Typical Big Law start date? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Typical Big Law start date?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:02 am

I'm an incoming associate at SullCrom, and they (like most firms) haven't given us a start date yet. I was curious if anyone knew what the typical start dates are for big firms in NYC (or S&C specifically if you know), even in the pre-COVID era. I ask because I have a un-movable conflict on a particular friday in mid-September, and am worried that it will fall during my firm's 1-week mandatory orientation.

bigchiefhoho

New

Re: Typical Big Law start date?

Post by bigchiefhoho » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:05 pm

I think early-to-mid September was pretty standard, pre-covid. I'd email whoever your contact is in HR, mention this unavoidable conflict, and ask if they can give any guidance. In my experience (and at my firm, at least), they're usually very understanding and happy to help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:59 pm

S&C usually starts in early September, often the Tuesday after Labor Day, and I don’t recall them having multiple start dates like some firms do (other than for one-offs like someone with a late-ending clerkship). They’re definitely one of the earlier starts in NYC. However, all bets are still kind of off due to COVID. As the other person who responded said, you can just email whoever your contact is and explain your situation and say you just wanted to check in to see if they had any more clarity on the start date yet. As long as you’re polite and don’t act aggressively presumptuous about your ability to be off that day (doesn’t go over well at S&C), they won’t care. Even if it does end up being a conflict, you can probably work it out to miss that day as long as you’re not obnoxious about it.

flowersandsunshine

New

Post by flowersandsunshine » Fri May 14, 2021 10:40 am

Bumping this. Has anyone else not gotten their start date? V10 NY here if that matters.

TLSReturntoWork

New

Post by TLSReturntoWork » Sat May 15, 2021 10:58 am

At a V5 and if 2021 is anything like 2020, and we're not fully out of the pandemic so it could be, they'll give you an answer as late as possible, maybe in August. So don't panic because you haven't heard anything. The wait and inability to clearly plan things sucks, and it was even worse for 2020 because we were waiting for a start date AND to know we still had jobs as firms across the V100 were ghosting people, but it makes sense from the firm's POV not to commit to anything before they're ready/confident about the future. Of course, just because it makes sense does not mean it isn't fucked up to keep your planned future associates in the dark.

As someone said, in typical times it's closer to september/oct. My firm started us in November and others were as late as March (but mostly January).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mwells_56

New

Post by mwells_56 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:20 pm

Most recently I've heard from my V25 is that it's not set atm but probably mid-October ish

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 15, 2021 1:05 pm

Latham just gave us 3 options for start dates. One in mid-August, one in mid-September, and one in early October.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 15, 2021 2:36 pm

Any word on start dates this fall for bay area based firms, like Cooley, MoFo, Orrick, WSGR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 31, 2021 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:36 pm
Any word on start dates this fall for bay area based firms, like Cooley, MoFo, Orrick, WSGR?
Bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 31, 2021 9:26 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 31, 2021 11:42 pm

My V10 non-NY office traditionally let associates choose between September and October but this year is starting everyone in October. I assume WFH/return to office uncertainty played a role and they would like the fresh bodies to start in the office full time (or whatever full time in-office looks like moving forward).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”