In house funds - mega fund or smaller fund? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In house funds - mega fund or smaller fund?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2021 9:45 pm

I’m a 5th year funds associate looking to go in house to a PE fund and I was wondering if people had any thoughts on the differences between targeting mega shops like blackstone and kkr compared to middle market shops with smaller legal teams.

Which is better for hours? Any idea of comp for each?

Anonymous User

Re: In house funds - mega fund or smaller fund?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 9:19 am

I’ve worked in house for funds and have many friends in the industry so think I can provide some perspective. I think some of it comes down to preference ultimately, but I’ll try to put some pros and cons below:

Small shops: Everything really varies based on the shop. You can have great comp and tons of autonomy, or less great comp and end up somewhere that is a total cult of personality with an insane principal. Generally, I think you can expect comp in the biglaw range from shops managing 2 billion plus, so there shouldn’t be much variation at that point. Larger places with the small shop feel (the real sweet spot) may pay more. Your role at a smaller place will be much broader (which I would prefer) but your exit options may be fewer (less name recognition). Hours definitely vary here. If you have a crazed deal team you might be on at all times. You can usually expect to be the number two (or number one if you stick it out until 6/7 year) so you’ll find yourself dealing with non fund formation stuff that may take extra time.

Large funds: Anecdotally have heard Blackstone sucks to work for in legal and comp is not good. I also think some of the more corporate places like Blackstone pay less and are worse/more bureaucratic vs KKR/Cerberus type shops that just manage a lot of assets but may have less hierarchy. I personally would avoid the corporate type funds like the plague. It’s very hard to get raises once you are in the door, your role is much more limited, and you have less exposure to other areas of the firm. You have a ton of name recognition if you need to GTFO. Generally, I have heard hours are worse at the large funds.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 9:28 am

not OP but also interested. based on the post above, it looks like hours will be bad regardless of where you exit into.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 12, 2021 8:17 am

Bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”