Lateraling while pregnant Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateraling while pregnant

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:09 pm

Midlevel biglaw associate here. I’m currently in the second trimester of my pregnancy (haven’t really disclosed to my current firm). Got signs that things are not doing great with my current firm (low hours, partners checking in, etc) and want to start looking. What’s the best practice given my situation? I’m not entirely happy with my current job so if I can get out ASAP I would, but any new firm would have to consider that I’m going into maternity leave pretty soon. Can I negotiate a lower class year for a paid maternity leave? Would my pregnancy be a significant obstacle in getting a job? Any similar experience or advice is welcome.

Definitely Not North

Bronze

Re: Lateraling while pregnant

Post by Definitely Not North » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:35 pm

I don't know, the play here might be to scrape by until you can go on maternity leave at your current firm, then use that (paid) period to line up your next gig. Do you think there's real risk they give you the talk before you can cash in the leave?

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:42 pm

Congrats OP!

I'm not a parent, so take this all with a grain of salt, but as soon as you decide to disclose your pregnancy to the firm they will be very reluctant to push you out - no one wants a pregnancy discrimination claim, and big law firms are very cautious. I don't think that should necessarily reflect your timeline for telling people, but if you're concerned you're going to get some sort of mid-year talking to, it may be worth getting ahead of that.

If you can make it at your current firm until your leave starts, then you can come back and start looking for a new position immediately, and enjoy your leave without having to worry about how folks at a place you intend to stay feel about you being gone (not that you should ever worry about that, but...that's big law for you). I've had multiple coworkers look for new jobs at the end of their leave or in the ramp up period when they come back to work, so I don't think it's unusual to be looking while you're out on leave, although obviously it's hard to start at a new place with a new baby when you will need more flexibility, so I've seen folks wait to look until they're back at their current firm, and then start looking to lateral after that.

I know someone who lateraled while pregnant, didn't disclose to the new firm until she started, and they still gave her the full leave because no one wants to be a jerk, but your mileage may vary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:46 pm

OP here. Our firm has biannual reviews so reviews are coming up in the middle of the year, and my due date is in the fall/winter. So yeah, there’s a chance that I could’ve been given the talk before I go on maternity leave. I also don’t want the clock to start while I’m heavily pregnant so that’s why I’m thinking about looking now instead of waiting. Although there are mixed signals, such as recently staffing me on cases that wouldn’t make sense if they want to get my ass out of the door soon.

doctor

New

Post by doctor » Sat May 01, 2021 1:36 am

Use the leave time to interview for new jobs and put in your notice the week you’re back from leave. It’s good timing because you won’t need to drop off any work streams.

Feel free to PM me if you’re interested in Kirkland and we can set this up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”