lateral before a clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

lateral before a clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 1:25 pm

Hi, I'm currently a 1st year litigation associate at a V20 with a clerkship lined up for fall 2022. I'm considering lateralling to a different firm for about a year before my clerkship starts, and was wondering if this is advisable, assuming that the offer is with a reputable firm.

Anonymous User

Re: lateral before a clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2021 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:25 pm
Hi, I'm currently a 1st year litigation associate at a V20 with a clerkship lined up for fall 2022. I'm considering lateralling to a different firm for about a year before my clerkship starts, and was wondering if this is advisable, assuming that the offer is with a reputable firm.
Is the other firm somewhere you'd like to return to after clerking? (I'm also currently clerking in district court but have a COA lined up next so am generally thinking about this sort of stuff often)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2021 9:17 am

dup

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2021 10:34 am

I would probably avoid it unless (a) you see the new firm as a place you would like to work for a couple years after the clerkship, or (b) you are miserable or not getting good work at your current firm.

Clerkships can open up doors, but a firm interviewing you post-clerkship may be wary about hiring you if it would be your third firm and fourth legal job in four years. So absent somewhat compelling circumstances, I would avoid it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2021 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:34 am
I would probably avoid it unless (a) you see the new firm as a place you would like to work for a couple years after the clerkship, or (b) you are miserable or not getting good work at your current firm.

Clerkships can open up doors, but a firm interviewing you post-clerkship may be wary about hiring you if it would be your third firm and fourth legal job in four years. So absent somewhat compelling circumstances, I would avoid it.
Thanks. This helps. The firm I'm currently working for is more of a corporate powerhouse than a litigation one. Our lit department is generally seen as "okay," and I've been considering lateralling to a more reputable shop to build up my resume. But I see it could definitely come across as a red flag for employers if they see that I worked at two different firms in the period of 3 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”