Things to do when lateraling Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Things to do when lateraling

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 am

I will soon be lateraling and I want to know what things I should consider when making the move. For example, I know I need to find a way to ensure that my insurance is uninterrupted and that I will need to roll over my 401K to my new employer. What other things should I consider?

Anonymous User

Re: Things to do when lateraling

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 am

Update to personal email and passwords for any newsletters or logins for non-firm paid websites that come to your firm email, bookmarks of websites (if that's something you do), reviews and other personal materials, paystubs from your HR software (in case you're paranoid about recordkeeping like me), save your non-client contacts and notify others (e.g., alumni association board), etc.

If you have a 401(k) match then confirm when your match vests and be sure to leave after that date, if feasible.

lawlo

New

Post by lawlo » Thu May 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 am
Update to personal email and passwords for any newsletters or logins for non-firm paid websites that come to your firm email, bookmarks of websites (if that's something you do), reviews and other personal materials, paystubs from your HR software (in case you're paranoid about recordkeeping like me), save your non-client contacts and notify others (e.g., alumni association board), etc.

If you have a 401(k) match then confirm when your match vests and be sure to leave after that date, if feasible.
A 401(k) match? What kind of fancy job do you think this is?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:18 pm

I’d immediately book a vacation to a tropical place and start at my new firm only after vacation is over. Blow money on this. Like 5k. It will set you back a month biglaw salary wise but you’ll make fantastic memories and never have more fun.

NewSouthernAssociate

New

Post by NewSouthernAssociate » Fri May 07, 2021 12:10 am

If you’re in litigation, create a list of your case names/numbers/jurisdictions so that you can easily look up motions to use as samples if you encounter similar issues at your new firm.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 am

Echoing the bolded. Sometimes you need access to the email you signed up with to change usernames and such. It was an annoying process for some websites.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”