When to panic? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to panic?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 5:14 pm

I wrote about this earlier this year when I lateraled, but I can’t seem to find that post.

I lateraled at the beginning of the year and have been SLOW. I was giving it a couple of months, but now I’m a few months in and taking further and further behind the firm’s hours requirement for a bonus/special bonus. I already missed the spring bonus requirement, so I’ll have to wait until the end of the year for that.

I think the rest of my team is generally busy, which makes all of this worse. I’m on a lot of deals, but they all go quiet at the same time, so there are days I have nothing to do. I reach out to our practice group coordinator to let her know I have availability, but never ever materializes.

I also volunteer for pro bono, but we haven’t had many opportunities so I haven’t been staffed on a matter yet.

Should I start panicking soon? Unless work picks up big time (a couple of 250+ months), I won’t hit my hours.

I’ve been getting daily calls/emails from recruiters in town saying that firms will guarantee my bonuses if I move. There are a ton of positions actively hiring in my area, so it’s enticing. However, I really like my team and don’t want to move again.

I’ll keep trying to get more pro bono, but anyone have any suggestions as to why else I should do?

giggaman1228

New

Re: When to panic?

Post by giggaman1228 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Why would you panic?? Presumably you're an adult, not a drama queen. What kind of question is this? Maybe you get fired tomorrow. Maybe work picks up tomorrow. That's life?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 6:37 pm

giggaman1228 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:37 pm
Why would you panic?? Presumably you're an adult, not a drama queen. What kind of question is this? Maybe you get fired tomorrow. Maybe work picks up tomorrow. That's life?
Jesus people are mean here for no particular reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 6:47 pm

A person can be both an adult and drama queen.

I guess panic wasn’t the right word. However, if I stay at my firm, I may lose out on whatever the bonus for my class is ($109k or whatever). At what point should I just take the bait and leave for another firm that will guarantee that bonus. I have NO aspirations of being partner or advancing much more in law firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 pm

So you have no plans on being a partner, probably will lose out on $109k if you stay, but are guaranteed to get it if you move, and you are barely doing any work at your current job, where you presumably make over $200k? Do you like coasting at your very well paid position or would you rather potentially have to grind it out for a year but get the extra bonus? This seems like a win win position to be in. How much longer do you have in biglaw before you get out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 8:02 pm

BigLawer

Bronze

Post by BigLawer » Mon May 10, 2021 9:21 pm

I wouldn't worry. They are not going to fire a new lateral. It sucks not getting bonus, but your salary will go up again next year and you make good money. You really have two options (1) enjoy the slow times and grind as needed and know you may not get a bonus or (2) make a move and guarantee bonus and likely more hours. Honestly, if you want to just max value for a year or two (but are ok grinding), call up a friend at K&E, get a signing bonus, guaranteed year end bonus and tell them you want to split the referral bonus. If you don't know someone at K&E, PM me, but I am sure you do and they would appreciate you reaching out (so they can split the referral with you). We are in dire need of 2-5th years, so really every level at the associate ranks. This all assumes you are a transactional attorney.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2021 10:00 am

giggaman1228 wrote:
This is so unnecessary ... dude really?

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Tue May 11, 2021 11:25 am

giggaman1228 wrote:
Damn look at this bad ass.

For OP, I agree with the other people in this thread. I don't think there is any reason to panic about being slow--it happens for the oddest reasons--but if you're worried about the bonus $$$ you should hope to another firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:56 pm

giggaman1228 wrote:
This is an asinine post and you should be embarrassed for yourself. Please do better or leave.

OP, you should be concerned, no doubt, especially if others are busy. Firms are generally slammed right now. Keep volunteering for work to key partners (but stop once you're staffed up, you don't want to overextend - you can seesaw from slow to overwhelmed in a heartbeat). If they don't give you work, you can point to that in your review to at least show it's not on you. If this continues and they mention your low hours in your review, you may want to lateral.

giggaman1228

New

Post by giggaman1228 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:38 pm

I think it was an asinine question. Asking people when to panic is not a worthwhile question, although I get that stressing is the bread and butter of this kind of forum. As to the poster who said laterals can't be fired quickly -- what is that based on? I know one at Sheppard Mullin who was fired in six months. It wasn't really due to low hours, but more that the key partner wasn't a fan.

The bottom line as I said, is that life in biglaw is hard to predict, and no one can truly tell when your job is in danger. Situations are so different that the question has no meaning. But, if the question is when to "panic," that's easy. Don't do it.

flowersandsunshine

New

Post by flowersandsunshine » Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 pm

BigLawer wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:21 pm
I wouldn't worry. They are not going to fire a new lateral. It sucks not getting bonus, but your salary will go up again next year and you make good money. You really have two options (1) enjoy the slow times and grind as needed and know you may not get a bonus or (2) make a move and guarantee bonus and likely more hours. Honestly, if you want to just max value for a year or two (but are ok grinding), call up a friend at K&E, get a signing bonus, guaranteed year end bonus and tell them you want to split the referral bonus. If you don't know someone at K&E, PM me, but I am sure you do and they would appreciate you reaching out (so they can split the referral with you). We are in dire need of 2-5th years, so really every level at the associate ranks. This all assumes you are a transactional attorney.
But isn't this precisely what Goodwin did at the beginning of the pandemic? I personally know recent laterals who got caught up in the mass stealth layoffs.

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Fri May 14, 2021 11:30 am

giggaman1228 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:38 pm
I think it was an asinine question. Asking people when to panic is not a worthwhile question, although I get that stressing is the bread and butter of this kind of forum. As to the poster who said laterals can't be fired quickly -- what is that based on? I know one at Sheppard Mullin who was fired in six months. It wasn't really due to low hours, but more that the key partner wasn't a fan.

The bottom line as I said, is that life in biglaw is hard to predict, and no one can truly tell when your job is in danger. Situations are so different that the question has no meaning. But, if the question is when to "panic," that's easy. Don't do it.
You were being mean. You were called out on it multiple times. Take the advice and try to be a little better moving forward. No need to double down in this case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:34 am

giggaman1228 wrote:

You should consider a side job as a therapist.

Wearthewildthingsr

New

Post by Wearthewildthingsr » Tue May 18, 2021 11:33 am

giggaman1228 wrote:

Just take the L and realize you’re a dick. You’re a dick.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”