Think Ropes & Gray earned its own thread (3 day work week) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSReturntoWork

New

Think Ropes & Gray earned its own thread (3 day work week)

Post by TLSReturntoWork » Mon May 10, 2021 9:48 pm

How can associates make a three-day work week the norm? I would legitimately lateral from my V5 to Ropes & Gray and feel like associates should be pushing hard for their firms to follow suit. But do we have any organizing power to make R&G the norm and not exception? Maybe not structurally, but there has to be something we can do to make this a thing.

https://abovethelaw.com/2021/05/ropes-g ... ssociates/

Edit: In case it's not obvious, though it should be because this is biglaw, I mean that R&G is allowing three-day in person not three days working and 4 day weekend. It would be great if we never have to go back to the office five days a week.

Anonymous User

Re: Think Ropes & Gray earned its own thread (3 day work week)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 pm

No one wants to go back.

I am working from home twice a week until explicitly yelled at. Other associates should too. Be the change you want to see.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 10:51 pm

My firm is expecting everyone to be back in the office starting June 15. People are not enthused

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Tue May 11, 2021 12:59 am

They haven't made it official for us yet (top 35, NYC office), but we're likely to be 3 days/week as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 1:04 am

Starting in Mid June I expect to go to office Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10-4:30 and otherwise just permanently work remotely unless explicitly and firmly told otherwise. If explicitly and firmly told otherwise I’ll comply, but let’s see if this passive aggressive industry actually does that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 1:40 am

Just a first year but my understanding is that Hogan Lovells will be pretty flexible about in-office requirements. IIRC the Amercas managing partner said that no one would be expected to be in the office 5 days a week at a town hall a while ago. I imagine the exact contours will be somewhat practice or partner dependent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 7:12 am

Anonymous because R&G mid level.

This announcement didn’t go over too well with midlevels at the firm. They actually said the expectation is that we are in at least 3 days a week and that may increase in 2022 (not that far away). At the same time the firm is incredibly busy, no one has time for a commute, and the firm is offering no solutions about how we are supposed to make this work.

cisscum

New

Post by cisscum » Tue May 11, 2021 7:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:12 am

This announcement didn’t go over too well with midlevels at the firm. They actually said the expectation is that we are in at least 3 days a week and that may increase in 2022 (not that far away). At the same time the firm is incredibly busy, no one has time for a commute, and the firm is offering no solutions about how we are supposed to make this work.
Yeah, that was my reaction to this thread. 3 days a week in the office sucks gents and ladies. Let's shoot for more remote time

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 9:34 am

Agree - if anything we should be talking about the firms that have offered 100% remote. I know Goodwin has already said associates never have to return to an office.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 9:55 am

Guys, I work at a V10 in NYC. I don’t want to go back to the office- believe me. However, once they start requiring people to go into the office and stop using Zoom/having in-person meetings whenever they want, it’ll be quite difficult to not go into the office, especially with a bunch of little gunners running to the office to suck dick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 9:59 am

I'll echo the others ITT. 2 days a week WFH should be the bare minimum, and if my V50 firm doesn't at least match that, I'm gone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Can you clarify why this didn't go over well? Were people expecting more flexibility?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 11:31 am

At firms that will start allowing 2-3 days WFH a week, how do y'all think doing a 3 weeks in/1 week wfh a month would go over? I have somewhat unique circumstances that would make this a much more favorable arrangement for the next few years than having WFH every week, and theoretically I'd only be doing ~5 WFH days a month instead of ~8

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:45 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Can you clarify why this didn't go over well? Were people expecting more flexibility?
Not sure why youre posting anonymously, but yes. The firm’s work is at a fever pitch, three days a week is onerous and incredibly burdensome, and there was the threat that starting Jan 2022 it could increase to 4 or more days required in. Just let attorneys he professionals and figure out what works for them (as Goodwin, Kirkland, Cooley, etc has said).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:45 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Not sure why youre posting anonymously, but yes. The firm’s work is at a fever pitch, three days a week is onerous and incredibly burdensome, and there was the threat that starting Jan 2022 it could increase to 4 or more days required in. Just let attorneys he professionals and figure out what works for them (as Goodwin, Kirkland, Cooley, etc has said).
Yeah, I am not sure why people are trumpeting R&G's policy as an example of how to do this right, I read it the complete opposite of how ATL did. Semi-required three days face time is awful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:55 am
Guys, I work at a V10 in NYC. I don’t want to go back to the office- believe me. However, once they start requiring people to go into the office and stop using Zoom/having in-person meetings whenever they want, it’ll be quite difficult to not go into the office, especially with a bunch of little gunners running to the office to suck dick.
Concurring from my V10 or 20 or whatever we are. WFH will be a pandemic relic and cultural dead end because of the above dynamics.

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Concurring from my V10 or 20 or whatever we are. WFH will be a pandemic relic and cultural dead end because of the above dynamics.
By all means, give them my work. I have way too much anyways. Happy for Partners to find other pets.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 12:33 pm

smile0751 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
By all means, give them my work. I have way too much anyways. Happy for Partners to find other pets.
Yep. This only matters if you want to make partner or are super worried about losing your job. As long as I'm making my hours, I'm fine not being seen as a gunner or the superstar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 1:25 pm

I’m curious how long firms like Kirkland, Goodwin and Orrick will allow 100% remote associates. They’re obviously doing this out of necessity since they’re so busy.

As wishful as I am about law firms adapting, I highly doubt they will—at least permanently.

Unfortunately, I think most firms will be like Ropes.

FWIW, I’m at a peer firm and the firm has said that it won’t adopt a formal WFH policy.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Who cares? This doesn't matter whatsoever unless you are gunning for partner yourself, which is a fool's errand at a V10 already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:25 pm
I’m curious how long firms like Kirkland, Goodwin and Orrick will allow 100% remote associates. They’re obviously doing this out of necessity since they’re so busy.

As wishful as I am about law firms adapting, I highly doubt they will—at least permanently.

Unfortunately, I think most firms will be like Ropes.

FWIW, I’m at a peer firm and the firm has said that it won’t adopt a formal WFH policy.
Kirkland is relying on more carrots than sticks so far. My office now has free coffee (from the pseudo coffee shop thing with barista, not the machines that were always free), free lunch, and free happy hours daily. They are trying to see how many people they can bring back to the office voluntarily - at least for now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Tue May 11, 2021 2:42 pm

LOL being required to be in the office three days a week is not a win

Frutsie

New

Post by Frutsie » Tue May 11, 2021 3:24 pm

whats an updog wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:42 pm
LOL being required to be in the office three days a week is not a win
Completely agree. Only way we win is if we are not required to come into the office at all/only come in when necessary. Perkins Coie did a better job than Ropes & Gray tbh.

lolwutpar

Bronze

Post by lolwutpar » Tue May 11, 2021 3:52 pm

I don't really care whatever the official policy ends up being, I'll go in as little as possible, maybe 1 day a week, if that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 4:16 pm

Three days a week is better than nothing. You could probably skate by with two if you're a midlevel with a steady stream of work.

My firm is encouraging us to basically go back full time, but I plan to WFH on Mondays and Fridays until explicitly yelled at. It sucks because I love my group, and the lifestyle is reasonable by biglaw standards, but no WFH seriously impedes on my quality of life. I never want to go back five days a week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”