn't be that difficult.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2021 2:32 am

You should also know that if you get an opportunity to switch back there is a solid chance you’ll be given a haircut in terms of class year/salary because you’d be retooling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”