Changing offices after SA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Changing offices after SA?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 9:23 am

I got an SA position at my top firm but was asked to pick between two different offices on the spot and panicked and ended up picking one when I hadn't fully decided which one I was more interested in yet (I was hoping to speak with more associates before deciding). I'm starting to regret my decision and I'm wondering how difficult or frowned upon it would be to change offices after my SA or after my first year. Neither office is particularly more competitive than the other.

whats an updog

Bronze

Re: Changing offices after SA?

Post by whats an updog » Tue May 11, 2021 11:20 am

Shouldn't be a problem. In my class we both had someone join from another office after starting and someone leave to another office after the summer. Just talk to the recruiting person and they will give you a straight answer. Even if they say no for whatever reason, it won't affect anything.

TheBlueDevil

New

Re: Changing offices after SA?

Post by TheBlueDevil » Tue May 11, 2021 2:36 pm

I think this is pretty doable, but it can vary by firm and by office. At my firm, it's fairly easy to move from a satellite office to any of the major market offices or between any of the major market offices, but harder to go from major market to satellite or between satellites, unless there's a demand in the target satellite office or at least a partner available to supervise you in your practice area of interest. It's not exactly common, but certainly not unheard of or frowned upon at my firm. One person in my SA class made the move. They just asked recruiting/HR after receiving their return offer. This will probably be easier than ever after COVID-19 and the boom in remote working.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”