Time to accept lateral offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Time to accept lateral offer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 12:19 pm

Hi all,

1) I received an offer letter early last week for a lateral position and was hoping to make a final decision this weekend; however, I still feel like I need more time. What is a reasonable amount of time to take without rubbing ppl the wrong way? There was no "deadline" in the offer letter.

2) FWIW, I actually know the partners at the lateral firm well as have been across from them on several deals. Have had multiple conversations with them so it wasn't really the normal, formal lateral process. They also made several generous concessions/offers to me. If I end up saying no, what is the kindest way to do this, as I would still like to maintain the relationship / keep the door open as much as possible?

Silver

Re: Time to accept lateral offer

Post by 2013 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:33 pm

Not sure if you can keep that door open if you negotiated a good offer from them and turned it down, no matter how gracefully you decline.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 3:43 pm

Also curious about how much of an extension is acceptable.

What concessions did they make? The lateral market right now is pretty insane so it may just be normal course items

Best

New

Post by Best » Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 pm

Two weeks is pretty standard for an offer. If you're worried about them rescinding it regardless or need even more time, then I'd reach out to them to buy time.

Thank them again and let them know you're hoping to have the chance to fully discuss the opportunity with your mentor or spouse as you value their input and will have a response by this weekend, next week, or whenever.

Any longer than that, and I think you'd need a legitimate explanation or you risk sound very disinterested.

I've seen people get 2 weeks on top of a 2 week lateral offer, and I've heard of longer. But I'd assume asking for a long extension without a legitimate reason is risking your offer being rescinded.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 4:08 pm

I had an offer rescinded because I was buying time. I was honest and said I was choosing between two firms and had just gotten the other offer. Made the decision easier I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 4:13 pm

Best wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 pm
Two weeks is pretty standard for an offer. If you're worried about them rescinding it regardless or need even more time, then I'd reach out to them to buy time.

Thank them again and let them know you're hoping to have the chance to fully discuss the opportunity with your mentor or spouse as you value their input and will have a response by this weekend, next week, or whenever.

Any longer than that, and I think you'd need a legitimate explanation or you risk sound very disinterested.

I've seen people get 2 weeks on top of a 2 week lateral offer, and I've heard of longer. But I'd assume asking for a long extension without a legitimate reason is risking your offer being rescinded.
Thanks - if 2 weeks good then I think I am good. I'm willing to assume the risk they may rescind.

For person asking about concessions above, will just say money and flexibility (by biglaw standards anyways) - don't want to give any other details.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 12, 2021 9:16 am

Bump. I am in a similar situation in that I have an expiring offer from one firm. I am still waiting to hear back from another firm that is my first choice, and don't want to make a decision prior to finishing my interviews with them.

Has anyone been able to successfully request for more time from a firm without having their lateral offer rescinded/showing disinterest? Not sure what the best way is to handle this, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”