Is litigation or corporate easier to do remotely? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MrLions

New

Is litigation or corporate easier to do remotely?

Post by MrLions » Wed May 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Ceteris paribus, is it easier to work remotely if you're in a biglaw litigation group or a biglaw corporate group? Or would face-time requirements be about the same?

Excellent117

Bronze

Re: Is litigation or corporate easier to do remotely?

Post by Excellent117 » Wed May 05, 2021 1:14 pm

There is not a single thing I do in my corporate practice that requires me to be in an office setting in order to get it done. Not really knowing what litigators do on a day-to-day basis whatsoever, I have to imagine the clear answer here is corporate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 1:57 pm

MrLions wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:59 pm
Ceteris paribus

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Wed May 05, 2021 1:59 pm

^ accidental anon

MrLions

New

Post by MrLions » Wed May 05, 2021 2:09 pm

"All else equal" -- better?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

replevin123

New

Post by replevin123 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:24 pm

MrLions wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:09 pm
Yes. Justified or not, like it or not, latin phrases like ceteris paribus signal affectation and aloofness. Sometimes a latin phrase is necessary or appropriate because it actually adds something above the closest English translation or because it is a term of art. But that doesn't apply here.

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Post by Definitely Not North » Wed May 05, 2021 2:30 pm

replevin123 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:24 pm
MrLions wrote:
Yes. Justified or not, like it or not, latin phrases like ceteris paribus signal affectation and aloofness. Sometimes a latin phrase is necessary or appropriate because it actually adds something above the closest English translation or because it is a term of art. But that doesn't apply here.
Yes and it's also suuuuper cringey and try-hard when lawyers try to sprinkle them in to regular, non-legal brief writing/talking. it does not sound cool. you're not a wizard

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Wed May 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Let OP do their thing without chastising them.

What’s prima facie worse than using Latin is derailing OP’s thread and chastising them for something irrelevant to the topic. Qui sine peccato est vestrum primus in illam lapidem mittat. (John 8:7).

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed May 05, 2021 3:10 pm

I think corporate has less *need* to ever be in the office. Like you aren't printing out briefs/motions/attending depos/prepping clients for depos etc.

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if the average corporate partner was more into talking through deal logistics in person etc.

Also, you are much more likely to have all nighters as corporate and if that is with a partner who wants face time it gets rough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrLions

New

Post by MrLions » Wed May 05, 2021 3:50 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:10 pm
I think corporate has less *need* to ever be in the office. Like you aren't printing out briefs/motions/attending depos/prepping clients for depos etc.

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if the average corporate partner was more into talking through deal logistics in person etc.

Also, you are much more likely to have all nighters as corporate and if that is with a partner who wants face time it gets rough.
Thanks, Auxilio. This makes sense. FWIW, I know of a V10 mid-level/senior associate who did funds work and was permanently remote even before Covid--probably not super common though. In general, I'm hoping partners allow more flexibility regarding remote work in the future, e.g. 1-2 days/wk remote as the standard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 6:21 pm

MrLions wrote:
Yeah way better. The cringe level was through the roofs and I live on the 8th floor of a 50-story building.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 7:55 pm

At my firm, the transactional groups are much more relaxed than the litigation group. I am still WFH and doubt I’ll go in more than 3 days a week going forward. The litigators have been going in since March.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed May 05, 2021 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:55 pm
At my firm, the transactional groups are much more relaxed than the litigation group. I am still WFH and doubt I’ll go in more than 3 days a week going forward. The litigators have been going in since March.
That’s terrible.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:35 am

I'd assume corporate because litigation prima facie has, inter alia, elements that (once the pandemic is over) will always require you to leave your domus. Although we've been doing remote depositions, appearances, et cetera, that's always been understood to be temporary, not ad infinitum.

Corpus delicti. E pluribus unum. Veni, vidi, vici.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”