Office Etiquette... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cchip81

New

Office Etiquette...

Post by cchip81 » Sun May 09, 2021 8:43 pm

I started at a new firm about 10 months before covid started and then due to covid a work from home policy was put into place. I basically work directly for one Partner and this Partner loves to be in the office from early morning until one of the last to leave at night. I am not sure if there is a rule, but out of respect I would stay every night until the Partner would leave. The firm also does not offer meal reimbursement. Therefore, by the time I would get home I would not be eating dinner until at least 8:30pm and then falling asleep not so much after that and it just was not a healthy situation. I should also mention, I would have no problem staying and working late if there was work to do, but a lot of the time I was just sitting at my desk waiting to leave. Working at home has allowed me to eat much earlier even if I still need to get work done. We have now been told that we need to start reporting back to the office a few days a week and one of the things giving me anxiety is getting back into this routine in having to sit there and wait. I guess I am just wondering if what I am doing is the right thing by staying until the Partner leaves and I just need to suck it up and get back into that or if at this point I can just be like "hey...I am leaving, if anything is needed I can go log on from home".

Silver

Re: Office Etiquette...

Post by 2013 » Sun May 09, 2021 10:32 pm

cchip81 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:43 pm
I started at a new firm about 10 months before covid started and then due to covid a work from home policy was put into place. I basically work directly for one Partner and this Partner loves to be in the office from early morning until one of the last to leave at night. I am not sure if there is a rule, but out of respect I would stay every night until the Partner would leave. The firm also does not offer meal reimbursement. Therefore, by the time I would get home I would not be eating dinner until at least 8:30pm and then falling asleep not so much after that and it just was not a healthy situation. I should also mention, I would have no problem staying and working late if there was work to do, but a lot of the time I was just sitting at my desk waiting to leave. Working at home has allowed me to eat much earlier even if I still need to get work done. We have now been told that we need to start reporting back to the office a few days a week and one of the things giving me anxiety is getting back into this routine in having to sit there and wait. I guess I am just wondering if what I am doing is the right thing by staying until the Partner leaves and I just need to suck it up and get back into that or if at this point I can just be like "hey...I am leaving, if anything is needed I can go log on from home".
Just leave without telling the partner. You don’t want to draw attention to the fact that you’re leaving before him or her.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Sun May 09, 2021 11:26 pm

2013 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:32 pm
cchip81 wrote:
Just leave without telling the partner. You don’t want to draw attention to the fact that you’re leaving before him or her.
This is right. The partner won't care or notice that you stayed in the office from 5-8 p.m. sitting around doing nothing just in case they needed something. They will absolutely notice if you don't respond promptly to the new assignment they send you unexpectedly at 9 p.m., regardless of where you're working from.

We're in a post-COVID world now where even the partners who thrived on facetime have had to reset their expectations. This is the best chance you'll ever get to tactfully set new boundaries that fit with your desired working preferences (within reason).

cchip81

New

Post by cchip81 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:55 am

2013 wrote:
cchip81 wrote:
Our offices are very close to one another.....I just leave and don't say anything?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:58 am

cchip81 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:55 am
2013 wrote:
cchip81 wrote:
Our offices are very close to one another.....I just leave and don't say anything?
If their office door is open (a pretty decent sign that they aren't working on anything and don't need you to stick around anyway), then "See you tomorrow!" Or if you want to be a real go-getter: "Shoot me an email if anything comes up tonight."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 1:08 pm

cchip81 wrote:
100%. Telling him you’re going is an invitation for him to take advantage of you (whether maliciously or just thoughtlessly). I lateraled to a small firm from a much larger firm and sometimes feel self-conscious about this myself, but it’s much better than setting the expectation that the norm is for you to wait around for him, and that you leaving at a reasonable time is somehow inappropriate. One thing I did at the beginning when I felt particularly awkward about this was wait until the partner near me was on the phone or had stepped out - no need to make the decision about whether to say bye in that case.

lolwutpar

Bronze

Post by lolwutpar » Mon May 10, 2021 1:25 pm

I deliberately chose an office that let me go straight out and exit through a side door. Y'all are wild if you just sit in your office waiting for people to leave. It's one thing to be a first year leaving at 5 pm when everyone else is still there, it's another thing entirely staying past 8 pm with nothing to do.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Mon May 10, 2021 4:13 pm

cchip81 wrote:
2013 wrote:
cchip81 wrote:
Just save goodbye and say see you tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”